NINE down - 11 to go. (Managers, that is.) ... (27.02.2022)

Comments

• steve said:

Dean Smith gone =)

First great news of the day.
  • Farke's available along with Bruce and Nuno......
  • IronHerb said:

Farke's available along with Bruce and Nuno......

We'll have nuno that thank you IronHerb =)
  • I don’t like anyone losing their job, but Dean Smith being sacked makes me question my own values. 😀
    Now just need to get rid of, or relegate Sean Dyche!
  • The Saints boss & Gerrard top two for Villa job, according to Telegraph.
  • It's getting more unforgiving it seems, barely into November.
  • I think this is a good time to change managers though. 10 games of the season, they can see the direction, international break to give extra time for the change, a decent number of games before the transfer window for a new manager to assess what he needs. Perfect time tbh.
  • Lukerz said:

The Saints boss & Gerrard top two for Villa job, according to Telegraph.

Hassenhuttl because he plays 4-4-2 and could get the best out of Ings and Watkins?
  • I’m slightly surprised that Emma Hayes doesn’t get linked with any of these sort of sides. I know it’s never happened before, but it’s only a matter of time before we see some female coaches in the men’s game, and she certainly seems to be a good one.
  • I'm not saying she isn't good enough but she coaches the best squad in the league, with the best resources. Would she be given enough time to get her ideas across?
  • alderz said:

I’m slightly surprised that Emma Hayes doesn’t get linked with any of these sort of sides. I know it’s never happened before, but it’s only a matter of time before we see some female coaches in the men’s game, and she certainly seems to be a good one.

I agree it will happen eventually but I think it will be a lower league team who does it first, and, I think the coach they appoint will have to have trophies galore before anyone takes a chance on her ( in the PL, at least)
  • I'm not saying she isn't good enough but she coaches the best squad in the league, with the best resources. Would she be given enough time to get her ideas across?

Is anyone given enough time? And having all the resources and best players hasn’t stopped Pep, Tuchel or Conte getting jobs!
    MrsGrey said:

alderz said:

I’m slightly surprised that Emma Hayes doesn’t get linked with any of these sort of sides. I know it’s never happened before, but it’s only a matter of time before we see some female coaches in the men’s game, and she certainly seems to be a good one.

I agree it will happen eventually but I think it will be a lower league team who does it first, and, I think the coach they appoint will have to have trophies galore before anyone takes a chance on her ( in the PL, at least)
    I think you’re probably right, but remember when she was linked with Wimbledon (I think) and said that she wins leagues why would she go to the lower leagues?
  • For the record, I’m not saying she should necessarily be given a job at any of those clubs, I’m just surprised she’s not even linked in the press
  • What I mean is, would she be given a job outside of the big clubs because I doubt any of them would hire her. It will be a lower league who take a chance on a woman manager I feel.
  • There is some slight irony that I feel Villa could do worse than hire Farke, and Norwich do worse than hire Smith.

I wonder if either - norwich particularly - be tempted by Allardyce?

Also think Nuno could be an option for Villa if he wants a quick route back into the dugout.
  • alderz said:

I hope eventually a female coach gets a job in the men's game. IMO hire the best person for the job, whoever they may be.

I agree that it will likely be a lower league team that will bring in a female coach first.

One issue, is that so much importance is given to having / not having / 'losing' the dressing room. You need the players behind you if you lead them. I feel currently, the mind set of many players would be not to fully respect a female head coach and thus make it hard for her ideas to get across and be effective, whoever she may be. I hope as time goes on more will be more accepting of a female boss in this male dominated world, but think we are a fair few years away from it currently. Generation Z in particular seem much more progressive towards gender stereotypes, so one day this will happen.
  • Terry left Villa in July
  • Appointing Howe before the international break is a pretty smart move. He has 12 days to settle in before his first game (Brentford home Sat 20 Nov) and 8 weeks before the transfer window opens so plenty of time to sort out who he needs
  • It's a difficult window for him as the players he will need and are available to dig them out their current position are probably different to a more medium term plan to establish them as title contenders. He will need spend big to get firefighters in but will want to preserve the even bigger funds for players that won't even be available in a January window.
  • They basically have to buy for the next 6 months, not for the future.

I look at that squad and it's truly awful. Who do you keep?

ASM is clear of everyone else. Wilson can be a real threat but apart from them there's no real class.

Fraser, Willock, Shelvey, Lewis can probably be useful if Howe gets the team set up right and maybe Lascelles can rediscover form he had many years ago. Matt Ritchie feels a bit like his best days are past him.

So that's an awful lot of players you need to get in to stop that looking like a relegation side and most of the problem is in defence. Someone like Evans from Leicester or even James Tomkins if he's fit? Who do you buy to fix this side up? Maybe if Howe's been keeping an eye on the Championship they can pinch the best talent.

If we say they can bring in maybe 4 players in Jan - who do they go for to get them out of this relegation battle?
  • I agree but that buying for the next six months is the problem, they need quality and quality won't be looking at short contracts, Quality if even available in this window will be looking for big fees big wages and decent term contracts.
  • Honestly, I think they’ll go down and then rebuild better, I can’t see a way that they stay up with their squad. Why would their players even care when they know that 95% of them are getting binned at the first opportunity? And even if they did, they don’t have the quality anyway
  • He’s always seemed a decent bloke to me but I hope he fails miserably. Not because it’s him but because it’s Newcastle.
  • Kjetil Knutsen being touted as possible Norwich manager.

Apparently he's head coach at FK Bodo/Glimt who coincidently also wear yellow

I thought Bodo and Glimt were characters in Lord of the Rings
  • ASLEF, They are the team that put six past Roma the other week.
  • I will admit I've not paid much attention to the Euro Conference

Looks like Roma put the B team out that night, only Rui Patrício is a regular in Serie A

Knutsen took over FK Bodo/Glimt in 2019, they finished 2nd in the league for the first time since 2003, were champions for the first time 2020 and currently top, 5pts clear with four games left

The Norwegian cup is odd, they play the first rounds in July, August and September then the last 16, Quarters, Semis and Final are in March, April and May.
  • Roma put out their A team in the home meeting and still only drew 2-2.
  • I think the Norwegian league shuts down for about 3 months over the winter. I'm not sure playing in -20 degree temperatures would be very good for your body hahaha
  • Norwegian season usually runs March to November with the Cup final in late November/early December but this year the start was delayed until April by Covid restrictions and they didn't have enough time to fit all the Cup matches in before the end of the year
  • I think the Norwegian league shuts down for about 3 months over the winter. I'm not sure playing in -20 degree temperatures would be very good for your body hahaha

Imagine what a sliding tackle would do to your knees and shins. :(