NINE down - 11 to go. (Managers, that is.) ... (27.02.2022)

Comments

• Just checked, Mike Phelan is Man Utd assistant manager

He was assistant manager under SAF 2008-13

Managed Hull in the Premier League for 24 games 2016/17

Re-joined Man Utd July 2018 (OGS joined Dec 2018)

Caretaker manager until they find a replacement?
  • Yes although not announced United fans seem to know it's been agreed.
  • I think Ronaldo was a big mistake. They were building and he came along and prevented players like Sancho and Lingard bedding in. He is 36 years old and they didn't need him, I think he changed the dressing room and the established hierarchy. It was in many ways City's best summer business in propelling United into that decision to take Ronaldo.
  • Bye bye Ole. BFS is free
  • Sad day for all the clubs that Ole has gone =)
  • I think the interesting bit in the statement is an interim manager will be appointed until the end of the season. So maybe not such bad news that Ole has gone as they seem to have conceded that their first choice manager is not available yet.
  • They want Zidane. The sooner the better I say.
  • Wonder if this affect the Lingard situation. If Carrick plays him, will he want to stay past January and, more importantly, if it's Zidane in the long-term, will he sign a new deal?
  • I doubt he will take a gamble in signing a deal without knowing who is coming in and what their intentions toward him are.
  • Sky " understands " Utd are waiting to approach Poch at the end of the season
  • Zidane will leave as soon as the France job comes up so it will be a really stupid move to have stuck with Ole for so long then replace him with a short term manager. Ole had massive limitations but compared to other managers, I do feel like he was building towards a team that could be good soon - though it was likely it would need another manager to actually get them winning titles. You'd think they would want a long-term manager for continuity rather than Zidane.

Also Zidane's my favourite player ever (alongside Brazilian Ronaldo) and I don't want him associated with them.
  • Poch is the one for them I feel. although it will not be good to see them grow again it will be a slight consolation to let Spurs see what they could have had if Levy had backed him financially.
  • Wonder if this affect the Lingard situation. If Carrick plays him, will he want to stay past January and, more importantly, if it's Zidane in the long-term, will he sign a new deal?

From a selfish West Ham point of view, it was my first thought after the sacking. If Carrick or the interim start playing Jesse regularly then he could easily sign a new contract!

Then I had to remind myself that...

Ronaldo/Greenwood/Cavani up front
    Rashford Fernandez Sancho behind most likely first choices (with Martial VDB plus Pogba when he's fit and if he actually stays past January) all there for Jesse to contemplate.

Also, whoevers in charge, I assume will get some money in January and will want to do something about centre midfield...

It still bothers me that OGS could be responsible for us not getting Jesse and I dont like that knowledge floating around in my head :angry:
  • It’s funny that the top story on BBC is that United have approached Zidane and he said he’s not interested. The lack of planning at that club is absolutely astounding.
  • Very mixed view on the Man U forums. Poch generally acceptable but not so many really enthused as you would expect, most don't want Rogers, a few would like the Ajax manager but recognise he has it easy in Holland and may find the Premiership against managers like Klopp and Pepe a different game. There is not much appetite for Carrick and Phelan to be caretaker and the best response was some fella who wanted Keane in as caretaker...... imagine that? when the post got filled full time in the summer it would be like walking into a bar that had just staged a nasty brawl with broken chairs everywhere. Right up there with those of our lot who put forward Di Canio each time we had a vacancy, club legend, but manager?

I think Poch would be a great appointment for them and see them on the up again.

• Secret Squirrel Scothammer. What is it he's trying to say?
  • He's speechless.
  • edited November 2021
    I thought it was one of my more intelligent comments!🤦‍♂️

……and please don’t agree with this post!
  • I must admit I don't see the logic in appointing Carrick, he's been a coach at Man U since he retired at the end of 2017/18 season but has never managed a side.

A complete novice only 4 years older than Ronaldo
  • These are the same owners who thought bringing in a man who oversaw Cardiff getting relegated and had managed that powerhouse Norwegian club, Molde, was a good move.
  • It may only be me but does anyone know why a team believes someone who was part of a coaching set up that in the end resulted in the manager getting sacked can bring a new way of playing & improve on results. Surely IF they had a few bright ideas shouldn’t they have aired them sooner?
  • I’ve seen one article saying that the players had lost faith in the whole coaching team, and that Ole turned down the chance to replace his staff. I saw another article saying that Ole trusted Carrick’s opinion on everything and always listened to his advice. And then obviously the players have been saying they have no idea what to do with or without the ball. So it all sort of adds up to suggest a car crash waiting to happen. I can’t see it being much better than if Ole had just stayed.
  • Most of the football world hope so.
  • It's reported on the BBC gossip that Steve Bruce is very keen to take up a short term management role at Man Utd....... I bet he is
  • Sparky Hughes would be a great appointment IMO

😁😁😁👹😁😁😁
  • Give it to Dwight Yorke hahaha
  • How about Sir Alex he still seems to love himself.