Transfer Deadline Day: Skype to be set to 'busy'

Comments

• edited January 2022
    There was me wanting a new shirt with a weird name on it ,guess that is not going to happen =)
  • Lukerz said:

So we end the window with (excluding Ogbonna) a fully fit squad, 5th in the league & in two cup competitions.

I’d have liked a CB & forward but it’s hardly the apocalypse.

Admire the glass-half-full approach Lukerz. Wish I could share it.

Problem for me is I suspect we won't finish 5th, and we won't progress very far in the cups, either.

Then, come the summer when we need at least 8 players, we'll struggle to attract players that Moyes believes will improve the first team, and we'll start the whole merry dance again.

This window, with a crystal clear knowledge of what was needed, was important to the remainder of this season and equally so for the future. And we blew it.

Moyes and the board have to wear this criticism now. They're in no position now to comment on fatigue, or a lack of energy, or injuries or suspensions hurting us. They've made a conscious decision to not strengthen, and they will have to face the fall out if we go backwards as a club.
  • If Lingard stays at Man Utd he still won’t play.
    So he won’t go to the World Cup . What a lack of ambition. Also why on earth would Man Utd stop him moving they have never given him any sort of game time so what is the point. Even Rashford who has been poor for ages gets more game time .
  • So trying to be calm and rational

The clubs we are competing with are...

United - haven't bought anyone

Spurs - Bentacur & Kulusevski in, but let go of Ndombele, Gil, Lo celso and Ali

Arsenal - no one in, but they've let go of some of their squad depth

Wolves - No major incomings, let go of Traore

Leicester - no one in

So we are not alone, at least
  • edited January 2022
    I’m not so worried about this.year, but the players that will leave in the summer due to our lack of ambition.
  • Sky saying the lights are out at Wolves and there done ,anyone know if the lights are out at West Ham =)
  • I'm not bothered about other teams and who they buy. We really need a striker and another centre back. We might get by without the centre back but if Antonio gets injured for any amount of time, then I think finishing in the European places or doing anything in the cups will be a pipe dream.
  • alderz said:

Wake me up before you go go, what a song.

That's not another Green Day one, is it?
    They wish!
  • Like everyone I'd like reinforcements. If we don't sign anyone then I don't want to hear Moyes or the board moaning about unlucky injuries effecting the team.
  • We should wait till 11pm I know, but I can’t help starting to doubt Moyes and Newman. If you believe the press (😂) we have bid for Phillips and Raphina (who would improve our squad), but we don’t need them as urgently as a striker or CB. If, and it’s a big if IMO, they have wasted time on these two who could wait till the summer, questions will be asked.

I'll take a wild guess that conversations for both those Leeds players took less than a minute of the transfer window up
  • I’ll take a less wild guess that they didn’t happen at all.
  • steve said:

There was me wanting a new shirt with a weird name on it ,guess that is not going to happen =)

So what exactly is preventing you from buying a shirt with "A Weird Name" printed on it. I'm genuinely curious.

• Quite funny that Man Utd don't want to sell to us as we're a top 4 rival.
  • For me, I cant be having that half glass full feeling as I have supported us for way too long and its ingrained.

I personally fear that the last 18 months was the pinnacle of our success and probably as good as it gets for another chunk of many years!

I said it weeks ago, prior to the window, that this was our chance to pick up a couple of quality signings or at least decent backups to try and consolidate where we were or even push higher. These chances for West Ham rarely come along I am a mix of irritated and actually just more irritated.

We had since last summer, since even before Newman officially came on board (nothing to stop him looking etc with or without a club) to get the player ducks in order and make sure that we got targets even if they weren't our first choices.

I fail to comprehend why we werent in touch with the Darwins of this world before January and why we cant even pick up Benteke in 5 minutes! I wanted Origi and I dont think that hope and ambition was much at all!!!
  • What Baz said.
  • Do people really think Newman has created an extensive recruitment & scouting network in 3 months?
  • In other transfer news, Sullivan apologizes for no transfer activity as he was auditioning for the revamped Steptoe & Son sitcom...

• It’s not as if he was new to the job. Surely when he joined he’d have a list of players that he’d scouted previously who he thought would be a good fit for us. If he didn’t or Moyes didn’t like any of them I question the wisdom of appointing him in the first place.
  • No but it wouldn't matter if he had, the players Moyes wants, we don't seem to be able to afford.
  • Head of recruitment? Can’t help thinking Newman has played a blinder joins in October 21 and won’t need to worry about any signings till july / august 2022. Might not do much even then .
    Apart from getting a new tea lady and somebody to fix the fax machine he could put his feet up
    What a lovely job to get !
  • Lukerz said:

Do people really think Newman has created an extensive recruitment & scouting network in 3 months?

Doubting he had nobody in mind (even from Man City days) prior to his first day or surely we could've employed just anyone for the job. That said, I have zero idea of his track record for finding players.
  • Lukerz said:

Do people really think Newman has created an extensive recruitment & scouting network in 3 months?

Wasn’t it his network and experience that got him the job?
  • Lukerz said:

Wasn’t it his network and experience that got him the job?
    Did he come straight from Man City? Like wouldn't he have a network already built up?
  • Yeah a network suited for Man City
  • So trying to be calm and rational

The clubs we are competing with are...

United - haven't bought anyone

Spurs - Bentacur & Kulusevski in, but let go of Ndombele, Gil, Lo celso and Ali

Arsenal - no one in, but they've let go of some of their squad depth

Wolves - No major incomings, let go of Traore

Leicester - no one in

So we are not alone, at least

Except bar Spurs they all have 2 strikers available to play.

• I can't see how Dele Alli, joined Everton from Tottenham, is worth up to £40m. Prices are always inflated in January.
  • That's the Levy Conundrum.
  • Lukerz said:

Yeah a network suited for Man City

I obviously don't know much about this bit surely it's more than just a network built for city. He'll have contacts and names already in place would he not? Of all the positions I'd have imagined City would have been on the lookout for it would be a promising striker.
  • Like that Alvarez 'new Aguero' guy they signed? Probably been scouting him for a while as most clubs tend to
  • edited January 2022
    I know one thing, ITK's know nothing hahaha
This discussion has been closed.