Other teams' games through December 2021 and New Year 2022

Comments

• Rafa doing well I see
  • Lukerz said:

No I think that’s for the refs to decide whether it’s a genuine dive or an offence. For me, a shirt tug is a foul & a yellow card. Sometimes it will be a tiny grab & that’s for VAR/ref to sort. To me, a pull is a pull, whether a slight one or obvious one. But if a player does what Xhaka does as you are trying to go round him, I have no issue with the player going to ground & that is not a dive for me. A dive is going to ground under no contact or initiating contact. I agree we need to get away from any contact equaling somebody throwing themselves down, but a shirt pull is different to a collision to me or a tackle. It’s a cynical & deliberate act & no intention to play the ball.

We'll have to agree to disagree then; a dive, for me, is when you willingly go to ground when any contact there might have been was not sufficient to cause you to not be able to stand up. Football is a contact sport, and, whilst I agree that a shirt pull is illegal contact, throwing yourself to the ground for no reason, as Bernardo did (the shirt pull in no way made him fall over) is 100% a dive. Whether the shirt pull should have been looked at anyway is another matter, but allowing players of "big" clubs to feel the slightest contact and go down is not encouraging fair play and sets a dreadful example imo.
    I agree that that makes it a dive, but I also agree with Luke that a shirt pull is a foul, and a player that stays on their feet doesn’t get the foul. A foul shouldn’t only be counted if a player is completely taken out, imo. Easy way to stop diving is to start rewarding honesty
  • We thought our defence was shambolic at times but Chelsea and Liverpool are keeping pace with us.
  • That Kovacic goal was special
  • Liverpool defend as well as we do.
  • Well that was a thoroughly entertaining 45 minutes

Glad I'm not a Liverpool or Chelsea fan
  • West Ham would never give us this much stress.
  • Apart from the two non red cards I agree.
  • Buffy, why are you still arguing for the “shirt pull” on Bernardo? Are you just ignoring the leg contact completely? Xhaka lunges across him? Weird hill to stand on this tbh.
  • I see that Chalobah for Chelsea is trying to scare Liverpool into thinking he's the Predator with that haircut.
  • Buffy, why are you still arguing for the “shirt pull” on Bernardo? Are you just ignoring the leg contact completely? Xhaka lunges across him? Weird hill to stand on this tbh.

He rides the leg contact, then throws himself to the ground (ie leans forward and leaves his legs behind himself) after his shirt is pulled.

It's a huge bug bear of mine; if his life depended on it there is no way he can't stand up, but he simply leans forward and lifts his legs up behind him.

I know the argument is that if he doesn't go down, he doen't get anything, but maybe that's what needs to change; he stays on his feet and it's then up to the ref and VAR to decide if it's worthy of a penalty. As it happens yesterday he gets a yellow for me for diving, even if they then decide it's a penalty (the shirt tug is maybe a penalty, a very soft one that we'd never get, but the dive is exactly that, he threw himself to the ground when there was no reason for him not to be able to stay on his feet). Radical I know, a penalty and a yellow for diving, but 2 wrongs don't make a right, and there was no reason for him to go down except to "win" a penalty.

I know the argument is that if he doesn't go down, he doen't get anything,
    But that’s the point, surely? The rules of the game and the way they are enforced currently encourage diving / cheating / going down easy whatever you want to call it. If a player is fouled they have to fall over or else they don’t get anything
  • buffy, I look forward to you explaining that philosophy to Messrs Vardy, Salah, Kane & many others. It was a penalty on two fronts, Xhaka lunge and the shirt pull that is a foul anywhere else on the pitch (as they say).
  • buffy, I look forward to you explaining that philosophy to Messrs Vardy, Salah, Kane & many others. It was a penalty on two fronts, Xhaka lunge and the shirt pull that is a foul anywhere else on the pitch (as they say).

But none of that made him fall over, so, regardless of whether he was fouled, he still dived. As I say, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I know it's not going to happen as I feel it should, but if a player throws himself to the ground, regardless of any contact (illegal or otherwise) it offends my sense of fair play.
    alderz said:

But that’s the point, surely? The rules of the game and the way they are enforced currently encourage diving / cheating / going down easy whatever you want to call it. If a player is fouled they have to fall over or else they don’t get anything

Cheating is exactly what it is, so that's why it annoys me so much. If there's a foul, it's for the referee or VAR to decide, that's what they're there for. If a player suggests another player should be booked, that player himself is (rightly) likely to be booked; it's for the referee to referee the match, and diving needs to be eradicated from the game. I'd love to see a yellow for the first dive of a player in a season, then a red for each subsequent dive throughout the season; I suspect a few more players would find they manage to stay upright then.

• Wolves are battering Man Utd. Just can't put it in the net.

Weird, because the media can't stop talking about how Ragnick is taking them back to the top.
  • How did we lose to this Man Utd?
  • We missed a last minute penalty.
  • Apart from that hahaha
  • What else did the Romans do......

• Life of Brian, one of my favourite films.
  • good result for us :)
  • Wolves played some lovely football there, but like Brighton, very little end product.
    We should go nowhere near Traore (or Adama).
  • I wouldnt expect any goals or assists from him, but to see Traore in a West Ham kit skinning people would be enjoyable for me. He and Antonio would also be all we needed for a wall too!
  • edited January 2022
    Maquire, Lindelof and Bailly all unavailable so Phil Jones got his first appearance since January 2020

Rangnick has got a lot of work ahead of him...

• Spurs are such a great watch. 😂
  • IronHerb said:

Spurs are such a great watch. 😂

At least they scored =) =) =)
  • Oh dear what a shame ,never mind =)
  • edited January 2022
    After the match Conte said:-

"We need time, so much time, to retrieve the situation. You cannot do this in only six months or one year...I do not see a solution in this transfer window."

You've got to admire his honesty although I'm not sure its what many Spurs fans wanted to hear. I think it's called "managing expectations".
  • He's just blaming the board ahead of his failure.
This discussion has been closed.