Transfer Deadline Day: Skype to be set to 'busy'

Comments

• Can I go to bed yet?
  • Man city baned him from bringing his little black book with him =)
  • edited January 2022
    Just got home from football. Good to see nothing's happened since I've been away.

I cannot wait to see how Sullivan and Moyes try to justify this. Next season is going to be really tough with Villa and Newcastle spending big. Wolves look to have bounced back, Arsenal seem to be improving under Arteta.

The last two windows have been out chance to consolidate our position as top six contenders. And, IMO, we've absolutely blown it. You can't afford to stand still in this league, and it's exactly what we've done.
  • With our history of mostly poor windows I can’t remember the last time we brought in absolutely nobody or even really got close to anybody.
  • Lack of ambition, but also absolutely ridiculous we have not got a striker in as sensible back up to Antonio.
    Happy to eat humble pie if we stay in the top 6, but just don't get not replacing Haller 12 months later.
  • This one's a shocker. Unforgivable if we fall away.
  • We know the club are going to come out with a load of drivel as to why we haven’t signed anybody because they’ve been dropping hints from 1 Jan regarding how difficult it is.
    We are still 5th, at least until everyone has played the same number of matches, but we’ve not been that good for the last few matches and yet the fans have been fully behind them. It will be interesting to see how they react if we start to drop down the league and pick up a couple of key injuries because any excuses the club trot out won’t wash.
  • Fact, we will get injuries.
    Fact, we will have to rest players occasionally.
    Fact, I will remain annoyed that we haven't bought a striker to replace Haller.
  • Yup disappointing but at the end of the day it’s only football. I won’t lose sleep, the sun will come up and I’ll still be a West Ham supporter.

Worse things have happened in my life.
  • Perhaps Moyes is so conscious of leeks, he is waiting for the next team sheet to announce our new signings!😜
  • edited January 2022
    So, going into the second half of the season in three competitions, our strongest XI is:

Fab
    Coufal Dawson Zouma Cresswell
    Rice Soucek
    Bowen Fornals Benrahma
    Antonio

The shadow XI, who might be needed at any given moment, is:

Areola
    Johnson Diop Alese Masuaku
    Noble Kral
    Yarmolenko Lanzini Vlasic
    Perkins

How many of this second eleven would people have confidence in starting a PL or knock-EL game? For me, it's only four. At a push. If we lose Zouma (again) or Cresswell (again), or Bowen, or Antonio for any length of time, our season is shot. And that is 100% on Sullivan and Moyes.

Unnecessary, unforgivable and completely avoidable.
  • Breaking news: with 5 minutes to go there is no breaking news
  • Window now closed but in our case did it ever really open.
  • BREAKING: I’m back from the pub, eating a couple of slices of pizza. Much better choice than watching the deadline day threads.
  • Close the thread. Stop the count.
  • Five signings in three windows. Three of which were loans. And only two can be considered successes.

Moyes had a lot of credit in the bank, but he's dropped in my estimation recently. Complaining about having to play Antonio every game, complaining about a lack of energy in the team, but doing very little to mitigate it.

Antonio plays for Jamaica on Thursday, by the way. An injury feels almost inevitable.
  • Slacker said:

Yup disappointing but at the end of the day it’s only football. I won’t lose sleep, the sun will come up and I’ll still be a West Ham supporter.

Worse things have happened in my life.

I agree it is only football, and there are more things to worry about. However it is an important and big part of my life. I have invested a lot (of time and money) in West Ham, and therefore formulate ideals and expectations.
    I expected an improvement on the squad this transfer window. If we really had £50 million to spend, we could have done this. It has not happened and I am disappointed.
  • Is it too early to start a summer transfer window thread? Or is it just ditto?
  • edited January 2022
    So who has done least today?
    * Moyes
    * Newman
    * Sullivan
    * The poor person SSN had outside Rush Green all day.

Very disappointing day. I fear our fortune will still be hiding come May.
  • Those in charge are absolute crooks. I can't wait for them to go.
  • 2 more windows and GSB will be gone and have to hope and pray Kresintsky is better...
  • edited January 2022
    What makes it worse is the amount of work we now have to do in the summer.

Areola, Noble, Kral and Yarmolenko are gone in June, so there's four needed straight away. We need at least one striker, a better left back and a Diop replacement. That's seven players. We've only signed five in the last three windows.

I really don't understand how we've left ourselves in this situation. I'm just confused. I accepted a long time ago that Sullivan doesn't want European football or any kind of success; but I really thought Moyes would want more. I get that he wants to build over time, and build around Rice, but unfortunately I don't think he'll have either come the summer.
  • Snodgrass released
    West Brom have tonight parted ways with midfielder Robert Snodgrass by mutual agreement.

The former Scotland international made 15 appearances for the Baggies after arriving at The Hawthorns in January 2021.
  • Very poor. How many times have we been in the last 16 of a European competition ? If ever there was a time to go for it then it was this window.

• edited January 2022
    Quote from Noble on the transfer window:

"What he (Moyes) has said from day one is he’s not going to bring players in for the sake of it. He wants to improve the team, improve the squad and if you can’t get the right player he isn’t going to bring someone in that’s a waste of money if you know what I mean? Because I think we have done that in the past – not saying players are a waste of money – but it hasn’t quite worked or it hasn’t been the right character for the football club.

With the players the manager has brought in, you see they’ve worked and they’ve gelled with the squad.

So I think if it doesn’t work out, if we don’t get the players that we want then we’ll stick with what we’ve got and we’ll reinforce in the summer.”

So there we go. We'll reinforce in the summer. Because there's nobody available in world football right now that could improve on Diop at centre back or Yarmolenko up front.

It's all well and good looking for the right character, but what if they're not available in the summer either? Then what? Start the season with 14 senior players and look again in January? It's potentially never ending.
  • edited February 2022
    Former West Ham striker Dean Ashton has questioned the club's ambition after they missed out on January targets. (Talksport)
    He’s not the only one!!
  • Woke up with hope in my heart. Then read this thread. Deep gloom has returned 😨
  • Even if they said Zouma is back and we will take our chances he stays fit I don't think anyone thought they would allow us to go into The Europa and the second half of the season without any back up for Antonio. Dereliction of duty.
  • Any out of contract players we might be interested in ,When Antonio goes down
  • I’m getting on in years now and have supported the club since the early fifties, I’m now retired and not very well after a stroke and have an irregular heartbeat this limits my mobility and I live alone and watch every match online or tv if it’s on(can get ost channels SKY, BT etc) the way that team have lifted my spirits over the last 18 months has been fantastic but terribly disappointed with this window and feel very sad as feel we had a chance with a few signings to se me out on high because watching the games is rea all I do, I don’t want any sympathy as in the past I was season ticket hollder and live the cup finals in 64 & 65. It appears that my belief in GSB was sadly misplaced.
This discussion has been closed.