West Ham Utd v Everton. Sunday 29th October 13:00 kick off at the London Stadium

edited October 2023 in Match Threads
Seeing as one doesn't appear to be up, I thought I'd give it a go. I think it's a must win game if for no other reason than to spark a bit of confidence into the players. I'm going for a 3:1 win.

Comments

• I think after a good start we had begun to feel we will be looking at the top half of the table this season rather than the experience of last season. The next five league matches will provide a clear picture in my view. We must be demonstrating we are better than most of the teams we have lined up in Everton, Brentford, Burnley, Forest and Palace.

I am confident we can get a result against Everton and hope we can look good in doing so.
  • Going for a 2-1 win JWP and Bowen getting the goals .Which will set Preston up with a nice little run at this match thread lark =)
  • Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd - Johnson
    Soucek - Ward-Prowse
    Bowen - Kudus - Paqueta
    Antonio
  • Is Alvarez unavailable for this match? I've lost track of the yellow card situation....
  • edited October 2023

Is Alvarez unavailable for this match? I've lost track of the yellow card situation....

He's available AFAIK; he and Paqueta are both on 4 I think. Emerson has hit 5 which means he's suspended for this match. As long as Coufal is fit, I think we'll see Kehrer at LB rather than Johnson, unless Cresswell is deemed to be match fit which I think is unlikely.
  • Important game as we have not performed in the last couple of games, perform well here and during the upcoming spell and we will have a decent view of just where we stand.

I am confident that we will come good with a fairly comfortable 3-1 win.

COYI
  • I'm finding this confidence a little unnerving. Everton have won 4 of their last 5, only losing at Anfield against a 12-man Liverpool side.
  • I'm finding this confidence a little unnerving. Everton have won 4 of their last 5, only losing at Anfield against a 12-man Liverpool side.

I don’t think that’s right. They lost to Luton three games ago. They best Brentford away, but otherwise they’ve lost all their league away games this season.
  • edited October 2023
    Dyche doesn't do a lot of changes, nine players have started the last four Premier League games

Ashely Young is suspended and the obvious replacement is Nathan Patterson who started at RB for the first four games of the season.

Some Everton pundits have suggested James Garner moves to RB as he plays there for the England U21s but it seems unlikely

That might see a return for Idrissa Gueye (34th birthday last month) who picked up an injury in the warm up before the win over Bournemouth and was on the bench against Liverpool.

There is a question mark over Calvert-Lewin who started the last three but hasn't scored in the last two. The alternative is big summer signing Beto (£26m from Udinese) who started three games without scoring before being dropped to the bench

Best guess

Pickford
    Paterson Tarkowski Branthwaite Mykolenko
    Harrison Garner Onana McNeil
    Doucoure
    Calvert-Lewin
  • Doubt over Coufal as well as Emerson missing, so could be looking at Kehrer & Johnson as the full-backs.
  • alderz said:

I'm finding this confidence a little unnerving. Everton have won 4 of their last 5, only losing at Anfield against a 12-man Liverpool side.

I don’t think that’s right. They lost to Luton three games ago. They best Brentford away, but otherwise they’ve lost all their league away games this season.
    Sorry my mistake - As you say they lost to Luton but they beat Brentford, Bournemouth and Villa in the cup.
  • edited October 2023
    Kudus in for Soucek
  • edited October 2023
    steve said:

Kudus in for Soucek

And Cresswell in for Emerson

Best guess

Pickford
    Paterson Tarkowski Branthwaite Mykolenko
    Harrison Garner Onana McNeil
    Doucoure
    Calvert-Lewin

Dyche is a tad predictable

And of course I start work at 1:23pm...
  • edited October 2023
    Areola, Coufal, Zouma ©, Aguerd, Cresswell, Álvarez, Ward-Prowse, Bowen, Kudus, Paquetá, Antonio
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Kehrer, Mavropanos, Ogbonna, Souček, Fornals, Benrahma, Cornet, Ings

Although I think Soucek has looked much better this season than last, it's nice to see a slightly more attacking line-up with his replacement by Kudus. Let's hope Cresswell is somewhere close to matchfit having not played since 21st September, and not even making a bench until Thursday.
  • I hope Cresswell does ok
  • I hope Cresswell does ok

up against Jack (hat-trick) Harrison - what could possibly go wrong?

Come on you IRONS
  • Yes, Cresswell who has barely played all season…
  • A huge game today, both in terms of result and performance.

COYI ⚒
  • I hate to say it but Antonio's touch really is poor.
  • Both teams cancelling each other out. Neither goalkeeper tested as yet. Bowen missed a golden opportunity there.
  • Nearly behind then.
  • Complete mix-up between Paqueta and Aguerd gave Everton a 3 on 1, but fortunately it resulted in a weak shot.

Now a melee after a poor challenge by Tarkowski on Kudus. Pickford, as usual, gets right in the middle of it for no reason (he reminds me of Owen Farrell). Pickford and Kudus both booked.
  • Serious question, why was Kudus booked?

He was fouled before Tarkowski’s tackle, then fouled again for Tarkoswki’s tackle which I thought would’ve been a booking. Then there was a bit of a stamp from him which was definitely a booking. Yet he’s not booked?
  • edited October 2023

Serious question, why was Kudus booked?

He was fouled before Tarkowski’s tackle, then fouled again for Tarkoswki’s tackle which I thought would’ve been a booking. Then there was a bit of a stamp from him which was definitely a booking. Yet he’s not booked?

He reacted to Pickford shouting in his face while he was on the floor, got up and pushed him.
  • Serious question, why was Kudus booked?

Kudus was booked for his reaction to Pickford.
    I don’t understand how Everton ended up with the ball. The referee stopped play presumably for a foul but after the melee Everton get the ball.
    Just prior to the incident Kudus was being blatantly fouled.
  • Onana got his hairstyle ruffled and acted like he'd been hit by a baseball bat.
  • This is pretty bad to watch.
  • Been a quite poor and uninspiring half from us. Everton look more likely to score. Most of our possession has been in our half.
  • What a turgid watch. I hope things improve greatly in the second half.