January Transfer Window

The transfer window is now open.

Current rumours (as far as I can tell):

Ins: Niklas Sule (Bayern), Matthias Ginter (Monchengladbach), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Jonathan David (Lille), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal)

Outs: Arthur Masuaku, Andriy Yarmolenko, Ryan Fredericks, Darren Randolph

Comments

• El Ghazi (Aston Villa) being linked in a Football Insider Exclusive this morning.
  • Decent enough player, and a potential Yarmolenko replacement on the wing.

Obviously not a priority, but I wouldn't be unhappy with that move.
  • Everton have confirmed the signing of defender Vitaliy Mykolenko from Dynamo Kiev for an undisclosed fee

Newcastle have submitted a formal bid to sign Atletico Madrid right back Kieran Trippier.

(both Sky Sports)
  • Let's play Transfer Window Bingo.

'It's been my dream to play for [insert name here]'

'Why weren't West Ham in for him?'

'When my agent told me [insert club name here] were interested, it was a *no-brainer '
    ( *other idiomatic expressions are available)

'Antonio's hamstrings'

• edited January 2022
    “I liked what the manager said, and wanted to be part of the club’s project”

“He can step right in and do a job for us”

“Spurs aren’t going anywhere - I wanted to join a big club like [insert other club] or West Ham” 🤞
  • "The little boy inside of me screamed (insert club)"
  • I'm well aware of the history of the club
  • (club name) is a big club and I want to help them win trophies / they deserve to win trophies
  • MrsG, Is there a limit on the amount of times I can post “Why weren’t West Ham in for him” ? 😁
  • You'd ignore it anyway 😉
  • Nathan Ake in the starting XI for the second game in a row. Don't see City letting him go this month
  • Nathan Ake in the starting XI for the second game in a row. Don't see City letting him go this month

No chance we get him
  • edited January 2022

Everton have confirmed the signing of defender Vitaliy Mykolenko from Dynamo Kiev for an undisclosed fee

I mentioned this deal yesterday. Negotiations complete between windows and a requirement addressed as soon as the new window opens. It's the type of thing I'd like to see us do more often.
  • I mentioned this deal yesterday. Negotiations complete between windows and a requirement addressed as soon as the new window opens. It's the type of thing I'd like to see us do more often.

The difference is we are 5th while Everton are 15th, their need to improve the squad is a lot more obvious than ours
  • I mentioned this deal yesterday. Negotiations complete between windows and a requirement addressed as soon as the new window opens. It's the type of thing I'd like to see us do more often.

The difference is we are 5th while Everton are 15th, their need to improve the squad is a lot more obvious than ours
    Everton also only spent £2mil on Gray in the summer (plus a few freebies)
  • edited January 2022
    Personally I think position is largely irrelevant. Everton need to improve to avoid getting dragged into the relegation battle. We (arguably) need to improve to finish in the EL places.

The need to improve shouldn't have to be determined by league position alone; ambition should also come into it.
  • ASLEF, It’s been obvious we have needed a CF for about a year now! 👍
  • We need a CB, now

Need to say this after every game as again Diop has costed us a goal just by errors

We've scored almost 2 goals a game, CB is a MUCH bigger priority for me
  • Question - Do we sell Diop if anyone comes in with a realistic offer as there are rumours of a few clubs showing interest in him or as Florian said on the match thread do we get a replacement in & to allow us to drop him so he can try to regain his mojo?
  • Question - Do we sell Diop if anyone comes in with a realistic offer as there are rumours of a few clubs showing interest in him or as Florian said on the match thread do we get a replacement in & to allow us to drop him so he can try to regain his mojo?

Sell in the summer.

He's in his fourth PL season but hasn't really pushed on. No real improvement in his performances from his first season and is currently 4th choice CB.

He's 25 next week so while he arguably has his best years ahead of him, he's not exactly a kid breaking into the first team, and I've seen no evidence that he has enough to become a reliable and consistent PL defender.

We need a CB in January to replace Ogbonna in the squad and Diop in the first team for the rest of this season, and I can't see Moyes signing more than one so I'd keep Diop until the summer, sell him then and use the time in between to identify a replacement.
  • I wonder if switching Dawson & Diop over would help him a bit more? I just feel as a LCB he really struggles. If he was to play to the left of Coufal & then Dawson next to him, I wonder if he would look better. I think this would only work with Cresswell at LB though, not Johnson or Masuaku.
  • Honestly, I think if Diop goes to the right he will play better, but Dawson would play worse.
  • Diop has concentration and judgement issues that aren’t improving and it’s probably time to sell him. Playing next to Dawson he is even worse. They never seem to know where each other is. I’d like to see him play with Zouma but otherwise I think in the summer it might be time to move him on.
  • Zouma/Oggy plus 1 "other" would make the 1 other look so much better. It's just rotten luck that we're playing with 2 others. They were never meant to be an ideal pairing and it shows.Dawson appears to be handling it better than Diop.
  • Looks like the beginning of the end for Lukaku at Chelsea…
  • Lukerz said:

Looks like the beginning of the end for Lukaku at Chelsea…

A cheeky loan bid from Moyes?
  • yoyo said:

Dawson appears to be handling it better than Diop.

Maybe, but it probably helps that he's playing his preferred side and Diop has to play LCB. I'm sure they've tried it the other way round in training, maybe Dawson is even worse at LCB than Diop? Or the sum of the two of them is worse, at any rate (which I'm sure it must be otherwise they would have swapped positions).
  • edited January 2022
    I remember a game last season (think Burnley away) where Diop really struggled (with Dawson) on the left with Wood. They then swapped over & we were much better.
  • Wrt Diop, I've really been hoping that he'd come good, especially as he's still relatively young for a CB, but his weaknesses have been exposed time and again recently and I reluctantly feel we need to try and move him on while we can still get something for him (either now or preferably in the summer). He just doesn't seem to have improved at all, and that's after 2 years coaching from Moyes.
  • Play Alese next to Dawson. He's young,yes, but if he plays LCB as his normal position and has Dawson in his ear, it might work.
This discussion has been closed.