West Ham Utd v Everton. Sunday 29th October 13:00 kick off at the London Stadium

Comments

• League is bread and butter but we’re not going to get into Europe through the league so if we want it again next year then we need to win the Carabao Cup as we won’t win this years Europa league.
    Having said that we are usually pants on the Sunday following a European nights anyway although at the moment we are pants no matter which day we play on regardless of Europe.
  • Although I am a fan of his, I thought Paqueta was quite wasteful today - maybe he’s having special training with Benrahma!
  • edited October 2023
    The critics are going to be out in force but to be fair, there is plenty of ammunition, we had plenty of possession but produced simply nothing.

Thought we looked decent for the first 15mins but for the remaining 75+, we were sloppy with our passing/control and never looked like scoring.

Not sure what it will take to get us out of this slump, after a really promising start to the season, we seem to lack confidence and ideas, some individual flashes but nothing from the team that infers we can expect to get back on track anytime soon.

Ho hum
  • Might as well play Alvarez and Paqueta against the Gunners seeing as they are banned for the Brentford game
  • Lukerz said:

We’re not on par with Everton, we’re in the Brentford/Fulham type mini league. Everton are a level below that.

So today was just a blip then I guess in your opinion ?
  • I just wouldn’t class us at the same level as Everton. We’re playing in the Europa league. We are not at their level, despite today.
  • Lukerz said:

I just wouldn’t class us at the same level as Everton. We’re playing in the Europa league. We are not at their level, despite today.

Cannot agree, but let's just agree to disagree...
    I think the start we have personally just papered over the cracks, but let's hope I am wrong and we finish top 10 rather than 13-15th as what I expect......
  • Terrible game. No intensity, press or cutting edge. I lost count of the number of back and square boxes. Dominic Calvert-Lewin was surrounded by three WHU players but still scored. How many times did Paqueta give the ball away? We seem to be back to the old habits and that is now one win in six games. Something has to change - tactics, players, coaches, manager?
  • We lost balance with Kudus & Paqueta both playing without Emerson providing pace & width on the left. Bowen seemed to struggle & Ward-Prowse just simply kept playing sideways & backwards. Alvarez does a lot of things ok but doesn’t really seem to do anything really well.
  • Think I’ll start watching Villa, they’re scoring for fun. 11 so far this week
  • MOTM is gonna be another difficult one IMO.....
  • sadly i think we are on the slippery slope in the league. we dont seem to create chances and too many players are below par. Fed up with the ball keep going backwards particularly when there is little time left. waiting for 'we will pick ourselves up and go again'.
  • Think I’ll start watching Villa, they’re scoring for fun. 11 so far this week

European trophy to show for those 11 goals? Bet they’d swap it.
  • Not talking about European trophies, that was last year. I’m talking about the rubbish we are having to watch against the goal fests they’re getting. Who’s to say they won’t win the conference this year. We won’t win the Europa.
  • edited October 2023
    Both of those are hypothetical. You have no idea if we will win the Europa. Anybody can knee-jerk on the last two games. We were poor today & last week, but were pretty good in the 8 games prior, plus the cup games.
  • Alvarez had an 87% pass accuracy. Not much different from Cresswell and Zouma.
  • MrsGrey said:

Alvarez had an 87% pass accuracy. Not much different from Cresswell and Zouma.

Alvarez is a hard worker that gives his all, whether that will be good enough, too early to tell.
    It was just another flat, disappointing performance against a very average team......
    Sadly I think that's where we are......

I'm sure others will disagree, but I like Alvarez, he seems to wear his heart on his sleeve..
    Our best player Paqueta has looked poor in the last couple of games, perhaps not just down to him, and a few others seem very out of touch.......

Could well be a tricky month or so ahead while we find our footing again IMO
  • The issue is we are not playing well & haven’t really in the last four games (Newcastle, Villa, Olympiakos, Everton). Moyes comes out & says we’re not playing well, but that’s a prolonged period of 360-400 minutes where we haven’t played well at all. Not sure what we do to sort it.
  • We’re 9th after 10 games & I’d say 9th is about right for our squad & first 11.
  • Ironically, the one player I would not have dropped for Kudus was Soucek, which I thought was an odd call after his form at home.
  • Agreed. I would have left Antonio out and kept Soucek in.
  • Would playing Mubama and/or Marshall in the next game be any worse that playing Antonio and/or Ings. Antonio has had a number of very poor games and was bad today.
  • Not talking about European trophies, that was last year. I’m talking about the rubbish we are having to watch against the goal fests they’re getting. Who’s to say they won’t win the conference this year. We won’t win the Europa.

Watching West Ham might be worse than watching Villa but its a lot better than watching Chelsea

They're not in Europe this season and have even less hope of getting Europe next season than we do despite £1bn transfer fees
  • I have 'Moyes Out' on 'pause'. Want to press the botton though

Watching West Ham might be worse than watching Villa but its a lot better than watching Chelsea

They're not in Europe this season and have even less hope of getting Europe next season than we do despite £1bn transfer fees
    Problem is our hearts are not invested in the West London team, they are in West Ham…

Anyhow, hoping this is just a blip, a prolonged one for a few matches…
    But come the Brentford game, the players that get their chance to start in place of the suspended 2 are really gonna have to perform, not like their efforts in Greece the other night…
  • Bowen had a couple of decent chances before they scored, if he had taken one of them the story could have been quite different. Also Antonio went down holding his head in the build up to their goal and the ref allowed the game to go on - correctly in my opinion but a lot of players are now using it as a way of stopping play.
  • Problem is our hearts are not invested in the West London team, they are in West Ham…

I doubt if our hearts are any more "invested" in West Ham than Chelsea fans' hearts are in Chelsea or the fans of any other team anywhere in the world

Sheffield United fans must be wishing the season was over already but if they actually win a game they're going to be dancing in the streets
  • Problem is our hearts are not invested in the West London team, they are in West Ham…

I doubt if our hearts are any more "invested" in West Ham than Chelsea fans' hearts are in Chelsea or the fans of any other team anywhere in the world

Sheffield United fans must be wishing the season was over already but if they actually win a game they're going to be dancing in the streets
    You have missed my point…..That being I couldn’t care a less about Chelsea …..
  • I don't think Moyes really trusts the players to play a high press expansive game.
    I think he might be right but the lack of a Plan B approach is pretty concerning.

Both fullbacks are unfortunately a major weakpoint in the team something that still hasn't really been rectified.
  • edited October 2023

You have missed my point…..That being I couldn’t care a less about Chelsea …..

My point exactly

I couldn't care less about Chelsea, Sheffield United or any other team

But their fans do and they have a lot more to be worried about than West Ham fans

We are 9th in the Premier League, we are in Europe and the vast majority of fans of other teams would give their right arm to be in our current position