Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• You are seriously asking that question??
  • You are seriously asking that question??

Yes

You only recently said you want someone young and hungry, then scoff when we are close to signing a highly rated 20 year old centre back
  • Well I would ask you what has our owners’ track record been for this type of left field low cost purchases?

Xande, carduso, Montenegro??

How many of these type have got anywhere near our first team?

This isn’t forfana we are talking about
  • Maybe a mis-quote, but did Moyes not recently say that centrebacks reach their peak in their late 20s?
  • This centre half quest is quite confusing in that Milenkovic (22), Maksimovic (28), Forfana (19) & Caleta-Car (24). All reported to be players we made concerted efforts to buy so are we going for experience or young and hungry?

I am with Baracks on this very few of the prospects we have signed have ended up becoming regulars in the first team. This window has been disappointing based on what other clubs have achieved, it makes you wonder whether there is something actually going on in the background as it all reflects extremely badly on the board.
  • Fortune

“Very few”?

I would go further and suggest it is actually NONE. Can you think of a single one in the sully era? I could be wrong but I’m struggling to think of any!
  • It requires a scouting infrastructure we don't have. We're kind of shooting in the dark when we make these signings, I think. Often they're rated or coming from good clubs but I'm guessing what's been missing is the right analysis of whether they have the right attributes to step up - there might be players who don't shine so much at the same age who are more likely to make it, for example.
  • Which is what a DoF should have provided, not just being the managers mate.
  • What happened with how the club was run was much worse than what Pellegrini did with the team on the field.
  • Yeah, Cardoso was bought and it was said he'd join first team

Fortune

“Very few”?

I would go further and suggest it is actually NONE. Can you think of a single one in the sully era? I could be wrong but I’m struggling to think of any!

Did Sullivan sign Reid? £4m I think he was, and not many had heard of him prior to the 2010 World Cup. Probably the last successful 'cheap punt' we had.
  • OCS

I thought of reid. But he was 22 when he joined us and when straight into the first team squad when he arrived (in and out of the side during the first season with us). Is the guy we are linked with going to be match day squad material from day one. Hopefully so (if he joins) but the past history doesn’t bode well
  • baracks, I was covering my bases I struggle to think of any myself in a very long time. Gone are the days when a scout can find you an Alan Taylor to score 2 goals in the Quarter, Semi & Final of an FA Cup winning run.
  • Noise on Twitter that Benrahma is BACK ON
  • Not overly enfused by the benrahma deal one bit to be honest
  • OCS

I thought of reid. But he was 22 when he joined us and when straight into the first team squad when he arrived (in and out of the side during the first season with us). Is the guy we are linked with going to be match day squad material from day one. Hopefully so (if he joins) but the past history doesn’t bode well

Who knows mate. Has a Cardoso feel about it, though. This is what Husillos said about him when he signed:

“He is of course a player for the future, with a lot of potential in front of him, but we feel he is ready to be with the first team squad from both a physical and technical point of view."

So I was expecting him to feature for the first team to some extent, but that potential seems to have never materialised.

I know nothing of this other lad, but even if he is highly rated with a lot of potential, it isn't the top class centre back that Moyes wants. Now if we were to sign him and Tarkowski/Milenkovic/Caleta-Car in January, then no-one would have any complaints.
  • Cuz1 said:

Not overly enfused by the benrahma deal one bit to be honest

Benrahma would be a decent signing, IMO, but only in the context of our window so far. If when the window had started you’d told me we would have sold Diangana and loaned out Anderson to bring him in I’d have been disappointed.
  • edited October 2020
    I can't wait for us to splash £30m on a player for the sole reason of annoying the hell out of Zaha FC fans. I'm all over that.
  • edited October 2020
    I’ve been thinking a fair bit about the Preston c/b who we were loosely linked with. Ben Davies, English, 25 yo can also operate at l/b. What would his price be? £10-£15m maybe?? To be honest I’ve never heard of him.

However, thing is with an English c/b of that age, even if operating in the second tier - if he joined a club like us, and played a reasonable amount, he would have to do remarkably badly for his value not to soar, just by virtue of the fact he is English, of a good age, and in the Prem. And would therefore possibly then be a shrewd bit of business. Assuming of course Moyes sees something in him
  • If that's the case baracks how come Dawson is such a bad choice? You don't seem to be concerned if he plays well or not as you would forgive Davies.
  • Because as a club, we are also pleading poverty and the owner has his violin out. £50k for a trip to Everton?

This is an investment with the future in mind even if we were to sell and have the funds to reinvest further down the line.

So there is no comparison to the Dawson situation - except that he was most recently part of a terrible defence that got relegated and Davies has never had a shot at the prem
  • And you talk about scattergun.
  • Really?

I would call it a strategy. Clearly you don’t think having the potential to make a return further down the line is a good thing

Luckily you are nowhere near to looking after my finances
  • alderz said:

Cuz1 said:

Not overly enfused by the benrahma deal one bit to be honest

Benrahma would be a decent signing, IMO, but only in the context of our window so far. If when the window had started you’d told me we would have sold Diangana and loaned out Anderson to bring him in I’d have been disappointed.
    On the other hand, if all this other stuff hadn’t happened and we’d sold Anderson or Lanzini, I’d have thought this was a great buy, personally. We’d have had two of the best wingers from the Championship this season. It’s the context of the window as a whole which makes it hard for me to get excited about the signing.
  • edited October 2020
    I really think LWB is such a priority. A back 5 is the formation we do well at under Moyes. We have cover at RWB and now have 4 x CB plus Cresswell/Rice.
    Masuaku gets injured and it is a 442 or square pegs in round holes to keep 5 at the back (unless Johnson can be a LWB which is yet to be tried).
    I can foresee a situation where Fornals is asked to play LWB which is a gamble, and Cresswell which is also a gamble.

Let's get a LWB/LB please
  • I’ve been thinking a fair bit about the Preston c/b who we were loosely linked with. Ben Davies, English, 25 yo can also operate at l/b. What would his price be? £10-£15m maybe?? To be honest I’ve never heard of him.

However, thing is with an English c/b of that age, even if operating in the second tier - if he joined a club like us, and played a reasonable amount, he would have to do remarkably badly for his value not to soar, just by virtue of the fact he is English, of a good age, and in the Prem. And would therefore possibly then be a shrewd bit of business. Assuming of course Moyes sees something in him

Moyes saw something in hugill and look where that ended up 😂😂
  • and for me the Dawson deal although not one I wanted, but as a loan and hopefully not play much i get that, in an ideal world a proper CH or one of our main targets would mean competition for the starting back five as imo Dawson is not really an improvement on what we already have and should only be used to cover injuries/ suspension
  • I really think LWB is such a priority. A back 5 is the formation we do well at under Moyes. We have cover at RWB and now have 4 x CB plus Cresswell/Rice.
    Masuaku gets injured and it is a 442 or square pegs in round holes to keep 5 at the back (unless Johnson can be a LWB which is yet to be tried).
    I can foresee a situation where Fornals is asked to play LWB which is a gamble, and Cresswell which is also a gamble.

Let's get a LWB/LB please

Agreed Exeter, but I don't think it'll happen unfortunately. I think we've found something that seems to work really well for us and it would be a mistake to not get cover for Masuaku, IMO. Like you say, Cresswell, Fornals and Johnson would be square pegs.
  • Is it "smoke and mirrors" and we secretly have someone up our sleeves to cover LWB? I doubt it!
  • yoyo said:

Is it "smoke and mirrors" and we secretly have someone up our sleeves to cover LWB? I doubt it!

Isn’t that why we re-hired Psycho?
  • Or maybe Manning (and other championship left backs) isn't that good

Think the fact not a single team has tried to go in for Manning (or Rico Henry) is quite telling, maybe they just aren't that good

You can't just buy every mid twenty player who is 'ok' then you'd have a championship team, and no guarantee that these players will increase their value

For every Maddison, Bowen, Eze etc there is a Sessegnon, Mawson, Hugill, Che Adams etc. Who have all lost value
This discussion has been closed.