The "I know its only February and Mrs Grey is going to scream "Noooooo" but..." transfer thread

Comments

• Lukerz, Surely there must be better strikers around the world we could break the bank to sign?
  • DCL when Everton get relegated?
  • Osimhen!
    My perfect summer window:
    Lingard, Osimhen, Phillips, Areola, Tagliafico, Kilman
  • Osimhen!

Osimhen will cost a lot of money. As would Kilman (I do like Kilman a lot though).

I would love either of Toney or DCL
  • If we had Toney and Lingard in our squad from the start of the Jan window I believe we'd be a major top 4 contender (rather than a sinking one looking up and wondering out of Man Utd, Spurs and Arsenal will get it). Should this be in the moaning thread? :)
  • Bazshuayi, If we had Lingard and any decent striker we would be in a stronger position than we currently are, that is not saying it isn't ok atm.
  • alderz said:

Osimhen!

Osimhen will cost a lot of money. As would Kilman (I do like Kilman a lot though).

I would love either of Toney or DCL
    Oh yeah, I’m not saying it’s likely 🤣 just that would be my perfect window.
  • Sure there will be some fights for Lingard, can deffo see us, Newcastle and Villa after him

He'd be a huge signing and a good upgrade over Yarmolenko

Also think we'll be a frontrunner for Sam Johnstone, who I think can do what Areola has done and is MUCH cheaper (wages and fee)

Still linked a lot to Philips, unsure if it's genuine but would be a good replacement for Rice (should he leave) albeit an expensive one
  • 'Still linked a lot to Philips, unsure if it's genuine but would be a good replacement for Rice (should he leave) albeit an expensive one'

Would be great alongside Rice.
  • I think bringing Phillips in would be a good way to encourage Rice to stay.
  • Other teams will fancy Phillips, he won't be short of options
  • I think Phillips would only come if Rice stays.

This Window will be massive and we should have money to spend having kept our powder dry in the summer. As with last summer the biggest bit of business will be keeping Rice. I felt him a certainty to go but should the Chelsea situation not get resolved he may decide to give us one more season.

I think he wants assured trophies or at least be competing at the very top for them, and for me that is City, Liverpool or Chelsea, I don't think United come into that category. It's so tricky as United need him most, but are least attractive at present, will Poch change that? City are safest bet for him but appear to need him least, will they treat him as a luxury purchase as the did Grielish last summer? Liverpool have never really shown an interest and may be less likely to splash that kind of money. Which leaves Chelsea, who have the big advantage of him being a fan and having friends there, and under Abromovich there was no issue around money, but will a new ownership be in place in time? If so will they immediately want to splash in excess of £100m plus addons?

One more season please Dec!

• Origi has agreed to join AC Milan in the summer, according to Nico Schira.

A couple of PL clubs were rumoured to be interested (not sure if we were one of them), but he's chosen to go to Italy.

Really thought he would be a good signing for us, particularly on a free.
  • Apparently the Mail is reporting that we’ve put a £150m price tag on Rice, which sounds about right to me - high enough that people are unlikely to pay it, but if someone did it would be a enough to enable us to rebuild stronger.
  • alderz said:

Apparently the Mail is reporting that we’ve put a £150m price tag on Rice, which sounds about right to me - high enough that people are unlikely to pay it, but if someone did it would be a enough to enable us to rebuild stronger.

Or for Sulli to trouser the cash
  • edited March 2022
    Since the owners have been here we’ve spent more than we’ve brought in every seasons, bar 2017-18. Since the 2009-10 season we’ve spent a net £307m, and in the last 5 seasons we’ve spent a net £183m. In 3 of the last 4 seasons we’ve spent more than £50m net.

I know people don’t like the owners, but tbh I can’t see that the accusation of us not spending really washes anymore. I feel very confident in saying that any money we get for Rice will be invested in the team.
  • alderz said:

Since the owners have been here we’ve spent more than we’ve brought in every seasons, bar 2017-18. Since the 2009-10 season we’ve spent a net £307m, and in the last 5 seasons we’ve spent a net £183m. In 3 of the last 4 seasons we’ve spent more than £50m net.

I know people don’t like the owners, but tbh I can’t see that the accusation of us not spending really washes anymore. I feel very confident in saying that any money we get for Rice will be invested in the team.

Don't forget that they'll be able to sell us penalty free during next season, so I can certainly see a huge windfall for Rice not being added to what should already be in the transfer kitty and being fully spent; effectively pocket a good chunk of the cash and then get out for their hundreds of millions profit each.
  • Cashing in doesn’t work either. They’ve only ever cashed in on Payet & Arnie & both times for massively under what we all felt we should have received.
  • From Sky

"The Premier League will not allow its clubs to sign players on short-term contracts from teams in Ukraine and Russia.

The decision by the governing body of England's top flight is understood to be due to sporting integrity, although the majority of the 20 sides in the division would be unable to register new signings anyway due to a lack of space in their squads.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine last month resulted in both domestic leagues being suspended.

As a result, FIFA and UEFA made the joint decision earlier in March to allow the suspension of contracts between players and clubs affiliated to the Ukrainian Association of Football and the Football Union of Russia.

It meant players from teams in Ukraine and Russia could join other sides in Europe on short-term deals until June 30 despite being outside of the transfer window period which shut at the end of January.

Clubs in the top tiers of Austria, Germany and Italy are also expected to be blocked from signing players from Ukrainian and Russian teams.

But La Liga clubs are set to be able to sign players based in the two countries on short-term deals, with the Spanish top-flight not having a limit on squad lists like is the case in England."
  • Yeold, Strange that the Football League aren't following the same process as Sheffield United have signed a Croatian player from Rubin Kazan until the end of this season as his contract has been suspended there.
  • So the big clubs with the big squads don't want to enable clubs with smaller squads to offer the Russian or Ukrainian based players an option of employment.

I don't really have an issue with it, but that's my reading of it.
  • What about massive clubs with small squads, just saying :open_mouth:
  • I like the look of Eredivisie's top scorer. Oh, never mind! :p
  • MIA, There are rumours that Liverpool like the look of him.
  • MIA, There are rumours that Liverpool like the look of him.

Man, he would struggle so much at Liverpool. He’s a good finisher, but he can’t press, and Klopp wants a lot of pressing.
  • West Ham will land long-term target Nikola Milenkovic, 24, with reports that the Fiorentina and Serbia defender has made a 'gentleman's agreement' with the Hammers. (TeamTalk)
  • yoyo said:

West Ham will land long-term target Nikola Milenkovic, 24, with reports that the Fiorentina and Serbia defender has made a 'gentleman's agreement' with the Hammers. (TeamTalk)

Would be a great signing but we've been here before with this guy and it ended in nothing even when it looked like it was in the bag

Not gonna get too excited about a "gentleman agreement" from a TalkSport source

Him and Zouma would be an unbelievable pairing....OK maybe I'm a little excited
  • Burnley tried to sign Moses, waits for the gags on a biblical theme, but the Premier League wouldn’t sanction it.
  • Looks like he left it too late to part the sea for his arrival.
This discussion has been closed.