Leverkusen Away Thursday 11th

Comments

• Furious.
  • Two set pieces. That’s a bit gutting.
  • And another set play
  • Oh no, not another one.
  • edited April 11
    It’s falling apart now. Mustn’t let it get to 3 even though 2 is probably too big an ask now as we’ve only had 1 attempt tonight.
  • We have no chance now, especially with the missing players
  • Ugh. That’s probably tie over. Gutted

Oh ye of little faith.

We'll smash them at home.
  • Gutting to lose 2-0 this late. They’re so much better than us in fairness
  • That last 10 minutes ended this tie. Rough.
  • Gutted to concede not 1, but 2 goals so late. Mind you, it's not like we've not done it before, it's almost like the way we play means we're knackered at the end of games.
  • Yep, final 6 mins ended the tie. Shame.
  • A huge ask next week without Paqueta and Emerson, and possibly Bowen and Phillips too.
  • Only plus is Liverpool lost 3-0 at home.
  • It's half time guys.
    Where's all your British grit, spirit of the Blitz and all that jazz.
  • That’s us and Liverpool probably out at this stage. Easy to see why they’re unbeaten but I bet we’re the only team this season not to have more than one attempt at them.
    With no Paqueta, Emerson, probably Bowen next week I feel it’s too big a task.
  • It’s like playing Man City. They were so much ahead of us. 0-0 would have given us a glimmer but without Paqueta it was only that. 2-0 is finished (IMO). Must-win against Fulham on Sunday.
  • We should have employed their tactics on corners. Just grapple their players and don't allow them to jump. Seems the referee was okay with it.
  • Shame to concede 2 goals near the end. Still have a chance for the second leg but we will be without Paqueta and Emerson and may be Bowen and Mavropanas. Fabianski had a great game. Moyes will have to figure out tactics against a very good side.
  • 32 shots to our 1
    10 on target

Absolutely zero chance going into next Thursday. Solid defending for 80 minutes before the inevitable.
  • I think we did really well this evening, defending superbly and were undone by a hit and hope strike and a superb headed finish. We deserved to hold out in my view as they are a great side, a City type side without the superstars such as Halaand, KDB and Rodri, we reduced them to few clear chances despite the possession.

In reality that second goal kills the second leg, especially missing Paquetta and Emerson, but we have got nothing to lose in really having a proper go next week.

We could be in a worse position, we could be Liverpool. Who'd have thought it?

• MrsGrey said:

It's half time guys.
    Where's all your British grit, spirit of the Blitz and all that jazz.

I just think the tie next week will be identical with them having 80% of the ball and us trying to break. So a tall order to win 2-0, especially given they haven’t lost in over 40 games.
  • edited April 11
    Leverkusen won’t change. Next week will be the same game style, except they start with a 2-0 head start. It’s not like we’re going to turn the tide & dominate.
  • They were much better (are much better) than us. At 1-0 we had a chance.

Big ask at home now. Just hope Bowen is fit.
  • Crying in my wine .somehow we have to get up for Fulham loose that and I think goodbye Europe for next season
  • Only plus is Liverpool lost 3-0 at home.

Doesn't really help us. That may mean that 8th place is out of the equation for European qualification and 7th is a big ask for us.
  • Really gutting. Thought at 1-0 we could still do it but it looks hard now, especially with all the missing players.

But when we’ve had to attack teams this season we’ve looked good, so let’s hope it’s an atmosphere like Sevilla a couple of years ago and the players pull something surprising off.
  • The better team won tonight, no complaints, is what it is.
    Have done well to get to 1/4 final IMO, not over yet, but will have to really perform unreal next week and a lot of Lady Luck on our side….

Fair play to BL a young team with an up and coming manager….
  • MrsGrey said:

DJ Hammer said:

It’s been a Moyes defensive master class

Defending is part of the game:-)
    You don’t say!!

• Ok they were totally dominant, but what did you expect? I thought we defended brilliantly and in that respect it was one of our best European performances over the last three seasons , so to lose it in the way that we did is absolutely gutting but overall a performance to be proud of.