Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• IronHerb said:

What does it matter?

Is this aimed at me? If so it's because I want to know.
  • WHU, Apologies but can you explain this to me - Hes great we can activate the clause (like Soucek) but if he's not he will leave as Anderson comes back and we haven't just wasted £30mil. The deal is an obligation to buy so won't we be spending the money next year?

This was before I knew it was an obligation but an option
  • WHU, I wasn't trying to find fault it was just a case of trying to get my head around what was actually happening. Haven't seen anything about there being the need for further medical checks either in The Guardian report I read?
  • The guardian reckons the deal is not totally obligatory but based on further medical tests?

And that's why it changed from a buy to a loan.
  • So the owners, still get the player we wanted, they avoid buying him out right as there is an issue on the medical, but if that's all fine then we get him later on a permanent and yet some how they are getting grief for this?

Seems to me, that this is literally the best possible scenario for getting a player who may or may not have a medical issue.
  • Soucek
    Coufal
    Dawson
    Benrahma

What do we reckon? Out of 10?
  • Can he be in the squad for sunday
  • Mooj

To be fair, earlier in the day Moyes himself said there was no issue with the medical. However now it seems there probably is some sort of thing that requires further investigation/clarification? After our previous transfer episodes of the past you can’t then blame fans for fearing the worst.
  • Answered my own question ,No he wont
  • Mooj

To be fair, earlier in the day Moyes himself said there was no issue with the medical. However now it seems there probably is some sort of thing that requires further investigation/clarification? After our previous transfer episodes of the past you can’t then blame fans for fearing the worst.

I thought Moyes said he hadn't failed his medical. It was reported there was an issue with his blood which requires the further investigation.
  • I’m sure that is the case Herb

If the deal becomes perm (in the future) subject to the satisfactory conclusion to that particular issue, then that is the best outcome which could be achieved for West Ham I guess
  • Lukerz said:

Soucek
    Coufal
    Dawson
    Benrahma

Not sure Soucek should be on that list as we signed him in January.

The window is a 4/10 for me. We didn't address the problem at left back, we've left ourselves very short in the middle of the park and haven't strengthened in the one area that the manager wanted more quality.

Our first eleven is good, better, arguably, with Benrahma coming in, but an injury to Masuaku or Rice/Soucek and we're struggling, IMO.

Plus the whole Diangana business has left a very sour taste.
  • Dont like the way business has been conducted but for results I would give it 7.5/10
  • Lukerz said:

Soucek
    Coufal
    Dawson
    Benrahma

Soucek was last seasons signing. Coufal looks good, Dawson is a reserve, and Benrahma has comparable stats to a guy we have sold for two thirds of what we’ve paid for him.

Overall, I’m very underwhelmed. I’m happy with all of them, but the entire window has been a farce, and the way we’ve conducted our business has been a bitter disappointment, for me.
  • Lukerz said:

Soucek
    Coufal
    Dawson
    Benrahma

6 out of 10 for me

Coufal addresses a problem of weakness and looks a very smart acquisition, improving the first XI.......

Jury is out on how Benrahma does in the Prem, but imo as of right now he is the superior winger to Diangana on paper)....so I can just about accept them swapping (even if it isn't my personal preference)

If you exclude Diangana, I'm happy with all of the players that left......

I can see why people don't accept Soucek as a new signing, but having an option to buy is different to obligation, so someone could've swooped in for him (Like Spurs did to Southampton with Aldeweirald)

But also think that it is huge that we kept Rice, especially when the rumours suggested he would've left....he is the cog and star for this team, and sometimes you can be judged in who you keep not who you buy

Would I have liked a new LB and better CB than Dawson? 100% but that's just football, if you were going to get every target and improve every position....then you'd be Man City

• edited October 2020
    It may be that they will use the obligation to buy as a reason to have to cash in on Rice next summer. If we had difficulty finding Haller's payments this window i am not sure deferring 21m to next summers window is a good idea regard budgeting. Especially for a winger that we apparently had too many of anyhow.

This is not about Benrahma whom I think will entertain and be a good player, it's more about the budgeting and strategy of our board. I am not imagining Moyes doesn't want him as it's clear to see he has any amount of potential but we just know this window didn't begin with Moyes asking for a winger, yet out big signing is a winger.
  • 8/10 on incomings

Looking forward to Masuaku and Bennyrami dazzling down the left
  • I worry about squad depth still
  • We have kept Rice and cleared out a lot of deadwood on wages, don’t forget that, plus the signings 8.5
  • It is a much better squad than I thought we would end up with.
  • Soucek 9/10
    Coufal 8/10 (one game only)
    Dawson 5/10 (untll he plays)
    Benrhama 5/10 (until he plays)
    No LB/LWB 0/10
    No CM or Striker 0/10

27/60 so about 5/10 possibly going to 37/60 and about 6/10 if Coufal and Benrhama match Soucek.
    Yeah, probably 6/10
  • Maybe Benrahma had a Payetesque type of fallout with Brentford and didn't want to play for them anymore. That leaves the Club in a very difficult position and Brentford may have thought it best to shift him. As there were no other takers for the same transfer fee, albeit loan now pay in full later, the Club cashed in the best it could.
  • 7/10 for me.
  • 6/10. A lot of deadwood gone, but also a couple of (potentially) good players. Incomings of a generally high standard, although not necessarily in the right positions. Our transfer strategy leaves a lot to be desired
  • Lukerz said:

Soucek
    Coufal
    Dawson
    Benrahma

6 out of 10 for me

Coufal addresses a problem of weakness and looks a very smart acquisition, improving the first XI.......

Jury is out on how Benrahma does in the Prem, but imo as of right now he is the superior winger to Diangana on paper)....so I can just about accept them swapping (even if it isn't my personal preference)

If you exclude Diangana, I'm happy with all of the players that left......

I can see why people don't accept Soucek as a new signing, but having an option to buy is different to obligation, so someone could've swooped in for him (Like Spurs did to Southampton with Aldeweirald)

But also think that it is huge that we kept Rice, especially when the rumours suggested he would've left....he is the cog and star for this team, and sometimes you can be judged in who you keep not who you buy

Would I have liked a new LB and better CB than Dawson? 100% but that's just football, if you were going to get every target and improve every position....then you'd be Man City

Actually I'd change my mind to 7/10 because I think we've managed to trim the wage bill down by a substantial amount which I think in the current climate is essential with the uncertainty around getting any matchplay revenue this year
  • Everyone keeps saying we haven’t signed a priority LB or LWB but I can’t recall Moyes ever saying that was a priority to him. He mentioned defensive positions but never specifically those positions so as far as he’s concerned maybe it’s been a successful window.
    If it was left to us to make the decisions and signings we’d end up with about 25 players for each position judging by some of the preferences expressed on here.
  • The reality is, Coufal, Fredericks, Cresswell, Masuaku, Johnson as full-back options in a squad is going to be more than enough. That does not scream ‘reinforcements desperately required’. What it does need is upgrading, but we are not short there in terms of numbers & experience.
  • 4/10 window

No LB
    No CB
    Sale of Diangana was disgusting

Didn't fix the deficiencies in the squad. Didn't back Moyes for his CB pick.
  • edited October 2020
    Perhaps, as it's reported, Tarkowski didn't want to come or Moyes didn't think he was worth £50m.
  • Perhaps slightly off topic, but I was reading one of Herb’s posts this morning and my iPhone slipped out of my hand and onto the garage floor.

It is completely dead.

Not happy.
This discussion has been closed.