January Transfer Window

Comments

• I’m more confident in our attacking midfielders than central defence or centre forward.

Buy neither, and use any money to strengthen other areas.

Traore isn’t reliable enough, and Lingard IMO has had his chance. We’ve filled those positions even if the jury’s out on whether they will prove to be good enough. Lingard has hardly played this season, and to expect him to come straight in may be too much to hope for.
  • As of February, we may be looking at:

Fabianski
    Johnson - Dawson - Zouma - Cresswell
    Rice - Soucek
    Bowen - Lanzini - Benrahma
    Antonio

Lukerz, WHAT no new players, IF that is the case I will be the opposite of Slacker @ 7.48!

That’s virtually the team that’s got us to 5th in the table!

• I must admit the jury's kinda out for me on Lingard. He had a huge purple patch with us last season, and the chances of him replicating anything like that are, imo, fairly slim. Added to that is the fact that we're more MASSIVE than we've ever been, so we're getting fewer chances to counter in quite the way that suited Lingard so well.

I'm not averse to him coming in, but it would have to be a sensible deal and I'm not sure it will happen; he must know he's unlikely to reproduce that amazing spell, and even that wasn't good enough to get him an England call up so I think a World Cup place is almost certainly beyond him now. I think game time to try to get into the squad would be the only reason he'd move now rather than the summer, and, if that ship has sailed (which, imo, it has) I can't see him moving for any deal we'd offer.
  • Slacker. 👍 but we do still need 3 additions LB, CH & CF unless we get a left sided defender who can play FB & CB.
  • edited January 2022
    True Fortune but apart from Dawson who would you drop?
  • Slacker, I prefer Coufal @ RB. DM doesn’t want stopgap signings so a younger LB & CH are going to be needed sooner than later plus Antonio needs genuine competition for his place. The papers, for what it’s worth, are reporting that is what we are looking to do this window.
  • Seeing that Cresswell is out for three months with a chipped bone in his spine that currently causes him severe pain, we obviously need a left back, in addition to a CB and a forward. I wonder if we have resources to buy three good players to cover these positions, or will we go for loans/freebies instead?
  • edited January 2022

Lingard has hardly played this season, and to expect him to come straight in may be too much to hope for.

Lingard has played more football this season than he did last season before he joined us on loan

2021/22 12 apps 267 mins 2 goals, 1 assist
    2020/21 3 apps 179 mins (inc. 80 mins FA Cup 3rd round v Watford 9 Jan)

Last season he played 90 minutes 5 days after he joined us and scored twice

Cresswell is out for three months with a chipped bone in his spine

Has this been confirmed by the club?

Moyes told the pre-Palace press conference that "Cressy is still a slower injury than we hoped it would be but certainly getting much closer to fitness" but I've not read anything since
  • I heard on TV that Cresswell had chipped a bone on his spine but I haven't heard any recovery timescale
  • edited January 2022
    Lingard would have come by now if he was really interested. He can now agree pre-contract deals with clubs abroad. Or he can wait until May & then see what offers flood in. It’s a risk, as he’ll be nearly 30 by then & will have had a year off playing football, but it seems that’s what he wants to do. It’s an odd one, as he regularly hints at West Ham interest via his social media but I just don’t see it happening. We also signed Vlasic for £25m so we’ve gone & replaced him. The time to come was last summer but I think the ship has sailed now.
  • I don't think Lingard will worry too much about turning 30 in December 2022, he's stuck on the bench while some bloke getting regular starts at Old Trafford is seven years older!

Regardless I don't see where Lingard fits into the team when we have Bowen, Benrahma, Lanzini, Fornals and Vlasic plus Yarmolenko until the summer if he doesn't this month.
  • I think Lanzini’s form will see us not go in for Lingard. I think had he not hit the form he has, Moyes would see that area as more important.
  • I still think Moyes is interested. I think he'd play him ahead of Lanzini, Benrahma and Fornals if he signed. Bowen is probably the only AM that is guaranteed a start ahead of him.

Will be interesting to see what Moyes does in Benrahma's absence. Presumably it'll Fornals playing LW (Covid permitting), maybe alternating with Lanzini during a game. The only other options are Yarmolenko, who may well be on his way out this month, or Oko-Flex, who hasn't had a single minute of PL football. Masuaku is another I guess, but he may be needed at left back, so arguably there's a gap that needs filling.

If Lingard is open to the move, I reckon Moyes will still push for it.
  • Vlasic as well. Big chance for him.
  • edited January 2022
    I see there’s a story by a unknown man on Twitter & being covered by caughtoffside that Declan has agreed a 5 year deal with Man Utd in the summer & the deal will cost £115m.
    https://todofichajes.com/el-united-pone-115me-para-hacerse-con-declan-rice/
  • Vlasic as well. Big chance for him.

Forgot about Vlasic.

And yes, this is an important month for him.

Still think Moyes would take Lingard though.
  • I see that Odubeko has had his loan to Huddersfield terminated.

Not great for his chances here that he couldn't break into a Championship team.

Back to the U23s and a move to League One in the summer, I expect.
  • edited January 2022
    I find that Rice story a strange one as always felt Chelsea wold be his first choice and United would be a strange choice for someone wanting guaranteed Champions League football next season and a chance of winning trophies. To me that means City, Liverpool and Chelsea, in that order.
  • And how would a random Spanish website get the exclusive before any of the usual UK outlets?

I guess if it's true, then yeah, Man U ahead of City, Chelsea or Liverpool would be a strange decision, but if the others aren't willing to meet our valuation then maybe his decision was Man U or West Ham. I know they're not the club they used to be, but they're still huge and have a massive appeal.

Let's face it, he's got more chance of trophies and Champions League football at Man U than he has at West Ham over the next five years.
  • edited January 2022
    The one place I would hate him to go to would be Man U. Just anywhere but there please.
  • Hamstew said:

The one place I would hate him to go to would be Man U. Just anywhere but there please.

Selhurst Park?
  • Hamstew said:

Millwall?
  • Anywhere realistic
  • I could see Man City going for him before but Rodri now seems to be becoming the player they wanted so maybe they won't go for Rice - not for what we'd require. Liverpool don't really spend that much and have Fabinho.

Chelsea is all that makes sense and actually, I'd rather he went to Man U. I hate Chelsea.
  • Not that I want him to, but I have always thought Man Utd would be his next club. They need him more than any other team, and they would build around him. Hope I am wrong.
  • edited January 2022
    Man Utd definitely need a player like him more than any of the rest. McTominay, Fred & Matic are their options in CM. He would transform their midfield but it’s not saying much & you can see all the Roy Keane references should he sign. City have Rodri, Chelsea have Jorginho, Kante & Kovacic & Liverpool have Fabinho & Thiago. A club paying the money we want for him would need to be desperate for a CM, which Man Utd are.
  • Maybe Man U will go for a cheaper alternative.
  • I personally don’t believe the story. I think he may go there but no way would he commit in January for a summer move when there may be other options. But I think of all the historically big English clubs who need a CM, they are the most likely option.
  • There's no doubt that their need is the greatest over the other 3 mentioned teams but anyone would surely want him.
  • I don't actually know what the story is but generally have always thought Man U was a potential option. He's the player that might fix their problem and take them back to the top.

Chelsea have players but there's lots of talk about Kante's injuries meaning he can no longer play a full season. Jorginho and Kovacic aren't the same.

I'm sure others would like him but not sure they can afford him with the players they already have.
This discussion has been closed.