Transfer Deadline Day: Skype to be set to 'busy'

So the January transfer window finally opens for West Ham, as we attempt to cram 31 days into just 11 hours.

Will we sign Lingard? Nunez? Caleta-Car? No-one?

Let's see what the day brings...

Comments

• Take it easy old chap, you’ve got a long day in front of you.😉
  • 🚨 done deal (not for us)
    Christian Eriksen 🤝 Brentford
  • We're signing no one :) go to bed then wake up again for work.
  • We aren't signing anyone are we
  • edited January 2022
    Nunez, the Uruguayan forward we reportedly bid £50m for, has rejected our advances, according to David Ornstein at The Athletic.

Meanwhile, another of our supposed targets, Hugo Ekitike, is subject to a bid from Newcastle.
  • Don't get out of bed......
  • Our first business of the day is to sell a CB; Frederik Alves joins Brondby on a permanent deal.

The Newcastle bid for Ekitike has now been accepted, according to SSN.

So as it stands, we're a player down and two of our reported forward targets aren't coming.

Not even 9am yet.
  • Newcastle's bid for Ekitike is between £20-£25m. We have at least £50m to spend if you believe the Raphinha/Phillips/Nunez bids. Do we try to gazump them? And use the rest to secure Caleta-Car?

Solves our ST and CB issues with money to spare.
  • nah that would undermined the we tried but could not get them over the line defence for not spending, maybe I am just cynical after all we have had all month.
  • I feel you pathman, but I'm trying to stay positive (for now, at least). Maybe all the noise around Raphinha/Phillips/Nunez has been a smokescreen to secure someone under the radar.

Maybe, just maybe, Moyes and the board know what they're doing.
  • They left it too late, not that it mattered, since they all have been rejected in one form or another. 50m bids 2 days before the window closes for big players never going to happen.

Too many positions to look at going into the summer now. Even with persuading current players to stay on, on top of all that.
  • I’m going back to bed. Wake me up before the Kidderminster game.
  • They left it too late, not that it mattered, since they all have been rejected in one form or another. 50m bids 2 days before the window closes for big players never going to happen.

This is my frustration. I'm all for us targeting players like Nunez - young, dynamic with a high ceiling - but you find out whether they're interested way before deadline day. That's the kind of conversation that I'd expect Newman to have been having between windows.

My positivity is already beginning to wobble...
  • It seems too easy, but Caleta-Car and Origi would cost less than £30m for the pair. Plenty of international and European experience between them. And it would leave money in the pot for Lingard.

It would mean an Ogbonna replacement, competition for Antonio and Yarmolenko never having to make his obligatory two-minute appearance from the bench again.
  • I’m going back to bed. Wake me up before the Kidderminster game.

Is that a Green Day song?
  • edited January 2022
    On the BBC Deadline Day Live thread, there are these comments from Arsenal fans which feel like you could CTRL+H Arsenal for West Ham.

Rezaa Sait: For the first time in years Arsenal are in the fight for a top 4 finish. Failure to sign a quality midfielder and striker will cost them, again.

James: Whoever is pulling the strings at Arsenal doesn’t understand the importance of making the top 4 in the Premier League. January has been a calamitous month. From not winning a single football match to letting players go, the last 31 days have ruined the club’s season.

• alderz said:

I’m going back to bed. Wake me up before the Kidderminster game.

Is that a Green Day song?
    Green Day were cracking.
  • Change the thread title to Newcastle day. Or better still, Monday
  • Wake me up before you go go, what a song.
  • Wake me up before you go go, what a song.

That's not another Green Day one, is it?
  • Nunez alledged to turn down offer . Reckon we will sign DCC and 1 surprise signing.

Odds on signing (made up off the top of my head)
    No signings 50 %
    1 Signing 60 %
    2 Signings 25 %
    3 Signings 5%
    4 Signings 3%
    5 Signings what have you been drinking and can I have some :-)
  • alderz said:

Wake me up before you go go, what a song.

That's not another Green Day one, is it?
    No it's WHam but not the Green St. version. ;)
  • 90mins.com, the outlet that first mentioned the Nunez interest, are now reporting that the player is keen on the move and talks with Benfica are ongoing. The medical, should it get that far, will be undertaken in Uruguay by the same people that are doing Bentancur's medical ahead of his move to Spurs.

This has the potential to run all day (and probably will).

Elsewhere, The Mirror are reporting we're trying again for Lingard on loan (hardly new news).
  • Ex update:

I asked for an update on Jesse Lingard so we can finally put this to bed and as of this morning I was told that Manchester United do not want to sell/loan to us still. This will probably be even more the case following the recent Greenwood allegations. Depending on who you believe the club are adamant Jesse Lingard has made it clear he doesn’t want to join us at this point and wants to be a free in the summer, where as Jesse’s brother and other agents seem to imply that no discussions have taken place. This comes down to who you believe….

Another target Hugo Ekitike of Reims looks set to join Newcastle unless we make a last minute attempt to change this although we probably can’t compete with the personal terms on offer so this is very unlikely now. A story should emerge soon of another French forward that we turned down as well.

The club are working on a number of deals at the moment but for the time being as of 10:18 and things change very rapidly on transfer deadline day, nothing is close!

See you all on the Wordle thread
  • edited January 2022
    I had a green day a couple of weeks ago, at my age it’s not really advisable.😎🤯
  • Well I'm feeling a little blue☹
  • Nothing is close. Lol
  • That’s quality work from Burnley.
  • Hamstew said:

Nothing is close. Lol

Preston is, to tears
This discussion has been closed.