Arsenal (H) Mickey Mouse Cup 7:30pm 1st November (live on Sky)

Kick off in 1 day, 11 hours and 30 minutes so I might as well start this one and after a very disappointing week what better than to play a team we've not beaten in eight games

As Paqueta and Alvarez are banned at the weekend they'll almost certainly start this one but who else starts is anyone's guess

On the other side Arteta left captain Odegaard and Gabriel (Magalhaes) on the bench at the weekend which suggests he regards us in the Cup as more important than Sheffield Utd in the league. A bit of a compliment, I suppose.

Injury-wise Thomas Partey and the other Gabriel (Jesus) are both unavailable which leaves Arteta with just Eddie Nketiah as the only out-and-out striker. Does he risk him in this or play someone like Martinelli, Trossard or Havertz up front?

I finish work at 6:30pm and I'm off on Thursday so I'll be watching this one down the pub, for better or worse.

Comments

• Pretty sure Rice will want to play - it will be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets.
    I shall be watching with a gooner friend of over 40 years instead of our normal wednesday night snooker session.
  • edited October 2023
    Rice was subbed after 89 minutes at the weekend, seems a bit odd to replace him so late in the game

White and Martinelli were replaced after about an hour, Smith Rowe and Saka around the 75 minute mark so they could possibly start.
  • I wonder if Moyes will re-set by playing 3 centre backs? Me, total amateur that I am, I would try Emerson in a more attacking role. So... Areola unless Fab is fit, Mav, Aguerd, Cresswell; Coufal, Alvarez, JWP, Paqueta, Emerson; Bowen, Kudus. 352 or 532.
  • Mickey Mouse cup or not ,I still want to win it
  • Bizarrely Manchester City, Manchester Utd or Liverpool have won it 12 times in the last 15 years.

The last time it didn't go to the North West was 2015 Chelsea 2-0 Spurs
  • Arteta asked whether Rice will play "He’s likely. He’s fit and can be involved"

Apparently Odegaard has a hip problem but obviously it can't be that bad as he was on the bench Saturday
  • steve said:

Mickey Mouse cup or not ,I still want to win it

It’s only called The Mickey Mouse Cup when we’re knocked out of it.
    Dems the rules.

• We've apparently got a couple of injury concerns following the Everton match:

https://www.whufc.com/news/talking-points-moyes-arsenal-mohammed-kudus-and-carabao-cup-progression
  • Hopefully one is Ings ;)
  • No VAR tonight for some reason.
  • edited November 2023
    Fabiański ©, Coufal, Mavropanos, Aguerd, Emerson, Souček, Álvarez, Paquetá, Kudus, Benrahma, Bowen
    Subs: Areola (GK), Cresswell, Ogbonna, Kehrer, Ward-Prowse, Fornals, Cornet, Ings, Antonio

Looks like we might be trying Bowen up front, ahead of an attacking midfield 3 of Kudus, Benrahms and Paqueta.

Maybe it’s broken?
  • The teams is:

West Ham United: Fabiański ©, Coufal, Mavropanos, Aguerd, Emerson, Souček, Álvarez, Paquetá, Kudus, Benrahma, Bowen
    Subs: Areola (GK), Cresswell, Ogbonna, Kehrer, Ward-Prowse, Fornals, Cornet, Ings, Antonio

No Mubama, even on the bench. He was hailed as the next best thing but has hardly played. It has been reported that he has turned down a new contract. Has Moyes frozen him out or is something else afoot. I would have liked to see him get some minutes.

It's just so the ref can ensure Arsenal win.
  • Is Zouma injured or just rested
  • steve said:

Is Zouma injured or just rested

Moyes did say a couple of players came out of the Everton game with knocks, so Zouma could well be one of them. I wouldn't have expected him to play this anyway tbh.
  • I guess there could be something going on in which West Ham have been reluctant to allow Muamba to play whilst he fails to sign his contract in case he just uses it to put himself in the window and make excessive demands of that contract. This match would appear a perfect opportunity for him to at least get some minutes.
  • I don’t see this match as a perfect opportunity to blood a youngster at all, tbh. I liked winning something last year, and I would love it if we went for the cups this year and won something again.
  • We can Blood a youngster or two in the next round when we draw Port vale at home =)

It's deemed unfair to use as some lower division teams don't have the capability to implement.
  • Looked for a moment that we were in there, but Paqueta massively over hit his pass to play Bowen in.
  • Rice not starting - don't exactly see him as an impact sub.
  • edited November 2023
    Save by Fab!
  • edited November 2023
    Get in.

O.g. by Ben White from a Bowen corner, almost Dowie-esq in its simplicity.
  • Ben White to answer our centre forward problems?
  • MIAHammer said:

No VAR tonight for some reason.

It's deemed unfair to use as some lower division teams don't have the capability to implement.
    So now they decide this ;doh
  • edited November 2023
    Great header by White =) =)
    Also - White's got some beak on him, hasn't he.
  • It’s a good thing VAR isn’t in place because that would be a foul by Soucek on Ramsdale for the goal, IMO
  • Alderz, are you being serious as I didn't notice tha?