Leverkusen Away Thursday 11th

123457»

Comments

• edited April 11
    I don’t think they’ve conceded more than 2 in any of their last 42 unbeaten games and only conceded 2 about 4 times so gives us an idea of the task we face next week. They are the City of the Bundesliga and at the moment, based on what we saw tonight, better than City. We all thought at the time that this was the hardest opponent we could face out of those left in it but I don’t think any of us knew just how good they are.
    They must be hot favourites to win the EL and it’s a shame that our European adventures will come to an end for at least one season and maybe this shows we should take the cups more seriously.
  • What if we finish 7th or 6th?
  • I think that’s a long shot but who knows.
  • I don’t think they’ve conceded more than 2 in any of their last 42 unbeaten games and only conceded 2 about 4 times so gives us an idea of the task we face next week. They are the City of the Bundesliga and at the moment, based on what we saw tonight, better than City. We all thought at the time that this was the hardest opponent we could face out of those left in it but I don’t think any of us knew just how good they are.
    They must be hot favourites to win the EL and it’s a shame that our European adventures will come to an end for at least one season and maybe this shows we should take the cups more seriously.

I know it's all opinions but better than City? They were good but I think City would be an altogether different proposition to anyone they have faced this season. I thought they played like City in as much as moved the ball fast and probed and probed but I think they lacked the superstars to unpick the lock such as KDB and Halaand. We did great and defended heroically but I think City would have unpicked a defence of Coufal, Zouma, Mavropanos and Creswell long before they did.

A lot is made of this unbeaten run and they have shown great consistency but if you looked for difficult games you'd find Bayern Munich, in which they won 3-0 and drew 2-2 and Dortmund whom they drew 1-1 with and will meet again soon, they have not played much else that would test them and cause them to be put in Citys league who are used to playing the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal. Spurs, and teams in the Champions League. They have earned the right to test themselves against the best and that will come next year, but in my view they would struggle against the quality of City.
  • I had to work so I checked in at half time. Happy with 0-0. Checked a chunk later and the same. I swear (on my spotify) Stephen Hague (the singing half of the PSBs) came on with 'Disappointed' and my check resulted in a 0-2! Apt and I sort of like the song but it sunk me seeing that 2nd goal come up. I'm not saying 0-1 would've been a good chance of us getting through but it just feels so much more of a mountain now.

We needed a lot of luck plus playing at a different level to get through. It was IMO always going to be a bit of a dreamers chance to triumph and if things dont go positively next week we'll have to rerally pull our socks up to qualify for Europe again (as a knock on effect, its always that much harder to attract a level of player when not in Europe and there has to be some grerat scouting to find players who have great potential to improve us)
  • At 60 mins or so I was starting to feel quite hopeful, we had held them off during the first half and in the second, they seemed to have run out of ideas and we were looking quite comfortable playing the spoiler role - I really started to believe we were going to pull off a 0-0 which would have been an amazing result.

They are a good side and in form but some disciplined solid defending and keeping kept us in it, (imo Fabs best save was that flick over around the 70 min mark) so it was especially galling that we were just not able to hold out and ended up letting two in late.

Next week will be tough and I am being realistic but we have nothing to fear or be ashamed about.

COYI
  • What will disappoint Moyes & the team is the nature of the two goals. We defended so well for the entire game - I don’t really recall them having any clear chances - to then let that slip with two set play goals, one a second ball that they got to & the second a short corner. I had no issue with them winning, they are a better side & at home, but those two goals were not good from our side & for a side who sets up regularly to be strong defensively, we don’t half concede a lot of goals.
  • They are odds on to go through but I haven't given up hope entirely. We will have to go at them from the beginning and an early goal could change the momentum unless it is for them in which case it could turn into a horror show.
  • Alonso has turned a struggling Leverkusen team into champions in a short-period with his technical/tactical prowess. They had a lot of variety and seemed to change shape depending on whether they were attacking or defending, and used quick short passes to push WHU back. They always seemed to have a man spare. That is twice this season we have played Leverkusen and lost. Hopefully, Moyes has figured out their tactics for the third encounter.
  • Paqueta won't be missed next week.
  • Looks like our Love in with Paqueta could be on the wane a bit .Wonder how many would now take the 85 mil from City .If I had the choice I would still keep him .
  • I'll take the money.
  • Brilliant player.
    But I fear he thinks he is above us.
    I Don't like that.
  • I'd take the $85. Its a cash in scenario. As his contract progresses he'll most likely never be worth that much on the market again. I like him and hes a great player but if he wants to spend half the season on Citys bench then fair play to him.

The money will hopefully get us a player like the lad Scott who we were interested in and went to Bournemouth (I'm not suggesting him or like for like but a similar bags of potential skillful AM) plus A LOT of change to spend elsewhere on the team
  • So Another Bowen then
  • Baz I think he’s worth more than what you’d be willing to accept.
  • Baz I think he’s worth more than what you’d be willing to accept.

I dunno. He was two bob on Thursday.
  • Whilst his ability is beyond doubt I have never really liked him as a player, too much play acting when he first arrived and Thursday just showed he just ain't a bright lad. I have always said I would take 85m in a shot. I think it overvalues him by about 15-20m. He has too many quiet games for me and will give away possession too often. I also am not sure he will get on with Pep as too undisciplined.
  • Best stadium, of the limited three I have visited in Germany, by a mile. No orchestrated fan chanting and flag waving but still loud and vibrant.

We were at a bar, right by the stadium, for a couple of hours before the game and met some locals and Brits, who live and work in Germany, and had a good drink and chat, just how it should be.

Also met up with a couple of 'Academy' dad's who I know who were rather scathing on Moyes treatment of the youngsters. Quite enlightening.

A good trip spoilt by the last ten minutes, shame. COYI
  • IronHerb said:

Also met up with a couple of 'Academy' dad's who I know who were rather scathing on Moyes treatment of the youngsters. Quite enlightening.

Care to enlighten us?

• No bias at all involved there
  • IronHerb said:

Care to enlighten us?

Basically Moyes will not play the boys even though they are told by the training staff how well they are doing. He doesn't get close the the development squad and shows little interest.
  • Lukerz said:

No bias at all involved there

So because they have a different opinion to you they are biased?
  • Well, the training staff of course tell them they are doing well.

I think Moyes has a better record than many for integrating academy players.

Of course the parents are highly likely to be biased. They are hardly likely to be saying ' my kid's never gonna make it as a professional footballer'. Perhaps they should pay more attention to the views of an experienced PL manager, rather than an academy coach....

• IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

Care to enlighten us?

Basically Moyes will not play the boys even though they are told by the training staff how well they are doing. He doesn't get close the the development squad and shows little interest.
    Thanks for sharing 👍
  • IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

No bias at all involved there

So because they have a different opinion to you they are biased?
    I don’t have an opinion either way. I am just saying there is clearly an issue with bias in that, especially if their kids are not playing in the first team.
  • edited April 14
    I'm curious how, if DM isn't interested in the Academy players, some of them train with the 1st team. Who decides that? (Genuine question.) Because if it's the Academy coaches who are asked to nominate their best players, it's their judgement about which kids are good enough. (So maybe the dads should be moaning about them?)

If it's DM, then since several players do train and get on the bench for 1st team games, what the dads are saying isn't borne out by the evidence.

If it's the assistant 1st team coaches, having been given 'scouting the kids' as part of their responsibilities, then maybe the dads should be complaining about the coaching structure.

The 'moans' that herb reported back on here can't be judged fair or not without a lot more context, imo.

Not that that will stop it being more fuel for many in the 'Moyes Out' camp.

(That last bit is my opinion, obvs)
  • Not that that will stop it being more fuel for many in the 'Moyes Out' camp.

(That last bit is my opinion, obvs

I've got all the cans filled up and ready to go.
  • For me, I dont think from periodic incidents to the games every few days as to whether Moyes should be in or ou. Its just how I feel and an amazing performance(s) or dreadful ones dont sway me. That all said, despite not particularly liking the man's personality, I do respect him for what he has done in the game and his longevity