Newcastle (howay) 12.30 Saturday 30th March

A while to wait until this one.

Comments

• Howay 😆
  • edited March 20
    Botman doesnt fancy it and crocked himself for months to make sure he misses it
  • I am always wary of this one - coz if we slip up, my life becomes instantly intolerable
  • edited March 24
    Newcastle have several key players injured with Callum Wilson, Joelinton, Sven Botman, Kieran Trippier and Harvey Barnes all expected to be unavailable at the weekend plus Valentino Livramento facing a late fitness.

However the most significant absence is Nick Pope who has been out since the end of November and the difference without him has been noticeable.

In the 14 PL games Pope started they won 8, drew 2, lost 4, conceded 14 with 6 clean sheets and they were 6th, just seven points off the top spot

Over the last 14 PL games (13 with Martin Dubravka, 1 with Loris Karius) they've won 4, drawn 2, lost 8, conceded 34 (30 Dubravka, 4 Karius) with 3 clean sheets, leaving them 10th and seven points off 5th place.

Fun facts: Dubravka has played us 6 times, conceded 12 and has never kept a clean. In addition the last time we didn't score at St James' Park was 26 August 2017
  • So for those who have Areola and Dubravka, a clean sheet is just a mere fantasy... (incoming 0-0)
  • edited March 26

Valentino Livramento facing a late fitness test

The Chronicle reporting that Trippier and Barnes could also be in contention
  • Newcastle have several key players injured with Callum Wilson, Joelinton, Sven Botman, Kieran Trippier and Harvey Barnes all expected to be unavailable at the weekend plus Valentino Livramento facing a late fitness.

However the most significant absence is Nick Pope who has been out since the end of November and the difference without him has been noticeable.

In the 14 PL games Pope started they won 8, drew 2, lost 4, conceded 14 with 6 clean sheets and they were 6th, just seven points off the top spot

Over the last 14 PL games (13 with Martin Dubravka, 1 with Loris Karius) they've won 4, drawn 2, lost 8, conceded 34 (30 Dubravka, 4 Karius) with 3 clean sheets, leaving them 10th and seven points off 5th place.

Fun facts: Dubravka has played us 6 times, conceded 12 and has never kept a clean. In addition the last time we didn't score at St James' Park was 26 August 2017

Well, after all that, it's obviously a LOSS.
  • Is Tonali Italian for Toney? Just asking for a friend...
  • Bazshuayi said:

Is Tonali Italian for Toney? Just asking for a friend...

I hope that friend wasn't called Paqueta...
  • just sold my car to him, didnt get the name...
  • edited March 29
    Eddie says "This is a home game, expectation will be on us, we will attack the game in the way we know we can".

Which as good news as that's when the Moyes counter attack works best

Howe makes Moyes look flexible, he's started 4-3-3 every match this season apart from City away in the Cup when he tried 5-3-2

Another name to add to the injury list is 17yo CM Lewis Miley who picked up a back injury with the England U20s on Wednesday although 21yo CM Elliot Anderson could be close to returning from a back injury that has kept him out since October

Best guess

Dubravka
    Murphy Lascalles Schar Burn
    Longstaff Guimaraes Willock
    Almiron Izak Gordon
  • Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Emerson
    Soucek - Ward-Prowse
    Bowen - Kudus - Paqueta
    Antonio
  • I’m quietly confident for today
  • I’m quietly confident for today

I’m never confident or not confident about West Ham.

Every time I feel more confident it makes me simultaneously expect to be disappointed. But every time I expect to be disappointed I also feel like they’ll shock me, so I feel more confident. And then, guess what? The cycle starts again.
  • Moyes would be tempted to play Philips though I think Johnson would e better defensive choice.
  • Moyes yesterday

"We've got a question mark over Aguerd and we're just assessing Paqueta a little bit"

Cornet is back in training but not sure he's "match ready" yet

At least Kudus is fit
  • edited March 30
    We’ve got quite a big chance today, certainly a great opportunity to set us up nicely for a crucial final 8 games.

A win puts us level with Man Utd in 6th (temporarily anyway), but 7 clear of Newcastle. Brighton have Liverpool away & Wolves have Villa away, so two tough games for those sides directly below us.
  • Cornet hasn't been match fit in 18 months; the extremely limited game time he's had around the injuries he's suffered means he's never been 100% since he first got injured. I guess "match ready" determines whether he's worth a place on the bench or not.

Moyes hasn't been starting Aguerd anyway, so I'm not sure the question mark over him really affects much.

The big decision is what happens without Alvarez. 3 possibilities spring to mind. Play Phillips which, if he hadn't played so poorly since he's been with us, would be the obvious choice. Second, put Johnson in there, although it feels as though the cameos he's had in CM have been with license to get forward rather than as a disciplined, sitting, DM. Third, effectively play more of a midfield 3, with Soucek, Paqueta and JWP all putting in huge shifts to try and be effective both offensively and defensively.
  • Phillips is bound to start alongside Soucek. I would put Paqueta there too. That's where he plays for his country.
  • Sure Phillips will start and he owes us a big game
  • I don’t think we’ve won without Alvarez have we?
  • Areola, Coufal, Mavropanos, Zouma ©, Emerson, Ward-Prowse, Souček, Paquetá, Kudus, Bowen, Antonio
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Johnson, Cresswell, Ogbonna, Phillips, Earthy, Cornet, Ings, Mubama

JWP comes in for Alvarez.
  • Come on you Irons
  • Win would set up the weekend
  • Good start. Penalty to Newcastle.
  • Dreadful.
  • Oh no
  • Best guess

Dubravka
    Murphy Lascalles Schar Burn
    Almiron Izak Gordon

10 out of 11
    Livramento in for Almiron

Or could be

Dubravka
    Murphy Lascalles Schar Burn Livramento
    Izak Gordon

• We might be alright. Gordon coming back from offside position before Coufal kicked him
  • Looks offside