Newcastle (howay) 12.30 Saturday 30th March

12345679»

Comments

• That can be said of the vast majority of stuff that is available to be watched, but it's too late to get into a discussion about that.

Just because he stands to make money out of it, doesn't mean what he's saying isn't true.
  • Of course. Also, doesn't mean it is.

Personally, I bring my scepticism to bear on these types of reports, and start from a position of not believing them unless there's a weight of evidence to convince me otherwise.
  • So, like newspapers then? And TV news...
  • So, like newspapers then? And TV news...

In theory, at least, actual news publications have an obligation to ensure they have evidence before reporting things. Joe Blogs on YouTube doesn’t have that obligation.
  • Newspapers have one of two purposes and none of it is to do with news, it's about money and power so they will exist as outlets for advertising, the money, then as long as we have the idea of democracy the next is managing power through influencing public opinion. The ills of this country have in part been brought about by newspapers which present information as truth or at least fact, that is then adopted by those without the inclination or ability to apply critical thinking. The media outlets are often owned by tax avoiding owners based broad, whose needs and aims are very different to the average man in the street. They then get that man to vote according to their aims. When it becomes evident what they voted for made them worse off they are encouraged to blame johnny foreigner, elites trying to point out the critical thinking to them, or if all else fails encouraged to just shout rule Britannia and focus on someone trying to change the colour of your flag, your flag.
  • And ... poppies!
  • They are coming after your statues, your statues, and your Christmas. Oh don't worry about your NHS.
  • alderz said:

So, like newspapers then? And TV news...

In theory, at least, actual news publications have an obligation to ensure they have evidence before reporting things. Joe Blogs on YouTube doesn’t have that obligation.
    Understood. I was commenting on how the papers and TV focus on e.g. Phillips' finger and sensationalise it to attract an audience. The moment for me came many years ago when TV stayed glued to a suicide jumper for hours. Tasteless, imo.
  • What annoys me most about TV News is that very little of what is broadcast is actually News, it is either a repeat of what they said in an too detailed introduction (leaving nothing for the person to say) or speculation. I wish they'd get back to actually reporting!
  • edited April 4
    I may be mis remembering but in the distant past newspapers seemed to report on events that had happened. Now it’s all could, may and what if. All doom and gloom scenarios which haven’t happened but might. Even the weather forecasts are hyped up to be Armageddon type situations.

Did I mention the plague of newts.
  • In what state of inebriation were these so-called newts? ;)
  • Adrian Mole took good care of them, so probably happy newts 😉