Transfer Deadline Day: Skype to be set to 'busy'

Comments

• Lingard is going to Newcastle or nowhere, doesn't matter what Ralf says they aren't going to let him go to West Ham.
  • Lingard is going to Newcastle or nowhere, doesn't matter what Ralf says they aren't going to let him go to West Ham.

Depends how hard Lingard pushes, I guess. If he makes the board know it's West Ham or no-one, then they may decide to take our money over nothing at all.

I just feel like we've come too far with this Lingard deal for it not to happen.

And admittedly that's hope more than expectation.
  • If Newcastle stay up arguably they are more of a threat to Man U for top 4 in the long run. They may just want Newcastle to go down to put the inevitable off for a bit longer.
  • I don't think the Man U Board care about Lingard, Ralf might but the board I doubt very much. Why would Man U risk improving a top 4 rival in West Ham for a couple million.
  • With the squad we currently have we will be lucky to finish above mid table with no additions. Antonio is struggling so we have no really fit inform striker for the rest of the season. He has not played well for a while now. The midfield players will be worked too hard and as for our defence as soon as we get any injuries it falls apart.
    With so long to plan for new players and with supposedly a new investor on board.
    How does this board keep getting away with so little real investment in the team?
  • The problem will also be not only who we haven’t signed, but who we will lose because of this lack of ambition. Rice, Bowen, Soucek, even Zouma may go. We will go back to being a yo-yo team, or worse (no offence to our Yo-Yo👍).
  • The problem will also be not only who we haven’t signed, but who we will lose because of this lack of ambition. Rice, Bowen, Soucek, even Zouma may go. We will go back to being a yo-yo team, or worse (no offence to our Yo-Yo👍).

but the Daves are selling so not their problem, money money money is all that is important
  • If we dont recruit for the defence and CF Lingard can come to us because we will be a mid table team

but the Daves are selling so not their problem, money money money is all that is important
    I do think Moyes and Newman are also culpable.
  • we have some time left so lets hope for the best
  • At this point I think it’s pretty clear we aren’t signing anybody.
  • I don’t understand why people think we’ll finish mid table at best with this squad, given we finished 5th last year and are 5th this year with this squad. I’m annoyed at lack of business, but I am not at that level of doom and gloom (yet).
  • None of our competitors have improved, either, unless I’m forgetting something.
  • I just heard from an ITK that the plan is to sign no one but to suddenly allow Kral to now play so that fans think we just signed someone new.
  • edited January 2022
    I guess the worry is the European games. Unless we get knocked out straight away then it won't matter so much about the depth of squad.
  • alderz said:

I don’t understand why people think we’ll finish mid table at best with this squad, given we finished 5th last year and are 5th this year with this squad. I’m annoyed at lack of business, but I am not at that level of doom and gloom (yet).

Recent form, I suspect.

We finished 6th last season, largely due to the impact Lingard had (13 goal involvements in half a season is some going). The first half of this season we had our first choice defence fit and Antonio in top form. Going into this window, we had lost a first choice CB for the season, seen the LB position exposed and had seen a our (only) striker suffer a horrible dip in form.

Yes, all's not lost, but we have done literally nothing to help the players that have got us to fifth place. Antonio himself has been asking for competition. All being well, we'll have EL and FA Cup runs and top six to compete for, but I think a lot of us don't feel that the squad, as it is, can do that successfully.
  • Alderz - my simple logic is that we are an injury or 2 away from having a much weakened team. I am still hopeful that we will see DCC, Nunez and Lingard but cant keep my fingers crossed for much longer.
  • If we sign no-one we still have our best team in years West Ham never do things easy . I think we will still do well . Will i be disappointed yes but you would have thought we were in a relegation battle with some of the negativity. Alot of teams have really struggled to sign players maybe because of the impact on finances of COVID I don't know its certainly been a strange window only Newcastle and Villa have signed alot of players ,Liverpool signed 1 big player but everyone else have been fairly quiet. Why have we signed no-one ? who knows only the people involved, everything is speculation fueled by clickbait stories . I think Moyes only wanting to sign players who improve the first team might be making it difficult to improve on.
  • Spuds sign two let two go
  • alderz said:

I don’t understand why people think we’ll finish mid table at best with this squad, given we finished 5th last year and are 5th this year with this squad. I’m annoyed at lack of business, but I am not at that level of doom and gloom (yet).

Recent results for one thing. We may be 5th, but we've played more games than those immediately below us. Yes, even 7th would (historically) would be a decent season for us, although even that's not guaranteed, but it's the fact that it seems like this is going to be another wasted opportunity. If we were actively looking to recruit at the start of the window, when we were in a fairer (in terms of games played) 4th position, we'd have been a much more attractive proposition for someone considering joining us; now we're realistically 7th or even 8th when games in hand are taken into account.

It's the huge drop off in quality that we have beyond our starting 11 that is what annoys people imo. No adequate cover at all for Antonio or Cresswell since the summer (Masuaku is not a Premier League LB, and Johnson is very limited there as he's out of position) and we lost Ogbonna in November for the season. We missed Cresswell badly when he was out, and having to play Diop and Dawson together while Zouma was injured definitely cost us points; if a CB was brought in at the start of the window we could easily be 4 points better off.

As for Antonio, we've been lucky his hamstrings have held up so far, given his injury record, but he's been seriously overplayed, especially given he's playing international football as well this season. He's been left on the pitch when he's out on his feet, purely because there's no alternative. Look at the number of sub appearances Yarmalenko has made, even though most are only 5 minute ones, and it says all we need to know about our lack of forward options.

There's also the bigger picture aspect. We were 4th, and maybe as attractive as we've ever been after last season, and yet we bring in no-one. How does that help us hold on to our better players come the summer? As things stand we need 5 or 6 players between this window and the summer, if we show no ambition and lose Rice and Bowen for example, we need to bring in and intergrate 7 or 8 players in one window; we all know that's not going to help maintain the progression we've been on.
  • You just know when we sign no one, Antonio's hammys are going to go and we end up with Yarmo up front for the rest of the season.
  • Less than six hours to go.

Tick tock, Sullivan, tick tock.
  • Well SSN were reporting about 20 minutes ago that it’s unlikely we will sign anybody.
  • What a waste of money Newman was.
  • To be fair Newman only came in mid way through the season. So you would expect Summer for that magic to work. Either way we keep kicking the can down the road until its too late.
  • Yeah, I'm calling it now. Close the thread. We're done.

Honestly thought, despite everything I feel towards our owners and against my better judgement, that they would bring in a CB and striker given our obvious issues. I'll check back in later in the evening in the blind hope that we'll do something, but the way it's looking, I think it'll only make me cross.
  • edited January 2022
    Omg how have we not signed anyone lol. I remember on the 1st January thinking "I wonder if anyone will come in today or the next few days as surely they've got people lined up"
    Turns out greedy DS and dithering Dave are a transfer deadline day match made in hell.
  • Why would Newman have to wait till summer. How long does it take a man with football knowledge to line up some targets?
    It is utterly ridiculous for a premier league team to go for so long with one striker .
    As somebody else mentioned it shows no ambition and maybe Sullivan and gold want Rice to leave so they can get more money before they then sell the club.
    They have owned this club for ages now and done very well for themselves but they have never shown any real ambition to move the team forwards . They sold the Boleyn for what reason? Champions league? to me it was pointless for the club but good for the owners. They have never invested anywhere near enough to threaten the top four. They have just been a bit lucky recently.

• It is utterly ridiculous for a premier league team to go for so long with one striker .

Man City?
  • It's truely embarrassing that we haven't signed anyone

But I may play devil's advocate...unless we brought in a genuine world class elite striker AND CB I can't see us getting 4th, it's such a huge task and our squad is just not as good as Spurs or Uniteds, and I don't think signing someone like Origi/Caleta-Car would all of a sudden change that

The target is Europa, which hopefully includes 7th which we are very game for even with this squad

Yes teams have games on us but I'd rather have them in the bag then still to play them, and they can't ALL win max points as many have to play each other

7th is very doable imo even with this squad. The team have had a little break to rid of some fatigue and get rid of a few injuries

Still embarrassing we haven't got anyone and I'm fuming, but I still think that we can get 7th and Europa this season
This discussion has been closed.