EURO 2024 Qualifier’s

Comments

• Well he’s come much closer to winning a World Cup or a Euros than any manager since Ramsey. We came to within a penalty shoot out to winning a tournament.
    I agree with you to an extent about picking players on form but his record speaks for itself.
  • edited October 2023
    Slacker said:

Well he’s come much closer to winning a World Cup or a Euros than any manager since Ramsey. We came to within a penalty shoot out to winning a tournament.
    I agree with you to an extent about picking players on form but his record speaks for itself.

So what you're sort of saying is basically he's a nearly man, I totally agree, good but not good enough to make it happen.....Very much close but no cigar......
  • I think people forget how desperately poor we were before he came in. People say the squad is great, and yeah it is, but look how mismanaged the ‘golden generation’ were in the 2000s. If the only measure of success is winning trophies then I’m afraid you’re going to be disappointed more often than not.

Also, you say his “lies”. I’m pretty sure he also said that he wanted to create a “club feel” at England camps, which you can’t do by chopping and changing chunks of the squad whenever someone new hits form.

Do I agree with all of his selections? No. But the idea that he should be booted out because he called up a few players he trusts that people don’t agree with is, IMO, very over the top.
  • edited October 2023
    Fair enough, but he is a good manager, but not at the calibre to win anything, and yeh, it would be lovely to do so but isn't the end of the world.
    He lied by saying he would pick players in form, he doesn't, that's a lie....IMO
    But hey, we stuck with the walking waistcoat, and that makes me not so excited to watch England.....Even though I like to......
  • I don’t get how he isn’t at the calibre to win anything when he was a few penalties away from the Euros, but agree to disagree I guess.
  • alderz said:

I don’t get how he isn’t at the calibre to win anything when he was a few penalties away from the Euros, but agree to disagree I guess.

Yeh, some would argue home bonus we should have not let it go to the penalty shoot out to start with, but yeh, happy to agree to disagree ...
  • We have arguably as good a no9 as there is in Kane. Bellinghams stock seems to rise weekly. The biggest problem is fitting the likes of Saka, Foden, Rashford, Sterling, Maddison, Bowen, Rice, Grealish Watkins etc in the mid and forward slots to enable us to outscore everyone. (just a question of time before Lewis gets into the squad?) I say this because our weakest area is centre back.

We have James at RB or RWB competing with TAA, Walker and Tripper. Left side isnt as strong but Chilwell and Trippier can cover there. Stomes is our obvious class defender but I wonder on who the right partner is. Geuhi and aa couple of other youngsters seem at the moment to have potential. I also like Dunk. But unless Maguire makes some miraculous form recovery he's basically stoping progress in our weakest position. I also dont like the goalkeeper but I think thats personal as hes not that bad.

My point (eventually) is that we need to play to our obvious strengths and, for me, Southgate is not an attacking manager who has a wealth of attacking players at his disposal
  • Personally I think Southgate is our best option, unless Pep becomes available……….
  • I'd take more notice of this if the writer knew his omissions from his admissions. 😉
  • edited October 2023
    All the games where we have players (GMT)

Paqueta, Kehrer and Cornet weren't called up,

U21 Callum Marshall has been called up for N Ireland, won his first full cap against Denmark in June, came on with 5 minutes left, scored in injury time but disallowed by VAR.

Thursday
    Romania U20 v England U20 4pm
    Albania v Czechia 7:45pm
    Algeria v Cape Verde 8pm
    Grenada v Jamaica midnight

Friday
    Ireland v Greece 7:45pm
    Netherland v France 7:45pm
    England v Australia 7:45pm

Saturday
    N Ireland v San Marino 2pm

Sunday
    Mexico v Ghana 1:30am
    Czechia v Faroe Islands 5:30]m
    Ivory Coast v Morocco 6pm

Monday
    Haiti v Jamaica 1am
    Algeria v Egypt 5:30pm
    Greece v Netherlands 7:45pm

Tuesday
    England U20 v Portugal U20 7pm
    England v Italy 7:45pm
    N Ireland v Slovenia 7:45 pm
    Morocco v Liberia 8pm
    France v Scotland 8pm

Wednesday
    Mexico v Germany 1am
    USA v Ghana 8:30pm
  • And we're off

Romania U20s were 2-0 up against England U20s after 16 minutes, Divin Mubama came on after an hour but the score stayed the same
  • Albania 3-0 Czechia, Slavia Prague CF Mojmír Chyti got a second yellow after 39 minutes, Coufal picked up a yellow, both him and Soucek played the full 90 mins

Algeria 5-1 Cape Verde, Benrahma came on after 73 mins

Antonio was missing for Grenada game - Jamaica won 4-1 - and Jamaica only had seven subs
  • Antonio has been missing for a while 😬
  • Ireland 0-2 Greece, Mavropanos played the full 90 mins

Netherlands 1-2 France, Areola kept the bench warm

England 1-0 Australia, Bowen played 90 mins, did well by all accounts, no idea as I was working
  • I had the match on rather than properly watching it, but from what I saw Bowen was lively, a few give and goes and balls across or into the box. A pretty decent performance from what I caught.
  • Michail Antonio has called Gareth Southgate's failure to call up James Ward-Prowse for England duty during this round of international ties "embarrassing"
  • I do find it embarrassing that Antonio goes on this podcast and shows himself up on a regular basis.
  • IronHerb said:

I do find it embarrassing that Antonio goes on this podcast and shows himself up on a regular basis.

But this time he has a point… about time 👍🏻
  • edited October 2023
    IronHerb said:

I do find it embarrassing that Antonio goes on this podcast and shows himself up on a regular basis.

Really?

Why are you embarrassed that somebody you don't know is expressing his opinions in public.

That's what everybody else here is doing =)

Or do you think that any of us expressing opinions you don't share are showing ourselves up O.o

Lots of people listening to that podcast will agree with him...
  • edited October 2023
    I think Southgate rubbed salt into the wounds by taking and playing Henderson, Who by going to Saudi is virtually acknowledging he is heading into retirement, and the match was also a perfect game to get a look at players like Ward Prowse.
  • edited October 2023
    MrsGrey said:

Really?

Why are you embarrassed that somebody you don't know is expressing his opinions in public.

In this case what he said has merit, but most of the time he spouts a load of rubbish (imo obviously) that does the club no good whatsoever. A lot of us take offence at some of what Sullivan or Brady says, so I think it's reasonable to be annoyed or embarrassed by a lot of what Antonio says.

• edited October 2023
    I guess it depends on where you come at this from.

For me, any player giving opinions on general football stuff - I don't think it reflects in any way on his employers (ie the club he plays for)
    So for me, he can say what he likes, ascan Callum Wilson. Or any of the players who get to do media gigs during tournaments...

Often I think their comments are risible. But I judge them only as reflecting on their own judgement. So that's why it doesn't bother me :+1:
  • N Ireland 2-0 San Marino. Callum Marshall came on for the last half hour, had a couple of shots but didn't score

Mexico 2-0 Ghana, Kudus played the full 90 mins, Alvarez subbed off after 73 mins
  • MrsGrey said:

IronHerb said:

Really?

That's what everybody else here is doing =)

Or do you think that any of us expressing opinions you don't share are showing ourselves up O.o

Lots of people listening to that podcast will agree with him...
    We’re expressing into a small group, Antonio to the world. I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone on here saying we’re going to take Liverpool this season or that they have a practised dance for when we score against the Toon. If so I would. I don’t like someone who represents West Ham making crass statements. We on here are not in that position.
  • I'm not knocking him and at the end of the day its up to him what he does or doesnt say. He's in a privilged position job/money wise and nearing the end of his career so he probably thinks there's little chance of anything negative happening (that he cant handle) if he says what he wants. With that in mind, if you're speaking and knowing many people will listen/get to hear about your comments, then I doubt the listeners want to listen to anything boring and there's most likely a tendency to say things that will get a reaction. Or, in one word, 'bants'
  • Czechia 1-0 Faroe Islands. Soucek 76 min penalty, Coufal was an unused sub. Both seem to have come through the international break without injury

Ivory Coast 1 - 1 Morocco Aguerd played 90 mins

Haiti 2 - 3 Jamaica Antonio came off just before the end, got assists for the first two goals. Didn't look injured when he walked off so fingers crossed
  • MrsGrey said:

I guess it depends on where you come at this from.

For me, any player giving opinions on general football stuff - I don't think it reflects in any way on his employers (ie the club he plays for)
    So for me, he can say what he likes, ascan Callum Wilson. Or any of the players who get to do media gigs during tournaments...

Often I think their comments are risible. But I judge them only as reflecting on their own judgement. So that's why it doesn't bother me :+1:

I agree that it doesn't reflect on the club in any way. However, some of the things he has said in the past year have had potential other impacts. He obviously spoke very plainly about Scamacca not being suitable for the manager, which may be fair but wasn't a necessary thing to say at all. He has also rubbed a couple of opponents up the wrong way with comments - I don't know why he wants to say anything that might give an opponent an extra desire to get one over on him when they play us.

The other thing about that podcast, for me, is that there are obviously two of them hosting it, but the highlights the BBC put on the website are ALWAYS Antonio saying something outrageous. Wilson seems to poke Antonio and then he's happy to be the mouthy one. I just am not a fan of it, personally.
  • Egypt 1-1 Algeria Benrahma subbed after 63 mints
    Greece 0-1 Netherlands Mavropanos played the full 90 mins

No reports of injury to either
  • Seems that Benrahma was unhappy at getting subbed - not an unusual response from him - and the Algerian manager Djamel Belmadi grabbed Benny by the shirt when he didn't shake his hand as he left the pitch

Benrahama and Belmadi don't seem to have a good relationship and Benrahma isn't the only Algerian player to have problems with the manager