Couldn’t think…. The next part

Comments

• Tierney was on VAR, enough said.
  • Saw this on Facebook. Number of injury days this season. Looks like we did quite well.

• MIAHammer said:

Saw this on Facebook. Number of injury days this season. Looks like we did quite well.

That's certainly how it felt, especially after the last few seasons. With our lack of squad depth I can't help feeling we'd have been much lower down the league were we mid table in the above list.
  • edited May 2022
    Funny isn't it. Arsenal are a team who alongside us have often been the worst for injuries. Both kept it together and put together good seasons.

Generally under Moyes I think we've done quite well with injuries. Ogbonna probably makes a bulk of those days. That's how Moyes has kept such a small squad going. Leicester and Leeds both used small squads when they won the league, so it does feel like something that makes a difference over chopping and changing. But then both teams later had really bad injury problems so it doesn't always last indefinitely.
  • How we did against each team ( home , away , total , points )

Norwich 2-0 , 4-0 , 6-0 , 6
    Aston Villa 2-1 , 4-1 , 6-2 , 6
    Watford 1-0 , 4-1 , 5-1 , 6
    Everton 2-1 , 1-0 , 3-1 , 6
    Leicester 4-1 , 2-2 , 5-3 , 4
    Newcastle 1-1 , 4-2 , 5-3 , 4
    Palace 2-2 , 3-2 , 5-4 , 4
    Leeds 2-3 , 2-1 , 4-4 , 3
    Liverpool 3-2 , 0-1 , 3-3 , 3
    Chelsea 3-2 , 0-1 , 3-3 , 3
    Wolves 1-0 , 0-1 , 1-1 , 3
    Spurs 1-0 , 1-3 , 2-3 , 3
    Burnley 1-1 , 0-0 , 1-1 , 2
    Man City 2-2 , 1-2 , 3-4 , 1
    Southampton 2-3 , 0-0 , 2-3 , 1
    Brighton 1-1 , 1-3 , 2-4 , 1
    Man Utd 1-2 , 0-1 , 1-3 , 0
    Brentford 1-2 , 0-2 , 1-4 , 0
    Arsenal 1-2 , 0-2 , 1-4 , 0
  • I saved my pre season predictions that the BBC website did, B) I was rubbish

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Man Utd
    4. Liverpool
    5. Leicester
    6. Spurs
    7. Villa
    8. Leeds
    9. Arsenal
    10. Wolves
    11. West Ham
    12. Brighton
    13. Everton
    14. Watford
    15. Burnley
    16. Newcastle
    17. Palace
    18. Brentford
    19. Southampton
    20. Norwich
  • Good statting, sledge!

So we did the double x4.
    Were unbeaten by another 4.
    Beat Liverpool Chelsea Spurs, drew with Man City.

Pretty good in my book.
  • MrsGrey said:

Good statting, sledge!

So we did the double x4.
    Were unbeaten by another 4.
    Beat Liverpool Chelsea Spurs, drew with Man City.

Pretty good in my book.

Brentford, Arsenal and Man Utd are a disappointing trio to be doubled by
  • Brentford I agree. The other 2 I'm not so bothered by. I know they had times when they were rubbish this season, but they are still stuffed with class/talent. Equally, if we had beaten them, I wouldn't be cheering too loudly.
  • MrsGrey said:

Brentford I agree. The other 2 I'm not so bothered by. I know they had times when they were rubbish this season, but they are still stuffed with class/talent. Equally, if we had beaten them, I wouldn't be cheering too loudly.

I think it's the manner of our defeats to them both that grates; we really should have got something out of most if not all 4 matches.
  • So close to drawing both Man Utd games and just one would have put us above them into 6th ( all other things being equal etc )
  • Pints, inches, bushels, guineas... 2 points for a win.
    #BorisDiversionTheory
  • MrsGrey said:

Pints, inches, bushels, guineas... 2 points for a win.
    #BorisDiversionTheory

Rickets, TB and workhouses ?

• If he thought he'd get away with it...
  • ...or rather, if he thought it would appease the 1922 ctte
  • edited May 2022
    Having some odd thoughts lately.
    What if hangs on and limps to the next election?
    I’m beginning to see an upside.🤔
  • Slacker said:

Having some odd thoughts lately.
    What if hangs on and limps to the next election?
    I’m beginning to see an upside.🤔

I think he will tbh. I think if he’s in charge they lose, but if they get rid there’s a chance they recover.
  • You need to get more sun Hamstew as you are looking pale!
  • Do you get the colour matched curtains too when you buy the shirt? 😄
  • Now that's what I call a plastic fan. =)
  • Where did you get the detachable hands from?
  • edited June 2022
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/01/alan-pardew-quits-cska-sofia-after-clubs-fans-racially-abuse-own-players

Pardew has walked out of his job with CSKA Sofia because the fans (some) make racist gestures towards their own players.

Good for him.

And all the debate about taking the knee - I agree there's a genuine debate to be had about whether or not the act/symbolism is effective/useful but there's no room for debate that there is still an unacceptable level* of racism in football and, in many cases, clubs could do more to stand up for fans, players, staff. Of course, it's not a uniquely football problem. But that doesn't absolve football authorities of the responsibility to do something about it.

*Any is unacceptable, but you know what I mean.
  • Yeah fair play Pardew
  • An Evening with Tony Cottee at the Old Brentwood’s 10th June: https://oldbrentwoods.com/event/an-evening-with-tony-cottee

May be of interest to some. I’m umpiring in Manchester on the Saturday, so unfortunately can’t make it!
  • MrsG, Sweeping Generalisation Alert This is a problem in many parts of eastern europe lots of teams boo their own black players and the countries seem to think it's normal & an acceptable practice.
  • I know.

I also know that booing might be less common in UK but they make up for it on social media.
  • Where did you get the detachable hands from?
    Dodger58 said:

An Evening with Tony Cottee at the Old Brentwood’s 10th June: https://oldbrentwoods.com/event/an-evening-with-tony-cottee

May be of interest to some. I’m umpiring in Manchester on the Saturday, so unfortunately can’t make it!

Where abouts in Manchester?
  • Example of an alternate reality:

"Russia's foreign minister has accused Ukraine of provoking further Western involvement in the current military action with its "unapologetic" demands for more powerful missiles.

Sergei Lavrov suggested the "risks existed" of involving a third party in the conflict, following the news that Washington plans to provide Ukraine with precision-guided missiles that could strike with precision at long-range Russian targets.

"The things that the Kyiv regime unapologetically demands from its Western patrons, firstly, overstep all bounds of decency and diplomatic relations and, secondly, are a direct provocation aimed at drawing the West into combat," Lavrov told Russian media, at a news conference in Saudi Arabia."

#couldn'tmakeitup
  • Insane.
This discussion has been closed.