Declan Rice departs West Ham United

Comments

• I feel hurt that he’s gone to Arsenal. I don’t believe they will be title winners and that leaves me feeling a bit like he’s jumped at the first big club to come in for him.

I could have understood Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Madrid, Munich, PSG, Barcelona or Man United, but I don’t get Arsenal. Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like Arsenal have just had their best chance of winning the league and they won’t be there again.

I think it became clear that staying in London has been a huge factor in his choice of club. It was obvious that he was going to move this summer, and after the respective starts of Chelsea and Arsenal last season, there was only really one club in it.

However we look at things, Arsenal are a big step up from us, and whilst I agree they might not manage to do better than last season, I'm confident, with the players they have and the squad they're building, that they'll finish above us in 4 if not 5 of the next 5 seasons. They are in the CL next season, and they'll be in contention for top 4 (or is it top 5 going forward?) for the next few years at least.

So Rice is going to get to play a better standard of football, alongside better players (remember how frustrated he appeared to be playing alongside some of our players at the start of the season), whilst still staying close to his family and friends which seems so important to him, especially now as he and his partner have just started a family of their own.
  • I thought Arsenal looked very good last season, topped the PL for a long time until they came up against us in the 2-2 draw when it started to go wrong. With that experience and the up-grades they have made I think they will be there or thereabouts. Time will tell.
  • OCS 👍🏻

Arsenal’s season last year reminds me a bit of when Leicester won the league. That year, all the traditional big six had a total shocker and it allowed them to pick up points where they normally wouldn’t and build momentum and confidence.

Last year Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United and Spurs were pretty poor for a lot of the season and Arsenal capitalised on it. Can’t help thinking that will be different this year.
  • Lukerz said:

Arsenal are still a huge club. The stadium, training ground, some of the football they played last year was scintillating. Finished 2nd, in the Champions League. They have lots of history, albeit a lack of recent success beyond the FA Cup.

I’m not saying Arsenal aren’t a big club nor that they’re a bigger club than us - they clearly are, will almost always finish above us and will always compete at a higher level realistically.

My issue is that Rice says he wants to be playing ‘at the very highest level of the game’. IMO he won’t get that at Arsenal, by which I mean he won’t be winning titles and competing to win the Champions League.
  • I disagree, to me Rice joining Arsenal makes perfect sense

Rice didn't want to leave London so City, Liverpool, PSG, etc. are out of the equation.

Arteta has got Arsenal playing good football, like Moyes he has brought some stability to the club, has been building a team, bringing in players that improve the squad and moving on players that don't fit his plans.

Meanwhile Chelsea are a car-crash and even though they've got Poch there's no predicting what's going to happen next with Boehly in charge. Spurs are just as much a mess as Chelsea and potentially could get worse,
  • edited July 2023
    Yep, Arsenal is the logical choice. Pep won’t be at City forever either. I think Arsenal offers the challenge of being part of something developing instead of going somewhere that is already established. It’s no guarantee of trophies, that’s for sure, but it then offers the challenge of bringing trophies to Arsenal.
  • Dec was always going to leave & it needed to be now. The final in Prague was meant to be his swan-song. What a memory for all of us to now cherish.

• This one isn’t photoshopped
  • Sad day but totally expected.

It's a good move for Rice as I see Arsenal as City's closest rivals for the next few seasons. He couldn't achieve much more with us so the move gets him to the 'higher level' he aspires to.

Not sure where the 'bigger than the club' narrative comes from. He's never intimated anything like that and has always respected the club.

One of the best players I've seen at the club and he will be missed. Good luck to him.
  • At least Moyes is likely to spend the "Rice money" on decent players

After we sold Rio we got Rigobert Song, Titi Camara and Ragnvald Soma

After we sold Cottee we got David Kelly
  • IMO Arsenal are no longer a HUGE club as mentioned above, they are a BIG club with history from quite a few seasons ago.
    I personally am happy it's over, hope he does well but Arsenal fail to match his dreams, just my opinion of course.
    Also think this thread should be closed by end of day before it's inevitably gets messy...
  • Arsenal announce signing, wouldn’t bother looking
  • Please close and delete the thread
  • Hamstew said:

Please close and delete the thread

👍

And a ban for IH for posting that Twitter link 😂🤣😂
  • Has the guy really just said "this is a massive club".

After joining in the West Ham song in Prague?

Nah, just trolling us now.
  • I would watch but I'm not in the mood for cringy tv.
  • What's with that "music" and what language do they speak over there?
  • Watched it. Poor.
  • Found it sickening to see his praise for Arteta for his man management and his character most of which he got from the documentary when I thought he came across as a pillock.
  • Whenever I boot up a YouTube video I'm getting the Muller advert featuring Rice. I've never despised yoghurt this hard.
  • If I hear Rice Rice baby one more time I'm setting fire to the Emirates hahaha
  • If I hear Rice Rice baby one more time I'm setting fire to the Emirates hahaha

Brian Moore enters the room with 'The Big Match'

(I cant be bothered with any Rice comment, already said my piece and everyone has said everything that needs to be said)
  • I also think Rice is looking at Arsenal over the length of the contract and maybe thinking Arteta is at the beginning of turning around Arsenal where as Pep may not be at City in two years now he has won the treble.

Pep pulled off a treble winning move in the transfer market last year by securing Hallend, he needed to secure Rice this year, not because he needed him but he is one of the few players that can make Arsenal a genuine threat this season.
  • edited July 2023
    Ugh, there’s an Addidas announcement video as well that ends with him saying “north London is home now”. Bit more irritated by that.
  • He made it clear for a while he wanted out, we were not u to his ability, and that’s that…..
    He has been plotting his move for a long while now, and it’s done and dusted…
    He’s the past
  • Close the thread! Close the thread!
  • Hamstew said:

Close the thread! Close the thread!

• edited September 2023
    Is there no escape?!

So today I went to see La Cage Aux Folles at Regents Park Open Air Theatre. As far away from football as you might get, one might think. Booked specifically for this weekend because it was the international break.

At the end, the almost entire audience ( was boiling hot, some audience members had to bail out) was giving the cast a standing ovation. My eye was caught by a red football shirt a few rows in front (obviously paid big bucks for his ticket while we were in the cheap seats,). Football? 🧐 Think I. A closer look, a double take....

and I realise it's an Arsenal shirt with Rice 41 on the back.

I followed him out of the auditorium and tried to accidentally barge him out of my way, but had to back off when I saw not only was he about 15, but he was assisting what looked like his disabled grandad.

Can't upload photo for some reason.
  • I admire the attempted accidental barge. You're a West Ham woman amongst women :)