EURO 2024 Qualifier’s

124»

Comments

• edited October 2023
    Maguire and Phillips both start tonight 😵, Bowen drops to the bench with Rashford replacing him in the starting line-up.
  • Scamacca starts for Italy!
  • edited October 2023
    Phillips in the book already.

As is Udogie of Spurs who has started at LB for Italy.
  • Maguire and Phillips both start tonight 😵, Bowen drops to the bench with Rashford replacing him in the starting line-up.

Still probably accurate, as I suspect Foden would play on the left if given a choice, but Rashford has started on the left with Foden on the right.

• edited October 2023
    Scamacca scores, his first goal for Italy.
  • edited October 2023
    Declan all over the place

Misses the ball then lets him run off him
  • England penalty for a foul on Bellingham.
  • edited October 2023
    Decent save from Pickford in injury time, good job they were pretty inept with the rebound.

1-1 HT.
  • edited October 2023
    Clinical goal on the break, good finish by Rashford, although, having seen it again, the Italian defense was pretty poor.
  • edited October 2023
    Phillips could and maybe should have had a second yellow card there, lucky still to be on the pitch imo.

Maybe Southgate feels the same, Henderson on for Phillips.
  • Good goal by Kane, 3-1.
  • 3-1 FT, England qualify.
  • Bellingham is another level.
  • I've just noticed that there is another international break next month. Do we usually have 3 separate international breaks by November?
  • England U20 1*2 Portugal U20 Divin Mubama started, subbed 78 mins

N Ireland 0-1 Slovenia, Callum Marshall stayed on the bench

Morocco 3-0 Liberia, Aguerd played 90 mins, got a yellow card

France 4-1 Scotland Do you reckon Areola takes a book to matches as he knows he's unlikely to actually play?
  • I've just noticed that there is another international break next month. Do we usually have 3 separate international breaks by November?

I'm not sure but is it not because of the World Cup last winter took away the dates last season hence the condensed Euro qualifying this season?

Yes, usually there is, but as Herb said things were affected by the World Cup last year.

In 2021 England played Albania & San Marino in November, winning by a combined 15 goals to nil.

In 2020 they played Belgium and Iceland. In 2019 Montenegro and Kosovo. I'm not going to keep listing out games, but I have just checked and there was a World Cup qualifying round in November 1992 (beat Turkey 4-0!) so I think it's been happening for a long while.
  • alderz said:

I've just noticed that there is another international break next month. Do we usually have 3 separate international breaks by November?

Yes, usually there is, but as Herb said things were affected by the World Cup last year.

In 2021 England played Albania & San Marino in November, winning by a combined 15 goals to nil.

In 2020 they played Belgium and Iceland. In 2019 Montenegro and Kosovo. I'm not going to keep listing out games, but I have just checked and there was a World Cup qualifying round in November 1992 (beat Turkey 4-0!) so I think it's been happening for a long while.
    I must be getting old; it seems to be annoying me (and thus I've noticed it) more this year than previously.

• I personally find it more annoying in seasons when we're good, because I don't like our flow being interrupted. When we're having a bad run I don't mind an international break!
  • And finally

Mexico 2-2 Germany Alvarez played 90 mins, picked up a yellow card

USA 4-0 Ghana, Kudus came off after 75 mins, rumours started on Twitter, etc. that he was injured but apparently not

• Mexico 2-2 Germany Alvarez played 90 mins, picked up a yellow card

He may as well add that to his last name at this point.
  • May as well just give it in the dressing room before the match kicks off to save time.
  • Phillips shouldnt be anywhere near an England team. He was, at his best, not that good and he's a lot below that now. Midfield three should = Rice Bellingham and TAA. The latter is just as good defensively (when hes not at RB!) and infinitely better from a passing/attacking perspective.

I even sort of understand Maguire being in the squad as Southgate trusts him/his experience. But Phillips is just not international standard and thats being polite
  • It’s funny. I was going through the squad earlier thinking who I’d want to be in there, and I think I would take Phillips to the Euros. I agree with that starting midfield, but if Rice got injured on game one, there really aren’t many holding midfield options apart from Phillips.
  • Ouch

Andy Robertson out for three months after colliding with Spain's goalkeeper and injuring his shoulder

Back up LB Konstantinos Tsimikas has only had 65 appearances in four seasons at Liverpool but might finally have an extended run in the side. Unless Klopp prefers Joe Gomez...
  • He would 100% have picked Tsimikas when both LB and RB were attacking. Now TAA has a different role and Robertson attacking play has been limited. Gomez I doubt has ever played LB so its hard to see him there unless Klopp wants to be utra defensive. My money is on Tsimikas
  • edited October 2023
    Gomez played LB at the start of 2015/16 season but got injured in October and was out until January 2017

Since then he's played LB a handful of times, the last was against Everton June 2020
  • Kalvin Phillips.

That is all.