Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• Cuz, no worries. I believe imho Haller is a better player than we have had the opportunity to see due to us not playing to his strengths but regrettably he isn’t the first to be managed like that. The common theme in this situation is Mr Moyes.

What about the players Moyes has improved? What about what he did with Arnie and what he’s getting out of Antonio? What about the fact Cresswell actually now looks like he knows what defending is?
  • I don’t believe moyes should have that said about him on either of the two players mentioned, he probably got arnie working harder by threatening to drop him if his work rate didn’t improve, Antonio for me was always capable of that but injuries put pay to that
  • edited October 2020
    If we had a left back that was solid (similar to Coufal), we could play a system of 442 or 4132 that would allow Haller to play alongside another forward.

Another reason for signing a LB/ LWB
  • I think the only way to play a 2 up front and not be exposed in the middle is to drop the wingers, use the wing-backs for width and play Fornals in CM or number 10, with Bowen dropped.
    Or you keep everything else the same but play Antonio as one of the three but in a free role, with Bowen in but Fornals.

I think any version of 4 at the back and 2 at the front can only be played against certain formations and is too easily exposed, unless it's really aggressively getting the ball quickly to the front so the midfield battle isn't so important.
  • Cuz1 said:

I don’t believe moyes should have that said about him on either of the two players mentioned, he probably got arnie working harder by threatening to drop him if his work rate didn’t improve, Antonio for me was always capable of that but injuries put pay to that

So we should criticise Moyes for players that he doesn’t get the best out of, but not praise him for players he does?
  • Not once have I said that I just didn’t agree, I think he’s brought well ie Bowen and Thomas but to praise for those two imo isn’t right in yours it is and I’m ok with your opinion
  • And I said in previous again just my opinion but we only stayed up on both occasions because of the dross that went down he certainly hasn’t improved Anderson Yarmo diop to name but a few
  • edited October 2020
    I am not saying David Moyes doesn’t deserve some credit but he couldn’t find a line up
    to use Hernandez successfully at two different clubs & he struck gold when having to play Antonio up the middle as Haller wasn’t available but now he is he isn’t playing him. Harry did that with Raducioiu years ago so as I said earlier he isn’t the only one to do it. Maybe it’s the “West Ham” way. 😉
  • edited October 2020
    I'll tell you all what I am sick and tired of, and that is all you armchair football managers second guessing Moyes.
    Listen to yourselves - who we should have bought, all your team lineups, who should play where, who should be dropped blah, blah, blah, and of course all followed by "imo".
    If you all knew so much you'd actually be doing it. >:)

• There isn’t one signing he’s made or player he’s picked who I don’t want to do well but picking players and not playing a formation to suit is criminal, I hope he’s a success still but I’m afraid it won’t, and as for me not being able to manage I obviously would be found out as well but would have a nice contract and salary to go with it and football is all about opinions or so I thought
  • edited October 2020
    And there was me thinking that football was all about kicking the ball into the onion bag! =)
  • If we are winning, getting the most out of Antonio leading the line...then I don't really care hes not playing to Hallers game

Why risk trying to get the best out of Haller when you are already getting the best out of Antonio

You only change it up when you have the points cushion to do so
  • So why buy more attacking players when yours are performing well
  • And there was me thinking that football was all about kicking the ball into the onion bag! =)

😂😂
  • I'll tell you all what I am sick and tired of, and that is all you armchair football managers second guessing Moyes.
    Listen to yourselves - who we should have bought, all your team lineups, who should play where, who should be dropped blah, blah, blah, and of course all followed by "imo".

True.
    Still need a LB/ LWB though
    😎
  • I'll tell you all what I am sick and tired of, and that is all you armchair football managers second guessing Moyes.

What will we discuss then?

What will we discuss then?
    The Office?
  • edited October 2020
    IronHerb said:

Fredericks could cover as a WB on either side. Has the pace and with less defensive duties could cover either. He's due to be available for the weekend.

I can't find any record of Fredericks ever playing on the left, as far as I can see he's only ever played on the right

No record of Coufal playing on the left either.
  • But there was no record of Rice being a DM until he played there? He was a CB.
  • Surely you can see though that playing someone out of position is not ideal? Not everyone can step up and play in a different position. Matt Taylor was never a right back. Ian Pearce was never a striker. Both were not good enough in their new positions.

Fredericks could well be reasonable cover on the left, but he also absolutely might not be. Which seems to be a risk to me.
  • Bubbles, I do actually coach a team which has won two titles so blah blah blah I am doing it. =)
  • edited October 2020
    IronHerb said:

But there was no record of Rice being a DM until he played there? He was a CB.

While Rice was mostly a CB when he played for the Kids he had played DM and made his Premier League debut as a DM aged 18.

Fredericks is 28 and has never played anywhere other than RB/RWB/RM, I think if he'd shown any ability to play on the left he would have played there before now.
  • Maybe he always played in a team that had enough capable LBs?

I don't think he'd be capable of playing on the other side though. I think he's pretty much good at running in a straight line and haven't seen enough of his ability to carry the ball, pass/cross to think he'd be able to play on his weaker side.
  • Fredericks has played on the left:

Despite his appearances at right-back, he played both as a left winger and a right winger for the Robins, but after just 26 days at the club and five appearances, he decided to return to London for personal reasons, joining Fulham on August 31.

Even without that 'experience' its not so much different being on the left than the right! No idea why some fans think its so taboo
  • both fullback positions have been woeful for a long a time. Moving one to either side of the flank shouldn't even have to be considered. We should have purchased a new LB this window. Any fan could have told you this before the window even opened.
  • both fullback positions have been woeful for a long a time. Moving one to either side of the flank shouldn't even have to be considered. We should have purchased a new LB this window. Any fan could have told you this before the window even opened.

Yes. It would be great to have 4 left backs in the first team squad.
  • edited October 2020

Fredericks has played on the left:

Despite his appearances at right-back, he played both as a left winger and a right winger for the Robins, but after just 26 days at the club and five appearances, he decided to return to London for personal reasons, joining Fulham on August 31.

Even without that 'experience' its not so much different being on the left than the right! No idea why some fans think its so taboo

He started his first game for Bristol City as RM but was switched after half an hour when the LM got injured and he was substituted before the end. Bristol City lost 2-0.

He seems to have started RB/RM for the other four games. Maybe he can only cross with his right

The club can equally loan / sell / pay up contracts and have done so in this window to sort that matter out.

I also believe if we are prepared to let young players go for dirt cheap Hugill / Ajeti / Diangana i see no problem in literally letting Cresswell or Masuaku walk away for free to get in someone better.

The club can equally loan / sell / pay up contracts and have done so in this window to sort that matter out.

I also believe if we are prepared to let young players go for dirt cheap Hugill / Ajeti / Diangana i see no problem in literally letting Cresswell or Masuaku walk away for free to get in someone better.
    We might as well let everyone go bar Antonio and Rice and sign improvements!
  • That's usually how football teams work that want to go places and climb the table. You sign players to improve the team.
This discussion has been closed.