Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• Who do you suggest Claret?
  • edited January 2023
    This from Alderz:
    the game plan is just not good enough.
  • It’s no good keep saying we want someone who can do this or do that but nobody has come up with any realistic suggestions as to who that can be. We are not going to entice a manager who is currently in a job so it has to be someone who is out of work and that someone is out of work for a reason.
  • Baz, is that Moyes or Klopp? Or both? ;)
  • Klopp = Always in (He's the best manager ever-ish) haha
  • Baz has coined a new word "ever-ish" =)
  • See, if Moyes went to the crow at the end of the game and fist pumped the crowd I'd like him. That said, we have to actually win a game for that to happen :(

If Klopp does get the sack I will simply like the team hes next in charge of
  • Unfortunately... He has to go.
  • It’s no good keep saying we want someone who can do this or do that but nobody has come up with any realistic suggestions as to who that can be. We are not going to entice a manager who is currently in a job so it has to be someone who is out of work and that someone is out of work for a reason.

But us giving suggestions also is no good as that has no bearing on the decision making process.
  • I know it doesn’t which is probably why the board haven’t done anything about it. They can’t come up with a suitable replacement at this point.
  • In all honesty I don't he's going to go regardless.
  • So if I’ve got this this right, a big majority want the manager gone now but have no idea who to replace him with?
    Have I got it right?
  • I know what you're saying but it's up to the owners etc to find a replacement not the fans. But tbh it's so bad atm what would it matter if he went and someone took temporary charge from within the club. I think we're doomed with him anyway.
  • As alderz said but here are a few out of work managers & remember "We are Massive" - Poch, Tuchel or Gallardo.

Seriously don't want us to be relegated as there is no guarantee we will attract a manager like Kompany who has brought in players from the Belgian League who he knew from his time at Anderlecht & who are ripping up the Championship. The financial disaster it would bring is not worth contemplating. Lets hope it's all sorted out quickly & we start winning matches to ensure we survive.
  • This is now the default thread for talking about Moyes and the West Ham Manager situation.

I've closed the other Moyes thread and also deleted all Moyes comments from the general Sack Race thread.
  • Slacker said:

So if I’ve got this this right, a big majority want the manager gone now but have no idea who to replace him with?
    Have I got it right?

I could give you some names of people I’d prefer to be in charge. But I don’t think the board would go for them. So it’s pointless me saying that I think we should go after them when there’s not a snowballs chance in hell that we will.

But if you want a list of people - Vincent Kompany would be top of my list. I also really like Carlos Corberan from West Brom. If it needs to be someone out of work, then I’d look at Marcelo Bielsa. I don’t think Thomas Tuchel or Mauricio Pochetino are realistic, but obviously I’d be very happy with either.
  • Slacker said:

So if I’ve got this this right, a big majority want the manager gone now but have no idea who to replace him with?
    Have I got it right?

I would expect any serious top flight club to be monitoring young coaches across the globe for succession planning, if nothing else. If Brentford can find Thomas Frank, if Swansea can find Graham Potter, if Brighton can find Roberto De Zerbi, then a club the size of West Ham should be able to find a suitable replacement for a manager that has managed 1 point from the last 21 available.

As I see it, the main problem is that most, if not all, of the managers hired by our owners have been out of work. If there's a manager doing well at a club, then compensation comes into play and I don't think Sullivan will do that.

And it wouldn't surprise me if his reputation in the game will put off the better and more ambitious up-and-comers that other clubs seem to be able to find.
  • edited January 2023
    Last time we splashed the cash on transfers... Pellegrini. How did that work out.
  • I'm not sure how that's relevant to the Moyes situation, Mrs G 🤔
  • I think the point she’s making is he got us into the same mess we are in now after spending a fortune.
  • edited January 2023
    Spending a fortune isn't the problem. Other clubs spend a fortune but spend it wisely. Other clubs spent aot less but still get the majority right.

Both Pellegrini and Moyes spent money on players that didn't seem to suit the club or the league; that says more about our recruitment infrastructure and how the club goes about its business more than anything else.
  • Much as I like what he did for us, I think he either needs to dramatically change is tactics, or go before it is too late
  • OCS, There is so much that has been said about our recruitment strategy or lack of it. David Moyes not being able to find a suitable striker after releasing a top quality one because he didn't suit his style of play & then proceeds to not be able to get a tune out of his replacement as he used to having a partner along side him (Raspadori). Still needing a LB as he doesn't trust the one he signed. Signing a German International and then trying to play him out of position. Stubbornly playing his favourites when there are others in form (Benrahma). I'll give him that he hasn't had the opportunity to play his best team yet but I think he believes it doesn't include many of the new signings.
  • edited January 2023

Spending a fortune isn't the problem. Other clubs spend a fortune but spend it wisely. Other clubs spent aot less but still get the majority right.

I don't really have a point, in the sense of a position to be pushing.

But we are a less wealthy club in the league.

It seems to me fans ask for big spending and when they don't get it, complain about lack of ambition or penny pinching or profit gouging or whatever.

If we spend big ( as we've done twice now) and don't see immediate success, we look for someone to blame.

If we sack the manager, we will find ourselves in a manager less, purse-depleted, big squad/not gelled, not suiting new manager situation...

Bigger clubs with bigger budgets can spend incrementally. If a couple of new players don't work out in the squad or the league they can be moved on without too much upheaval.

To refer back to your original comment...other clubs spend a lot but wisely - but not all. Which do? Which haven't? Which have a fortune to spend and if it all goes pear shaped, it's not a big deal for them. They can rip it up and start again. Not us, for sure.

You say other clubs spend a lot less but get the majority right. I'd like to see some actual facts to back this up.

It just seems that there's a lot of comparing apples and pears, and generalisations based on no evidence..all as a stick to beat west ham with.

Of course, feel what you feel. But is it rooted in anything other than emotion?
  • Spending a fortune isn't the problem. Other clubs spend a fortune but spend it wisely. Other clubs spent aot less but still get the majority right.

You can’t compare the likes of Chelsea, Man City or Newcastle with West Ham.
    They spend what we spent every year.
    If a player they buy for £100 m ( Lakaku) and it doesn’t work out it doesn’t matter because they can go and buy someone else next window and write off the loss.
    I really don’t remember you complaining about the quality and quantity of the players brought in last summer, quite the opposite in fact.

• Could a different manager better utilise the players in our squad the likes of Scamacca & Paqueta? A simple Yes or No.
  • Could a different manager better utilise the players in our squad the likes of Scamacca & Paqueta? A simple Yes or No.

If you think we'll sack Moyes and get a new manager and he won't want any new players cos he can get a tune out of this lot... Tell me the name of that manager.

How can there possibly be a simple yes or no answer to that question?

• MrsGrey said:

You say other clubs spend a lot less but get the majority right. I'd like to see some actual facts to back this up.

According to Transfermarkt, Brighton spent €52m in the summer, and are 7th. Brentford spent the same, and are 8th. Fulham spent €62m, and are 6th.

Their respective league positions suggest that their transfers have largely been successful. Our spend (€182m) and league position are a stark contrast.

Granted, we're only half way through the season and things could change, but it looks at the moment like their business has been considerably better than ours.

But our transfer spend is nothing to do with the point I was making. I have no doubt that there are managers out there that would improve our position, but those performing well at clubs will cost money. There are some out-of-work managers that I think would turn our form around, but they probably have higher aspirations (e.g. Tuchel and Poch), so if we want a progressive, in-form manager that may see West Ham as step up (e.g. Frank, Kompany, Slot) then we'd need to buy them out of their current contract, but I don't think our board will do that.