Arsenal (H) Mickey Mouse Cup 7:30pm 1st November (live on Sky)

12346»

Comments

• I think it bothered a lot of people that they felt Arsenal wasn't a signifcant step up from us (as opposed to say Man City or Liverpool), so he had no right to move to Arsenal to "win things".

Each to their own I guess.
  • MrsGrey said:

There was a lot of clapping too

I just wonder if the booing was a bit tongue in cheek. Kind of jokey?

We'll never know, of course.

I didn't get the impression it was tongue in cheek. There are Rice haters out there.

Fortunately the vast majority applauded him when he came on, and I may say so, for some time as well as responding to him at the end where he did the farewell to the fans he couldn't previously do.
  • I think it bothered a lot of people that they felt Arsenal wasn't a signifcant step up from us (as opposed to say Man City or Liverpool), so he had no right to move to Arsenal to "win things".

Arsenal are a "significant step up from us"

They came close to winning the league last season, they've won the FA Cup four times in the last ten seasons and apart from 2021/22 they've been in Europe every season since 1996. He's got a far better chance of winning things with Arsenal than with us.

It was reported that he didn't want to leave London so his choices were Arsenal or Chelsea, I was glad he picked Arsenal

Arsenal are a "significant step up from us"
    I completely agree, but the vibe from a significant section over on KUMB was that last season was a "one hit wonder" for them, and that he shouldn't be leaving us for them as he would only win things in England with Man City or Liverpool.

• You had me at KUMB.
  • Well I am sure that the stats over practically any period of time during my entire lifetime would not back that up, for the record, I would have been clapping as he has my total respect,

I am also delighted that he ended up at Arsenal over Chelsea, or any other London club, except perhaps Hornchurch, I would have been all over that
  • Well I am sure that the stats over practically any period of time during my entire lifetime would not back that up, for the record, I would have been clapping as he has my total respect,

I am also delighted that he ended up at Arsenal over Chelsea, or any other London club, except perhaps Hornchurch, I would have been all over that

Not sure he'd get a game as the 'Urchins' are firing under new manager Steve Morrison, the ex Millwall striker. 😱
  • alderz said:

Lots of people said at the time of him leaving that if he had gone abroad, like your example of Henry, it would have felt better than him going moving to a local rival. Personally, I wouldn't boo him - I don't really see the point of booing - but I also don't understand why people care so much about it, tbh.

I guess for me it's a bit disrespectful. Fans expect full respect from players but then boo a player who was very respectful while he was at the club and did a lot for the team. This wasn't a guy who ever played like he wanted to leave, and I think pretty much everybody understood he should be playing at a higher level.

I wouldn't have cheered him but the booing felt silly and childish to me.
  • I had only seen the first half live, so just caught up with the 2nd half.
    At the end of the game, Rice was shaking hands/hugging the West Ham players as they filed past but with Bowen there was almost no interaction at all, I don't think they even glanced at each other.
    It seemed strange as apart from Soucek, Coufal and Fabianski they had probably played the longest together. Were there any rumours of a falling out?
  • Like I said, I don’t get the booing but accept fans can do as they please ( without crossing the line ) and IMO booing isn’t, although I wouldn’t have.
    Like do I agree with all of Moyes’ decisions or team selection etc etc,… think it’s best we just move on from Rice, he’s done and dusted and our past now….
    Thanks for his time with us and that’s it for me.
  • I had only seen the first half live, so just caught up with the 2nd half.
    At the end of the game, Rice was shaking hands/hugging the West Ham players as they filed past but with Bowen there was almost no interaction at all, I don't think they even glanced at each other.
    It seemed strange as apart from Soucek, Coufal and Fabianski they had probably played the longest together. Were there any rumours of a falling out?

I noticed this with Bowen but it might be that they'd already shaken hands before the camera focused on Rice so they didn't feel the need to do it again.

I don't get the Rice booing. I did wonder whether some of it was tongue-in-cheek, especially when he had the ball but if Herb was there and sensed it wasn't, then that's a shame. Sure, sometimes his comments can seem a bit silly but you have to remember he's quite young. People have always liked that he's had personality when he's being interviewed and not just given standard responses.

I kind of think it's funny that Lingard got all that applause when he returned after a dozen good games for us and Rice, who has held us together for years, has anyone booing him.

• Yeah that Jesse chap is STILL available hahaha
  • For me, if Rice had gone to the crowd after the final whistle and they broke out in song 'one more year... etc' that would've been both a bit funny and touching. A show of respect and affection plus he would've smiled, cried a little and came back to us when his contract was up (ok, not the last nit ;) )
  • I thought it was a bit flat on both sides, both his return & when he officially left.
  • His leaving was bound to be flat because he never really returned after last season closed what with internationals and holidays.
  • I would have applauded. He is one of the best young players that West Ham have had in years. Was always fit, always stepped up and I believe loves our club. He needed to leave for Champions League.
    We have also strengthened our team with the money made from him.
    What is there to boo about?