Really, does no one want to do this one? Liverpool (H) 12:30 Sat 27 April Live on TNT

1235»

Comments

• edited April 27
    MIAHammer said:
    He should be asked to explain what he was doing. It looks like he made a huge mistake in preventing Liverpool from scoring and then told Areola to accept physios to cover for himself. Areola made no indication he needed help.

On the Liverpool forum they all recognise it was a mistake and are very unhappy, that famous Scouse humour is in evidence however as many make the point he'd of probably missed anyhow.
  • edited April 28
    My take on it is that the biggest crime was not making the mistake and blowing his whistle, he was running to midfield and could not have expected Areola to drop such a clanger, maybe as he turned around, he initially thought that it possible that he was injured and thus blew his whistle.

Once blown he could not unblow it, unfortunately Areola was not injured at all, he had simply not realized that he was NOT taking a free kick and had flicked the ball some distance ahead of him and Gakpo pounced only stopping when he heard the whistle.

Realizing his mistake Antony Taylor looks like he tried to cover it up by then running up to Areola and apparently suggesting that he should go down and call for assistance.

Like so many things the real crime is not the mistake, it is the attempted cover up
  • From the BBC’s match report
    “Liverpool's Premier League title hopes seem all but over after Michail Antonio scored to rescue a point for West Ham at London Stadium.”

“West Ham now sit eighth in the table, with a fourth consecutive season in Europe in their reach.”

Who do they have writing their articles? There’s more chance of Liverpool winning the title than us getting into Europe again.

• alderz said:

I thought we played well in the first half, but were pretty rubbish in the second, fwiw

But Liverpool played poor in the first and a lot better in the second, so was it us or them or just how football goes?
  • IronHerb said:

alderz said:

I thought we played well in the first half, but were pretty rubbish in the second, fwiw

But Liverpool played poor in the first and a lot better in the second, so was it us or them or just how football goes?
    Both of those things? I’m not sure it matters too much.
  • Officially an Areola own goal, so let’s get this straight, from the moment the ball left the Liverpool player boot, the ball hit three West ham players before going in, is that some sort of record.

I swear when that happened I had a vision of Roger Daltrey on a pinball machine, Elton John in ridiculously large platform shoes and hearing Pinball Wizard.
  • That crazy sequence cost us two points unfortunately!
  • I can only say what I saw in highlights but I thought both their goals were unlucky. Sure, they might have scored a lot more from their chances but in both cases we could have krpt it out had we been more lucky. For their equalizer - if Areola is an inch farther to his right he saves it and with that pinball comedy - that was just beyond ridiculous.