Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• Who cares?
  • But least we don’t have to wait up, so win win our board couldn’t run a bath
  • In the spirit of COVID...... GSB transfer strategy -
    Wash your hands (of it)!
    Blame everyone else!
    Save money!
  • IronHerb said:

There are two sides to a negotiation. Perhaps Brenford said sale or nothing. And if you were trying to sell me a car that was then to spring an oil leak I think I would come back and renegotiate.

So if this were true, in the football scenario you would either walk away entirely, or loan with option but no obligation to buy (to mitigate risk). Or of course seek a price reduction.

From what is being reported, none of these are the case.
  • So apparently we have lodged the paperwork so can extend the deadline till 7pm
  • This from Brentford fc website.
    West Ham edging towards deal for Said Benrahma on loan with obligation to buy .
    The Athletic17:12
  • Clubs lodged deal sheet by 3pm to get extension to complete Benrahma deal by 7pm. Medical issue couldn’t be sorted in time for permanent deal so working on loan (£4m fee) with obligation to buy (£21m + £5m) on 5y contract @TheAthleticUK #WHUFC #BrentfordFC

From David Ornstein of the Ahtletic
  • So when this deal is completed will it be a signing in 2020 or announced as our “marque” signing in the window next summer similar to GSB counting Soucek as one in the last window & not as it was in January?
  • Buy now with 15% deposit and pay in 12 months (will be in Caymans by that time)
  • IronHerb said:

There are two sides to a negotiation. Perhaps Brenford said sale or nothing. And if you were trying to sell me a car that was then to spring an oil leak I think I would come back and renegotiate.

So if this were true, in the football scenario you would either walk away entirely, or loan with option but no obligation to buy (to mitigate risk). Or of course seek a price reduction.

From what is being reported, none of these are the case.
    But wasn't it a buy that turned into a loan?
  • Clubs lodged deal sheet by 3pm to get extension to complete Benrahma deal by 7pm. Medical issue couldn’t be sorted in time for permanent deal so working on loan (£4m fee) with obligation to buy (£21m + £5m) on 5y contract @TheAthleticUK #WHUFC #BrentfordFC

I can’t see much difference between this loan+ obligation to buy, and a permanent deal with instalments. Does anyone here know?
  • Herb

There is still a full obligation to buy surely? So there is no reduction in risk and they still have to pay? In full?

That’s how I read it.

I can’t see much difference between this loan+ obligation to buy, and a permanent deal with instalments. Does anyone here know?
    Would imagine it means you don't have to find 25m when you didn't even have 5m at the start of the window!
  • If its a loan ,Does that mean he cant play for us in the FA cup if we draw Brentford .In that case they really got one over us =) =) =)
  • Herb

There is still a full obligation to buy surely? So there is no reduction in risk and they still have to pay? In full?

That’s how I read it.

Yes agree but we are paying £4m now and the rest at a later date when it was reported we were paying £25m up front. A better deal surely.
  • IH, a Sully special deal! He’ll be delighted.
  • From a purely financial viewpoint, don't think it makes a difference

Think we will have a shorter long term cost and a bigger commitment next year and so on, but that is how we structure our deals normally so I really don't think it matters

And it actually makes sense as we are cash poor (whether you want to believe it or not) so the larger fees can be paid next summer when hopefully the COVID issue is less impact full

What can't be ignored that it appears to be sure incompetence and unprofessionalism that had led to this, which could make it a lot harder for us to do deals un the future

• And in the real world where it affects us all, it sounds like BoZo has taken advice from Sully regarding the Brexit negotiations.
  • Am I right in thinking that a loser in all of this is the player himself? As he will need to stay on his Brentford wage during the loan period?
  • Imagine the 25m will be found from the eventual sale of Rice
  • edited October 2020

Am I right in thinking that a loser in all of this is the player himself? As he will need to stay on his Brentford wage during the loan period?

Good point.
  • If it’s an obligation to buy surely we’re obliged to pay his contract he’d have signed for us
  • edited October 2020
    If it just a case of clearing up the medical, and the paperwork, why can’t the loan be converted to a purchase in the January window?
    As was said earlier, this discussion (ŵhich I’m contributing to!) is just a distraction from our key issue - our transfer strategy is very poor.
  • This has all been done deliberately by Sully.

Go for £30m, then renegotiate a loan, obligation to buy, now he is renegotiating to remove the obligation.

He was never gonna pay the money to start with this summer & has probably faked the medical uncertainty. Now he is trying to blag a loan for a £30m player.
  • Lukerz said:

This has all been done deliberately by Sully.

Go for £30m, then renegotiate a loan, obligation to buy, now he is renegotiating to remove the obligation.

He was never gonna pay the money to start with this summer & has probably faked the medical uncertainty. Now he is trying to blag a loan for a £30m player.

And it'll probably be spun that it's been done to cover Anderson's loan.

Hell of a risky game though; selling Diangana, publicly stating that money would be invested in the team according to the manager's wishes, and then spending just £5m on a right back.

As it stands they've brought in nearly £30m by my calculations, and if Benrahma is a straight loan, they'll have made a £20-25m profit from a window in which we had to bring some balance and improvements to a squad that finished 16th last season.
  • So you think Spire Healthcare would falsify a medical?
  • I would think that if it’s a loan then should whatever the medical issue is surface during the period then we can send him back.
  • Benrahma, right back and centre back cover with minimal outlay, you must admit it's shrewd wheeling and dealing. I just want to see the photo of Benrahma posing in an Irons shirt then we can get behind the team and move on
  • Wish those 3 would move on
  • I would think that if it’s a loan then should whatever the medical issue is surface during the period then we can send him back.

Depends what the “obligation” is. I’d imagine that’s the sticking point with 20 minutes to go.
This discussion has been closed.