January Transfer Window 2019

So Nasri is in, and we've been linked with a few others, but in terms of outs, Adrian could well be one to leave. A hint in his latest Tweet, perhaps?

IMG_20190101_205723

Comments

• Freedom's just another word
    for nothing left to lose.

Kris Kristofferson.
  • Adrian's contract is up in June, so he is now allowed to speak to other clubs about moving in the summer. It's very possible that he'll want to do that, so that would be my guess.
  • James McCarthy from Everton on loan according to daily mail. Just recovered from a double leg break and not played all season so might be right up our street
  • Not a lot of business is done in this window... I can't see us doing very much if anything other than the Nasri signing.
  • I would say we need a CM. Sanchez is out for the season, Wilshere is unreliable, which leaves Noble and Obiang in the engine room. An injury or suspension to either of these and we're very short.

Drinkwater and Loftus-Cheek are on our radar, accoridng to Ex and I'd take either, TBH. McCarthy I'm not really sold on but as it's the Mail I'm not really considering him as an actual target.
  • I agree with Suz that we shouldn't expect anything to happen, but I also agree with OCS that we could do with a centre midfielder. One who can run would be nice. The dream signing, IMO, would be Loftus-Cheek on loan for the rest of the season.

GK Fab / Adrian
    DR Zab / Fredericks / Antonio
    DC Balbuena / Diop / Ogbonna / Reid (?)
    DL Cresswell / Arthur
    DM Rice / Obiang
    MC Loftus-Cheek / Noble / Wilshere
    RW Snodgrass / Antonio / Diangana
    AM Nasri / Perez / Lanzini (?)
    LW Anderson
    ST Arnie / Hernandez / Carroll

That should be plenty for the rest of the season
  • It's this that needs to be looked at first imo:
    DR Zab / Fredericks / Antonio.

• In a perfect world I would love for us to make moved for RLC and Clyne

Saw a good bit of RLC at Palace and he looked fantastic, he had exactly the rifgt balance between energy and technical ability to excel in Pellegrinis system

Also I'm a huge fan of Clyne, think he's a quality player and depsite seeing some football the past month i think hed be open to a move
  • edited January 2019
    alderz said:

I agree with Suz that we shouldn't expect anything to happen, but I also agree with OCS that we could do with a centre midfielder. One who can run would be nice. The dream signing, IMO, would be Loftus-Cheek on loan for the rest of the season.

GK Fab / Adrian
    DR Zab / Fredericks / Antonio
    DC Balbuena / Diop / Ogbonna / Reid (?)
    DL Cresswell / Arthur
    DM Rice / Obiang / Sanchez
    MC Loftus-Cheek / Noble / Wilshere
    RW Snodgrass / Antonio / Diangana / Yarmelenko
    AM Nasri / Perez / Lanzini (?)
    LW Anderson
    ST Arnie / Hernandez / Carroll

That should be plenty for the rest of the season

Pellegrini came out and said 5 of those are unlikely to play again this season.
  • If our intention is to make do and finish mid-table then we've probably got enough.

If we are serious about challenging for top 7, we need to strengthen in a few positions, IMO.

Clyne and RLC would be excellent signings, Champo ;ok
  • Yeold

You've crossed out 7 though? Balbuena and another will be back this season.

I agree that Clyne would be another really good signing for us.
  • Samuel Inkoom and Eidur Gudjohnsen would be lovely ( ;wahoo )
  • This is generally a poor window to sign players.

I agree that RLC would be a good signing, especially if it led to a permanent deal.

For the rest, I'd much sooner see us leave it until summer, and take a proper stock of what we need, and who is available/would fit in with the team.
  • There is a story on the BBC website (second top story) saying that Chelsea believe that Callum Hudson-Odoi can be one of the best in Europe. 18 years old, left winger, academy product. That article includes this:
    Sarri admitted it is difficult to balance winning with promoting young talent at Chelsea.

Asked if young players like Hudson-Odoi need to be more patient, the Italian said: "Also the fans sometimes, also the club sometimes, and so I am in the middle. I have to win.

"It's not easy at this level to take the young players from the academy and he's ready to play, not only here, everywhere in Europe."
    Meanwhile, Chelsea have signed Christian Pulisic from Dortmund. 20 years old, left winger, for £58m.

How is Hudson-Odoi menat to progress if that's the attitude? How can they say it's hard to find space for a youngster when they're happy to buy a 20 year old for more than £50m? They are talking the same about Loftus-Cheek being a great prospect, but they're after Isco too.

I know it's Chelsea so who really cares, but also it is a general trend that I find really frustrating in the modern day. All fans want to see academy products develop. We could have spent £30m on a defensive midfielder but we've trusted a teenager. It can work.
  • I would rather keep the powder dry in this window as unless things really took an unexpected turn we are not getting dragged into a relegation fight and nor are we breaking top 5-6, in which case we have enough to realise our potential of a top ten finish this season already.

We can then launch a more focussed transfer strategy in the summer when we can let a few go and hopefully kick on from a very progressive season by splashing a little again in the style of Anderson as we did last time.

As I would imagine is the case with most clubs however I would act if the right target became available. Loftus Cheek could fall into this category.

For me this Window is for those hoping fend of relegation and those hoping to give a push to realistic hopes of titles. The rest of us can wait for the next real window.

• edited January 2019
    Main position we need to sort this window is definitely a right back IMO, last night was a fine example that if we have to play Antonio there, its a waste of his service, while he will always try his best we all know thats not his natural position, only after he came on we had so much going through him attacking wise, its a no brainer he needs to play in his preferred position , while Zab has been outstanding this season, he needs proper back up with Fredericks out...
    A CM would also be nice , but RB is my position that I'd like us to sort out if possible.
  • We currently have three RBs on our books and there's little chance we're going to get any offers for Byram this month as he's still out injured. Unless we're going to let Zabaleta walk on a free in the summer then I suspect the most we're going to do about RB is a loan deal or another "Evra" until the end of the season.
  • Ex has stated that we're interested in Gary Medel, partly because he can play CM and RB, so would offer cover in both positions.
  • He can play at CB as well! He’s the John O’Shea of our time.
  • Adam said:

He can play at CB as well! He’s the John O’Shea Joey O'Brien of our time.

;ok

;wink
  • edited January 2019
    Medel isn't much of a RB, he's started there twice and been substituted both times. He's a DM who has also played at CB (half a season for Inter, half a season for Besiktas).
  • ;nonono thank you but ;nonono
  • Wouldn't mind Vic Moses as RB
  • Reading that Carroll has the same agent as Jonjo Shelvey and a swap (plus cash going in Newcastle's direction) has been mooted, but Newcastle want more than we're offering.

One to keep an eye on, maybe ;hmm
  • Players out of contract in the summer:

A.Ramsey
    D.Welbeck
    N.Monreal
    C.Fabregas
    D.Luiz
    O.Giroud
    G.Cahill
    L.Baines
    P.Jagielka
    D.Simpson
    J.Milner
    D.Sturridge
    A.Moreno
    V.Kompany
    A.Herrera
    P.Jones
    M.Darmian
    A.Valencia
    A.Young
    M.Dembele
    A.Carroll
  • I'd have Ramsey like a shot, but he's off to Europe.

Dembele, maybe (his age puts me off a bit - he is 31).

Nobody else, except maybe Giroud ;fence ;hmm
  • I'd take Milner if he's available, would also like Giroud

While those 2 are the only ones I'd actively pursue I think any of Cahill, Monreal, Dembele or Herrera could be interesting moves
  • Can’t stand Herrera.
This discussion has been closed.