January Transfer Window

Comments

• Play Alese next to Dawson. He's young,yes, but if he plays LCB as his normal position and has Dawson in his ear, it might work.

Yeah, I almost feel we're at the 'couldn't do any worse' stage. Maybe give Alese the Leeds game (one assumes given their league position they may go with a weaker cup team) and see how he gets on.
  • Apart from Dinamo Zagreb Alese hasn't played against opposition above League One, a big step up for him to play at Premier League level.
  • Apart from Dinamo Zagreb Alese hasn't played against opposition above League One, a big step up for him to play at Premier League level.

True, but it feels like Diop is costing us a goal a game. Maybe Alese could do better. That's all I'm saying.

Rice didn't have any senior experience before he broke into the first team, so although it's preferable it's not always necessary to take the step up.

Ideally we'd sign a PL-ready defender before the weekend and then give Alese five months on loan in the Championship, but the speed at which out transfer dealings happen I can't see that being an option.
  • Just seen that there’s a player in Uruguay that Newcastle are not “ interested “ in.
    He must be proper miffed.
  • [JPercyTelegraph] BREAKING: Tottenham and West Ham United are weighing up moves for Adama Traore An offer of around £20M would be enough for Wolves to sanction the sale
  • [JPercyTelegraph] BREAKING: Tottenham and West Ham United are weighing up moves for Adama Traore An offer of around £20M would be enough for Wolves to sanction the sale

Let's hope not, for us that is.
  • I don’t think Dawson has been good either to be honest. He makes dramatic blocks that look good and earn him credit but he’s also rash and sloppy with the ball. The Dennis goal was an example of Diop jumping and being exposed and then Dawson being rash while the Southampton penalty was Diop jumping in again and Dawson getting burned for pace. We’re seeing their weaknesses combine. He’s only really been good when next to Ogbonna I think.

If we can’t play Dawson confidently against anyone other than a strong LCB then we need to also think about his use as a backup CB.
  • just seen a post Liverpool in for Bowen £60m, really
  • Gossip says Traore his replacement? 20M for him and a net 40M on the deals
  • So Bowen would be Mo Salah's back up? He'd have a busy 5 weeks during the AFCON and get a run out in cup games but otherwise he'd spend a lot of time on the bench.

For a player who is rumoured to be close to an England call-up that's hardly a good move
  • edited January 2022

True, but it feels like Diop is costing us a goal a game. Maybe Alese could do better. That's all I'm saying.

Rice didn't have any senior experience before he broke into the first team, so although it's preferable it's not always necessary to take the step up.

Ideally we'd sign a PL-ready defender before the weekend and then give Alese five months on loan in the Championship, but the speed at which out transfer dealings happen I can't see that being an option.

Maybe Moyes thinks Diop costing us one goal a game is preferable to risking an inexperienced kid which could cost us two goals a game.

Rice didn't break into the first team overnight, he made his first PL start (Saints 18 Sep 2017 L 2-3) after two substitute appearances, started the next game (Newcastle L 0-3) and was subbed off at half time,

He spent most of the next six months on the bench (25 PL games, 6 starts, 7 sub apps), for a couple of games he wasn't even on the bench and was playing with the U23s.

He started against Saints 31 Mar 2018 and kept his place through to the end of the season (and beyond)

Moyes has been excellent in the transfer market, whatever he decides I'm happy with
  • Jonathan David (Lille)

Following West Ham’s victory at Vicarage Road, the club posted a video of goalscorer Said Benrahma celebrating with his mother who was sat in the away end with the Hammers fans

And West Ham fans were quick to spot that reported target David had liked the post alongside a host of the club’s stars.
  • No way we lose Bowen this month.
  • So Bowen would be Mo Salah's back up? He'd have a busy 5 weeks during the AFCON and get a run out in cup games but otherwise he'd spend a lot of time on the bench.

For a player who is rumoured to be close to an England call-up that's hardly a good move

The cynic in me would suggest moving to Liverpool would do wonders for his international career, irrespective of whether he gets much pitch time.
  • I believe Liverpool buying Jarrod will depend on whether they get Salah to sign a new contract. So if they buy him, it won't be to sit in Salahs shadow and just play odd minutes/cup etc. it'll be to eventually replace him (perhaps with another or others for competition)
  • Sorry to say it but as good as Bowen is, he's not in the same class as Salah.
    Now I'll go and find some carbolic mouthwash. =)
  • 60m + Phillips and Origi. Would be good business.
  • If you are Bowen and Liverpool come in for you that would seem a hard offer to refuse.
  • If you are Bowen and your father-in-law is Danny Dyer, are you really going to ruin next years Christmas to be a sub?
  • But Danny Dyer is used to ruined Christmases isn't he?
  • IronHerb said:

But Danny Dyer is used to ruined Christmases isn't he?

Or is that Mick Carter ......!!
  • alderz said:

If you are Bowen and your father-in-law is Danny Dyer, are you really going to ruin next years Christmas to be a sub?

Shows how much I follow social pages, I had to Google what you were on about.
  • edited January 2022
    If Moyes wants Traore I'm very ok with that. It's not so long ago that he was fantastic alongside Jimenez but struggled after Jimenez got that injury. He has the potential to be productive and maybe Moyes can make that happen more consistently. But it would have to be one where it's definitely Moyes who is targeting him.
  • There will be a lot of work necessary to get Traore effective.
    Traore has 7 goals and 14 assists in 157 appearances and as a, random, comparison
    Rice has 6 goals and 8 assists in 150 appearances from a far less attacking perspective.
  • I'd be quite excited about Traore, mainly because I trust Moyes and see the work he has done with most of our squad in terms of consistency.

But I can't help feeling we need all of a CB, LB and maybe a striker before another wide player.
  • Transfermarket has it as 10 goals and 18 assists in 150 appearances. Rice 8 and 9 in 169 appearances.

It will take work that makes a big difference, doesn't mean the difference can't be made quickly. Traore got a lot of those goals and assists in a period where Wolves had a very effective unit and a good focal point. It's definitely a risk and I wouldn't trust too many other managers to make it work but...
  • Depends how much he would cost ,5 mill might be worth a gamble
  • alderz said:

If you are Bowen and your father-in-law is Danny Dyer, are you really going to ruin next years Christmas to be a sub?

Shows how much I follow social pages, I had to Google what you were on about.
    Buffy, you're not alone.
  • Transfermarket has it as 10 goals and 18 assists in 150 appearances. Rice 8 and 9 in 169 appearances.

It will take work that makes a big difference, doesn't mean the difference can't be made quickly. Traore got a lot of those goals and assists in a period where Wolves had a very effective unit and a good focal point. It's definitely a risk and I wouldn't trust too many other managers to make it work but...

Mine was Premier League stats.
  • I've read that Dawson has been playing with an injury lately. From Ex, I think.

Makes the need for a new CB arguably even more urgent.
This discussion has been closed.