Bilic Sacked ... Who'll be appointed? (Now we know.)

Comments

• I am hoping that now Slav has departed more people will be able to enter discussions that maybe would not have due to respect for the current manager. fingers crossed!
  • IronHerb said:

I cant see anything other than Moyes coming in throwing some random hand gestures about, complaining about the ref in a post interview and repeating this for the next 27 games as we go down.

If we hire Moyes we are going down to the Championship.

At least we'll be competitive...
    With Palace for the worst manager appointment battling for 19th
    Thing is Yeold you believe that we are going to lose every time we play, every game is a 6 pointer or a Must win etc., so taking Moyes and his shocking track record should make little difference.
    Every game that isn't against a top 6 side, is a 6 pointer MUST WIN game if we as a club want to get into a European competition in the future.
  • Money not just coming for Moyes to be appointed but now for West Ham to be relegated due to the expectation of that appointment. What are the board seeing that most of football can't?

https://www.oddschecker.com/insight/football/20171106-money-coming-for-west-ham-to-be-relegated-following-potential-moyes-appointment
  • Can`t really understand the antipathy towards Moyes. I can`t see anyone else coming in on a temporary basis, and tbh we don`t really have a lot of choice. If the Daves are looking at surviving this season and then really investing in a top notch manager for the start of next season it makes sense to me. I honestly don`t think we could play any worse under Moyes than we have under Bilic and he may just re-discover his Everton mojo and see us safe. I don`t think Moyes is necessarily an upgrade on Bilic, but IMO Bilic and his team had to go.
  • Moyes is a poor choice but he is experienced, decent enough record, will inherit a good squad and undoubtedly will spend in Jan as the owners over compensate their failings again. The issue is much wider than this absolutist relegation/survival doomsday point as though thats the only thing that should determine WHU. Its sad to see but it has deeply manifested itself within the heart of the club under G+S and as long as they are here it will forever inhibit any chance of progressive elements being developed and implemented.
  • C+B yes ;ok I obviously expressed myself badly before. I agree with what you said in your last post. I had been trying to explain why I disagreed with your inferring that they believe appointing Moyes is an ambitious appointment...
  • Twc,

You talk as if there was anything remotely progressive under Bilic. I love the guy, but we have been utterly abysmal.
  • Further evidence, were it needed, that he is simply a class act, farewell Slaven, I wish you all the very best ;clap
  • Tony Gale saying it will be Moyes. I imagine he has good contacts there, though may not have been entirely up-to-speed - we can always hope.

He also said Bilic's sacking had been a PR disaster. I don't see it like that - I thought the club surprisingly actually handled it well. Saying this, still dreading potential tweets from Jack...

Wouldn’t worry about Mr Gale he threw it out there that our net spend over 4 years was about £4m ;doh
  • Just read a tweet from someone supposedly at sky Italy which said we’d been rejected by Ancelotti, Koeman, Dyche and Paolo Sousa before arriving at Moyes.

Funny how they keep getting knocked back on the manager front, wasn’t Bilic 5th choice?

I wonder why
  • Sky say Moyes is done and will be announced tomorrow.
  • That message from SB just makes it so much more difficult for me, personally

;weep
  • edited November 2017
    Moysy ;bowdown
  • Actually hate our owners
  • Lukerz said:

Sky say Moyes is done and will be announced tomorrow.

This will be a sad day for me.....

I will support him, but IMO this appointment will end in complete disaster ....
  • Slav has behaved in the manner of a gentleman and someone who understands what it is to be a part of West Ham.

If there is anything to be said on a positive note it's that he and the board have behaved properly in that he cannot say he has not been given a chance and he has handled himself impeccably, given everything and left respectfully. He has cemented his position in West Hams history which began as a player and will no doubt be remembered for a long while for those who enjoyed his first season in which for probably the first time in a long while, we actually felt we could win every single match home or away that we lined up for.

I recognise that could have had something to do also with the arrival of a certain Franchman, but on account of the differing ways in which they behaved I am happy to tell it in my own way and afford Slav the credit.
  • Apparently a 2.5 year deal for Moyes with a break clause in the summer ;lol

2.5 years!!!
  • I don't think Moyes will do any worse the Bilic this season, I am hoping he will get more out of the players in terms of organisation and fitness as a minimum. If its a 6 month appointment to prove himself I suppose its OK. I expect us to become more difficult to beat and hopefully get the results we need. At least he has time to assess the squad before the January transfer window.
  • While I'm not keen on Moyes (have I mentioned that?)
    I'd rather a proper contract, rather than a 'stop gap' approach to things.

I think that is preferable.
  • I think you would get a better choice of manager in the summer than mid season so if he does n't do well in the 6 months we can at least get rid and look for someone better.
  • edited November 2017
    WARNING - Time to open another can of worms.

Everyone who rang into the radio station I was listening to this morning although supported Slav said it was time for a change but blamed the owners for the mess we are in. Waits for the "we would have been in an even bigger mess but for them" comments. David S has gone on record as saying we would be in the Champions League in five years (not a lie) IF Moyes is given a 2.5 year deal that shows no ambition which they are reported to have said the next appointment was hopefully going to meet. Only thing I can find fault with Bilic on is his signing of Marko, we should have spent the money elsewhere possibly on a CDM.
  • Twc,

You talk as if there was anything remotely progressive under Bilic. I love the guy, but we have been utterly abysmal.

Jorderz, I believe in the stability of having a manager in place over the medium-long term because every single manager will have their good and bad moments, its part and parcel of football but it doesnt make them a bad manager nor does it mean the answer is to sack them; alot of the bluster aimed at Bilic has set a poor precedent for any incoming manager and with the disillusionment and incoherence of the OS I fear it has set WHU on a path of results only football, with the constant focus only on the short term, when the values that WHU supposedly fans want can only be implemented over time and conviction to mediate the times of inconsistency that will naturally come when trying to bring through acadamey players, play a more expansive game, etc, etc.

I have never said things under Bilic were perfect or anywhere close to ideal but there have been clear mitigating circumstances/reasons and I believe over time people will look back at Slavens time here with a different perspective from the one now. Despite all the issues he has helped develop a strong and established squad, was part of the reason why fans turn up to the OS, gave opportunities to young players and would've given more if there wasnt constant hysterics whenever we lose a couple of games, and always set WHU up with the core intent to win and to be positive, which is why under Bilic we were normally able to win important games and achieved some great results and admirable performances vs the bigger sides that in times gone by we would've automatically accepted defeat before kick off.

I can only apologise if my responses are abit fraught but I'm super bummed out by the sacking and with WHU under G+S, maybe tomorrow or in a few days I'll be a bit more nuanced and diplomatic but today I'm sad at the sacking and what it represents for the club,a club that for so long was proud of its managerial record and what we stood for; 5 managers in 10 years that coalesces with inconsistent football, restricted youth development and WHU financially still in massive debt.
  • Seen reports that some of our players left the stadium almost immediately after the game Saturday.
    Mark Swartzer apparently has said that Hart told him recently that at City when he had the ball there were 10 players looking and willing to take it but at West Ham he's lucky if there's 3 or 4.
  • Only thing I can find fault with Bilic on is his signing of Marko, we should have spent the money elsewhere possibly on a CDM.

While it's hard to deny Arnie hasn't worked out so far and may not have the temperament for a relegation struggle, I don't think it's fair to say Bilic should have spent that money on a CDM, since it seems clear that he thought he had the budget and the owners' backing to buy Carvalho. We spent less than we would have done this summer because we messed up on that deal, after pruning the squad to allow us to buy him.
  • edited November 2017

David S has gone on record as saying we would be in the Champions League in five years (not a lie)

IF Moyes is given a 2.5 year deal that shows no ambition which they are reported to have said the next appointment was hopefully going to meet.

Really? He really said we would be in the champions league in 5 years? Have you got a link to a direct quote, please? I mean, I know he likes to shoot his mouth off but that seems a bit nuts even for him.

re 'ambition' which I was reflecting on earlier.

This is what the club announcement said: The Chairmen and board of West Ham United would like to place on record their thanks and gratitude to Slaven and his team for their services over the past two-and-a-half years, but believe a change is now necessary in order for the Club to move forward positively and in line with their ambition.
    Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/november/06-november/west-ham-united-part-company-slaven-bilic#CrjSO36Gt0h8IZVx.99

Which requires an answer to the question 'what is their ambition'? Nothing was said about that in the very short announcement.

The Chairmen's statement has more specifics:

to push the Club back towards the level we had reached in his first season,

...We will now focus our entire efforts on bringing in the manager we believe can get the best out of the current squad of players and steer the Club towards the top half of the table as quickly as possible.

, we have not seen enough indication of the required improvement to give us the encouragement that things would change and we would meet our Premier League aspirations this season.

Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/november/06-november/statement-joint-chairmen#wIdxYHtMSUwKG4xE.99

By all means criticise them, but maybe do it based on what they've actually said, rather than make up stuff they said and then blame them for not doing it.
  • edited November 2017
    fortune, I found this... (from before Bilic was appointed)

---
    Asked about how he saw the next five years for West Ham, Sullivan replied: 'I’d like to see us win the Premier League and then the Champions League. Yes, I know it’s unlikely but again, not impossible — look at Atletico Madrid. We can all dream.

And Gold added: 'I would be disappointed if we don’t join the so-called top six within the next five years. We know the fanbase is there and it will grow when we move [to the Olympic Stadium].
    ---

I think you've opened a can of fake news, rather than worms? ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.