Cricket ODI World Cup

Comments

• Livingstone, 117-5.
  • Curran, 138-6.
  • England lose by 69 runs.
  • All out for only 215. Very poor, the first time they've beaten us I think.
  • edited October 2023
    It’s only the second time they’ve beaten anybody in a World Cup. The other was Scotland.
  • World Cup double header against South Africa on Saturday, a group game in cricket and then a semi-final in the rugby in the evening.
  • South Africa in trouble against the Netherlands, 145-7 chasing 246, they need a further 101 off 72 balls.
  • The Netherlands win by 38 runs, Saturday will see both England and South Africa looking for redemption.
  • England win the toss and put South Africa in to bat.

A loss here leaves England right up against it. 3 changes sees Stokes come in for his first game, the other two are Willey and Atkinson. Woakes, Curran and Livingstone miss out. Nowhere near as deep a batting line-up as usual.
  • Early drama sees an England review for caught behind off just the second ball, looked out to me but the umpire thought it was just bat on ground. He's out, 4-1.
  • After a good start, will the lack of bowling options bite us? Topley has just gone off injured; he hurt a finger trying to field off his own bowling, was hit for consecutive 4s and then Root finished his over. Unlike previous matches, Root is our first reserve bowler to the main 5; in other matches Livingstone or Moeen Ali provided more depth. In addition, Rashid has already spent time off the field, apparently with a dodgy tummy.
  • We're definitely struggling here. We pick less bowlers and they start to break down. This isn't as good a team as four years ago, I always thought they would struggle in India and their itinerary is horrible, but they also seem to be less fortunate which is always part of sport!
  • And Topley strikes! The thing I like about the ODI format, and I hope all three formats keep going, is you have to keep going deep. A player can win a T20 match, but a team has to win an ODI one. Even with their good position at 35 overs, a couple of wickets and the SA total can still be restricted.
  • Yeah, at times South Africa have really been on top, but the 2 wickets from Rashid, and now another 2 from Topley since he's come back on could keep a target within reach. Klaasen is still very dangerous though, as can Jansen be as well, but 5 wickets down with still 13 overs to go means they need to be aware that there's not too much more batting to come with still quite a bit of time to go.
  • I would think they’re already beyond our reach. We’re likely to have to chase about 350 and today we only bat to about number 6.
  • I would think they’re already beyond our reach. We’re likely to have to chase about 350 and today we only bat to about number 6.

They're already past 350 with 17 balls to go. It is a good pitch though, so a big chase is possible.
  • This ‘split coach’ thing is going well.
  • They’re already beyond England’s highest ever run chase
  • They're hitting 6s for fun, it's gonna be close to, if not over, 400.
  • 399-7. Time for our top order to stand up.
  • 400 to chase. With only 6 batters that’s a very tall order.
  • Even if the top order stand up they’ll still end up 70 short.
  • Bairstow didn’t stand up for long.
  • Nor did Root. We’ve been abysmal this World Cup.
  • 24-3, Malan gone now as well.
  • At this rate we’ll be lucky to get to 100 let alone 400.
  • 38-4, Stokes.
  • Our last batter coming in. What an enormously stupid mistake to put them in when the humidity was so high. We exhausted ourselves when we could so easily have done it to them.
    Would Morgan have made the same mistake I wonder.
  • Buttler gone, 67-5. Truly shocking.
  • edited October 2023
    And Brook, although he is reviewing. He's toast, 68-6.