Cricket ODI World Cup

England begin their defence of the ODI World Cup today against the team they beat in the final in such dramatic fashion 4 years ago., New Zealand. It's different to many other competitions, both cricket's own T20 and the World Cups of both football and rugby, in that it starts with a round robin against all other teams in the competition rather than there being separate groups.

Stokes out injured, so Harry Brook starts. New Zealand won the toss and put us in.

Comments

• A disappointing and likely sub-par total of 282-9; the pitch didn't seem to hold any demons but every time we looked to try to increase the tempo we lost a wicket. 5 players made 20 or more, but only 1 made more than 43 (Root with 77 off 86 balls).

We'll need to be very good with the ball and in the field to win this, we're up against it I fear.
  • Kiwis are off to a flyer.
  • Woakes was very expensive with the new ball, and now Wood is being hit all over the park. We desperately need wickets to slow them down.
  • This is so easy for the Kiwis. Quite a few of the England batters gave their wickets away with poor shots and the Kiwis are showing us how you’re supposed to bat.
  • If we continue playing like we have been then our World Cup will be over pretty soon.
  • NZ win by 9 wickets with over 13 overs to spare. Very poor by England.
  • Lads sometimes you just have to praise the opposition don’t you?
    Those two boys put on a superb batting display.👏
    Looooong way to go in this World Cup. If I remember correctly we lost three group games last time but we all remember what happened.
  • If we continue playing like we have been then our World Cup will be over pretty soon.

We lost 4 of our 9 group games last time out so it’s far to early to worry.
  • IronHerb said:

If we continue playing like we have been then our World Cup will be over pretty soon.

We lost 4 of our 9 group games last time out so it’s far to early to worry.
    I think we only lost 3 and won 6, but yeah, too early to panic just yet but we were truly outplayed today.
  • You’re right buffy. 👍
  • Underwhelming finish to our innings against Bangladesh today, cruising at the 40 over mark and looking on course for 400+, but fell away with a lot of cheap wickets to finish on 364-9. It should be enough, but disappointing that there weren't a few more runs outside of the top 3.
  • A comfortable win by 137 runs, but it was to be expected against one of the lower ranked teams in the competition.
  • England are ranked 6th and Bangladesh 7th in the world. I’m
  • Not that I feel particularly sorry for them (I have nothing but ill-feelings towards the Australian cricket team while Smith or Warner is in it), but the Stoinis wicket was a poor decision by the 3rd umpire imo; the hand that gloved the ball was definitely off the bat and, contrary to what the 3rd umpire said, it didn't look like it was touching the other hand that was still holding the bat.

The shots shown weren't 100% conclusive, but the 3rd umpire was very quick with his decision which appeared wrong on the evidence shown.
  • But did the 3rd Umpire see the split screen?
  • edited October 2023
    IronHerb said:

But did the 3rd Umpire see the split screen?

I can't see why we should have access to more information than him, can you? Perhaps he thought it was originally onside 😂🤣😂.

Aussies lose by 134 runs, what a shame 😂🤣😂.
  • But I’m trying to think where that did happen, maybe VAR where Sky showed something that VAR didn’t see.
  • IronHerb said:

But I’m trying to think where that did happen, maybe VAR where Sky showed something that VAR didn’t see.

I remember MOTD showing the ball about a yard out of play but Man Utd were still allowed to score.............
  • edited October 2023
    Not to do with the World Cup, but in an women's international T20 Argentina scored 427-1 😱😱😱 against Chile, that's over 21 an over. I looked at the score card, both openers made a century but their strike rates were surprisingly low for such a high scoring rate.

Then I looked at the extras, 64 no balls in a 20 over match 😂🤣😂.

• Meanwhile, Pakistan collapse against India, losing 5 wickets for 16 runs. Currently 176-7 having gone from a comfortable 155-2 to 171-7.
  • Meanwhile, Pakistan collapse against India, losing 5 wickets for 16 runs. Currently 176-7 having gone from a comfortable 155-2 to 171-7.

And now all out for 191, losing their last 8 wickets for just 36 runs.
  • Big win for India, by 7 wickets and with 19 overs to spare.
  • Afghanistan tanking our bowlers all over the place.
  • Fortunately we've managed to rein Afghanistan and have reduced them to (currently) 216-6, in part aided by a run out of Gurbaz who made 80 off 57 balls.

Chris Woakes's form is quite worrying imo, he's gone for around 30 in his first 3 overs in each of our 3 matches so far; what's more, Bangladesh and Afghanistan are hardly amongst the highest ranked teams in the competition.
  • Afghanistan had a bit of a late flourish and reached 284 all out in the last over.

Not a great bowling performance overall imo, especially from our faster bowlers, although Rashid and Livingstone did well; it isn't the biggest of grounds though.
  • Not a good start, Bairstow gone for 2, 3-1.
  • And now Root's gone, 33-2.
  • Now Malan, 68-3.
  • Not looking good, will it be the making of Harry Brook?
  • Buttler, 91-4.