Cricket ODI World Cup

124»

Comments

• Sri Lanka could be heading for some unwanted records, currently 22-7 chasing India's 357.
  • A frustrating 9th wicket stand for Australia, but we bowl them out in the 50th over for 286. I'm sure, ordinarily, we'd be very happy chasing 287, but our batsmen all seem to be out of nick so I'm really not confident at all.
  • Bairstow out first ball, for goodness sake.
  • Root gone now as well, 19-2.
  • A bit of a rumpus in the Sri Lanka-Bangladesh game, Angelo Mathews becomes the first player in an international match to be given "timed out". It appears that, on the fall of a wicket, he made his way to the crease, tried to adjust his helmet and the strap broke. Pictures then show him (I wasn't watching live) in the middle of the pitch with 2 helmets, the Bangladesh captain appeals and the umpires give him out.

Not having seen the incident, it does feel very harsh (akin to a mankad dismissal), as a helmet is a mandatory piece of equipment against fast bowlers (although admittedly not against the slow bowler that was bowling at the time) so would have to have been replaced at some point unless Mathews was out before a quickie came on.

I'm not sure why Mathews had two helmets with him in the middle, although sometimes they swap something from one to another (a neck guard maybe); surely the only good thing to come from this would be for all batsmen to have at least 2, ready-to-go helmets available. There never seems to be a time issue when a batsman is hit on the helmet, has to change it (again mandatory) yet is then seen removing something from the first helmet and attaching it to the new one, but Bangladesh seemed to take issue with it in this incident.

I know they're against the clock to get overs in, but you have to feel that the fielding side, during such a delay, gets time added to bowl their allocation (as should and probably is when a batsman is injured and requires treatment or a concussion test), so that should not be a factor imo. The umpires, similar to a mankad or the controversial dismissal of Bairstow in the summer, have their hands somewhat tied; if the fielding side choose to appeal and not withdraw that appeal, then they have to give the player out, but it feels extremely harsh for a case of equipment failure.
  • I agree with what you say, definitely that the bowling side should be credited the time.

Interestingly if you had an equipment failure on any ball apart from the first, this presumably couldn't happen. The interpretation must be then check your equipment carefully before walking out, 'cause it's your fault if it fails immediately!
  • I agree with what you say, definitely that the bowling side should be credited the time.

Interestingly if you had an equipment failure on any ball apart from the first, this presumably couldn't happen. The interpretation must be then check your equipment carefully before walking out, 'cause it's your fault if it fails immediately!

Whilst I agree you should check your equipment, if the strap failed as he adjusted it to face a ball, rather than to walk out to the middle, then it's still a case of equipment failure. All in all it feels extremely harsh imo.
  • I think 'strict liability' was the expression I was looking for about the way this makes you responsible for checking your equipment! I wasn't agreeing with it.

Bob Willis once famously forgot his bat ...
  • The new batter must be ready to face his first ball within 2 minutes of the wicket falling ie must have taken guard. The 2 minute law only applies at the moment in this World Cup. Normally it is 3 minutes.
    Matthew’s did not take guard. If he had done and then stopped the bowler so he could adjust the strap on the helmet he would have been ok
  • Even so, for want of a better phrase, it's not within the spirit of the game; the Bangladesh captain didn't have to appeal.
  • Outstanding performance by Glenn Maxwell, hitting 201 not out (out of Australia's total of 293-7) as Australia recover from 49-4 and 91-7 to beat Afghanistan. Even more amazing is that he was barely able to walk for the last chunk of his innings, literally just standing at the crease and clubbing 4's and 6's, then hobbling down the other end and doing the same.
  • Silly run out of Malan for 87 leaves us at 139-3, 2 quick wickets lost from 133-1.
  • edited November 2023
    178-5, the makings of a very below par score given the easy nature of the pitch and the relatively small ground. I know I've said it before, but it's hard to believe how out of form our batsmen have been.
  • If this was a football team they would be saying the coach has lost the dressing room, but they don't. The dropping of Roy just prior to thee tournament then Stokes selecting himself just before the tournament may well have unsettled the focus.
  • 339-9, thanks in the main to a 7th wicket stand of 129 between Stokes and Woakes who scored 108 (off 84) and 51 (45) respectively. Probably still a below par score given the pitch and small ground; 124 runs from the last 10 overs (with wickets down) proves that a big score is easily possible.
  • Yay, England win by 160 runs against the cricketing might of the Netherlands and we're finally off the bottom of the table on net run rate.
  • Decent performance with the bat against Pakistan, 337-9. Let's see what the bowlers can do.
  • A good start, Willey takes a wicket with the second ball, and has struck again in the third over to leave Pakistan 10-2.
  • England win by 93 runs. We won 3 out of the first 2 and last 2 matches, shame about the 5 straight losses in between. The win secures a very disappointing 7th in the table.
  • India v Australia, it's a bit like who do you want to win out of Liverpool and Man Utd.

Can't stand Kohli, and really dislike any Australian team with either Smith or Warner in it. I really haven't got a dog in this fight, I really want both teams to lose 😭😭😭.

India only make 240, but Australia slip to 47-3 when Smith was given lbw and didn't review; the ball struck his pad outside the line (couldn't happen to a nicer guy).
  • It's playing a lot like England's match against India, except they then bowled us out and I expect Australia to make this.