Newcastle (howay) 12.30 Saturday 30th March

Comments

• I'm surprised it's stood tbh, but the ref let us take it.

Tbh, he was holding his face, it was never a head injury, so it should stand.
  • What was Kudus trying there? (Ovbiously on a bit of a lag)

He wanted the stool for his goal celebration but the ball boy wasn’t giving it up.
  • Refs are overly cautious with head injuries imo, especially with VAR; all too often someone has their face brushed and go down when it's clear there's no serious injury. The game should only stop when there's a serious impact on the head not a slight flick of the face.
  • The ref has been really poor and got a lot wrong. Most in their favour, but the goal was weird. The guy was faking it as usual but I can see why Newcastle would be annoyed given the rules.

Still can't understand how their penalty wasn't overturned for offside, though. That was bizarre.
  • Paqueta has done the same as the Newcastle defender at least 3 times today, so despite my earlier comment at least he was consistent in ignoring the feigned injury.
  • Schar got punished for play acting. It wasn't a head injury and he tried to con the ref and got Newcastle got punished. Excellent fightback to be 2-1 up.
  • Too many players (including our own) stay down whenever they feel the slightest touch near their face feigning head injury either to stop play or hoping to get a player sent off.

The head injury rule, IMO, was introduced for when there is a chance of a concussion or other serious head injury following a collision not for innocuous cases like this, so the referee did the right thing by not stopping play. On the other hand, we might be all singing a different tune if that happened to us.
  • Got to give the lads credit after going 1 down early
  • Fabianski is in for Areola.
  • Get in, Bowen.
  • Kudus has had a pretty poor half

Been Messi since I posted this
  • Boom Boom Boom!!!
  • For a moment I thought Kudus let that ball drift out of play.
  • Love the slow mo shot of those glum Geordies behind the goal
  • Until added time at the end of the first half, both Bowen and Kudus had been fairly underwhelming, now they've each scored one and assisted one by the 48th minute.
  • Pinch me someone!
  • Newcastle about to make 3 changes. Next goal is crucial.
  • edited March 30
    Livramento twists his ankle nastily, but has at least got up and can walk off. 2 of their back line have had to be replaced so far. In fact, the guy who came on for Lascelles early on has also been subbed as well.
  • Why have we changed to taking short corners?
  • Anyone else think we need a 4th
  • steve said:

Anyone else think we need a 4th

Definitely.
  • First Isak and then Longstaff, in the space of a couple of minutes, have shot wide from close range. We're living dangerously.
  • steve said:

Anyone else think we need a 4th

And a fifth looking at the way we are inviting them to play in our box.
  • Newcastle will run out of substitutes at this rate!
  • It’s strange but I have absolutely no sympathy for Saudi-owned Newcastle’s injury problems
  • Almiron has only just come on, and it looks like he's going off. All 5 subs used by Newcastle inside 67 minutes.

Phillips coming on for us it seems.
  • Oh no! KP coming on. Cue the Newcastle come back.
  • edited March 30
    That’s twice they’ve subbed a sub