Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• Aslef, aren't those formations pretty much what all the other PL teams use?

• I think when Moyes agreed to come back he insisted that Sullivan & Co button their lips and leave him to do the talking. Once Moyes is gone Sullivan will once again be free to share his wit and wisdom with the world

I was thinking this too.
  • I don't think Sullivan is listening to supporters as he wouldn't be employing this guy if he was as I can find little or no enthusiasm for his appointment. We have not quite taken to the streets as Milan supporters did however.

He does seem to be a Sullivan type appointment but it must be said that so was Moyes on his second stint and I know most supporters felt his return was an appointment lacking all ambition. Pellegrini was the ambitious appointment and that failed miserably.

He wouldn't have been my choice but he has his chance now and we can only get behind him.
  • It is amazing that Milan and Bayern had a chat with him yet a number of West Ham fans don't think he's good enough for us.
  • I have a few questions about Lopetegui.

First, will he get enough funds over the next few windows to satisfy him? He left Wolves after all due to a limited budget.

I am hoping, this has already been discussed and agreed.

Second, will he bring more exciting football?
    His stats may say he likes possession, but this doesn't always mean exciting. I want some excitement back.

Third, can he attract the players we need? After all our squad is ageing, lacks depth and some players will be leaving.

He has managed at the highest level, so I assume he can do this.

All very obvious questions, but if the answer ends up being yes to all of them I will be delighted.

Oh, and finally can he get us back into Europe and a chance of silverware?

The first three questions should be a yes as a given. The last one I am hoping for.
    I wish him the best.
  • edited May 7
    6 clubs and one nation, only lasted two years at one of them

Jul - Nov 2003
    Rayo Vallecano, 2nd tier, sacked after 10 matches

Jul 2008 - Jun 2009
    Castilla aka Real Madrid B 3rd tier, 6th

Aug 2010 - Apr 2014
    Spain U19, U20 and U21 coach, won UEFA 2012 U19 and 2013 U21 championships

Jul 2014 - Jan 2016
    Porto; First season 2nd, Champions League quarters, Cup semis, 2nd season sacked when they were 3rd and out of the Champions League

Jul 2016 - Jun 2018
    Spain. Qualified for 2018 World Cup, sacked before the first match after it was announced he had signed with Real Madrid

Jul - Oct 2018
    Real Madrid. Sacked after 14 matches

Jul 2019 - Oct 2022
    Sevilla. Finished 4th three season, won Europa League, sacked 4th season when they were 17th and had drawn 1, lost 2 in Champions League

Nov 2022 - Aug 2023
    Wolves. Took over when they were bottom, finished 13th. Quit due to lack of funds which allegedly he didn't know about when he joined
  • Seems to lack a great deal of integrity from his past record and also talking to the club and if true accepting the job knowing that Moyes was still in the job and hadn’t as far as we were aware said he was leaving.
    Looking more and more to me that Moyes decided he’d had enough and the underhand way all this had been done was the final straw.
  • So 2 x Age Group Euros, next club 2nd & 3rd, then World Cup Qualification, then failed, then 4th x 3 and Europa Cup and finally took club from the bottom of the league to 13th.
    All in all a solid CV.
  • I'd ignore youth stuff and national stuff. It's nothing like club and league football.

The Sevilla record is, for me, his main achievement.
    I'd need to look up a bit of context to judge if he did well or not, in the circs. But his European experience I think is a good thing.

Assuming he can get us into Europe....
  • Lets just stay in the prem for his first season ,with in coming players bedding in
  • If you take internationals into account even Southgate would look as if he was half decent.
  • steve said:

Lets just stay in the prem for his first season ,with in coming players bedding in

No. I can't accept that as a reasonable season.

Staying up = around 40 points.

We are therefore, in your scenario, looking at it being ok to lose every single away game. And getting points from our home games that are ..

Winning 13, losing 6.

I know that's a rough scenario but seriously, is anyone ok with us losing 25 games????
  • You want to go from being a top half team, with European football, to scraping through a season to stay up?

• I think that realistically we are facing a transition season that is going to be tough, whoever is in the seat, what I want to see is evidence of progress on the pitch with the bedding in of a few new faces and some semblance that the team are playing for each other with a spring in their step.

We clearly need to stay clear of the relegation dogfight but I am not expecting much in the way of European potential, hopefully that will come as the team takes shape and gains confidence in the system.

Let’s give the new guy a chance, I certainly will,
  • I'd be OK with him doing a Bournemouth next season, finishing strongly and then pushing on in the season after.
    But, to be honest, he seems a bit flakey to me.
    Fingers crossed....
  • MrsGrey of course I don't want to go from being a top half team fighting the drop .However being a West Ham fan for most of my 65 years I have seen more lows then highs .As my wife keeps telling me you only see your wine glass half filled .would love it if we could push on next season .Guess the summer transfer season might give us a clue
  • I think that realistically we are facing a transition season that is going to be tough, whoever is in the seat, what I want to see is evidence of progress on the pitch with the bedding in of a few new faces and some semblance that the team are playing for each other with a spring in their step.

We clearly need to stay clear of the relegation dogfight but I am not expecting much in the way of European potential, hopefully that will come as the team takes shape and gains confidence in the system.

Let’s give the new guy a chance, I certainly will,

Unfortunately many won’t, managers are not given time to build a side in the cut throat modern game. So many people expect instant success.

• He isn't going to get European football with the squad he has, it needs overhauling which has been the case for a few years, which is probably the only fortunate thing for Moyes, similar to when Ferguson left Man U. Too many parts need replacing because there has been no future planning other than to extend championship level players who are mid 30s by a consecutive year to buy time that has now ran out.

If Moyes was moved on for another coach, the other coach has to be looking for a top 10 finish or considered a failure of a season (especially with no European football, transition season or not)
  • It could work out brilliantly well or it could be a very difficult season, we have a new manager who will have my support and I hope he does well. Some seem to think that some of the better players will leave and many of the rest are past it and we basically need an almost new squad. It takes time to build a team, we don’t want to end up like Man Utd or Forest with some good players but no team. I would prefer that we hang on to as many as possible and bring in four or five new players, and the same in the second season, and keep some stability.
  • The truth is we're probably never going to know for certain if this is the right decision or not. But each side we make it fit their narrative
    If we struggle or (God forbid) go down next season all those pundits will come out with their "Be careful what you wish for" sentiments regardless of the fact that our current form is relegation form.

Seems to lack a great deal of integrity from his past record and also talking to the club and if true accepting the job knowing that Moyes was still in the job and hadn’t as far as we were aware said he was leaving.
    Looking more and more to me that Moyes decided he’d had enough and the underhand way all this had been done was the final straw.

And as far as we are aware, we don’t know that Moyes hadn’t been told that we were going on a different direction. I find it difficult to believe that all this was being done behind his back.
    Don’t forget by his own admission a contract was in the table months ago and he decided not to sign presumably because he thought he could get a better deal by waiting. Unfortunately for him we then went into a massive slump and that deal went away.
    I really don’t buy into all this media frenzy about Moyes being disrespected. We didn’t sack him, he’s out of contract. The club had every right to start talking to other people as soon as he didn’t sign a new contract. We can’t wait until the end of the season before we start looking at new managers. For all we know Moyes was given an ultimatum. We’re going to start looking at other candidates but you’re still in the running if you can produce results. Unfortunately those results weren’t forthcoming. I don’t know if that’s what happened but I find it as plausible as all the other speculation going on.
  • Seems to lack a great deal of integrity from his past record and also talking to the club and if true accepting the job knowing that Moyes was still in the job and hadn’t as far as we were aware said he was leaving.

"Isn't that exactly what Moyes did when he took over from Bilic and Pellegrini?" They were both in jobs when they were sacked and Moyes was immediately announced.
  • I don’t get this speculation about how Moyes was treated. If we believe him he was offered a new contract earlier this year, he said he would think about it and make a decision at the end of the season. If we were in Europe next year I’m sure he would have stayed but when we went out of Europe followed by some league losses he made his mind up and said to Sullivan I’m leaving you need to start looking for my replacement, which Sullivan did.
  • I heard Moyes was going out for his Sunday newspaper to read with his breakfast and saw his job advertised in the newsagents window, that was the first he heard of it.

I keep hearing lots of rubbish about the club over this change of manager issue. We are clearly not meant to have aspiration. I think it was Merson? who said we should be grateful as he won us a cup, I wish they would stop about the cup and be a bit more objective, rather than see the shiny thing at the end of a set of results just look at the results. It simply was not that difficult and the only match we would have gone into other than hot favourites was the final. The Europa semi Final was a much bigger achievement, only knocked out by a team who were managed by the man who has made Palace look a completely different side recently.

I read someone spouting about Tim Steidten having stabbed Moyes in the back, if it's his job to oversee recruitment and is tasked to do so by the club then it's not personal. It's like stating a manager has stabbed his goalkeeper in the back if he signs someone else.

Moyes has been great, has given us some good days and should be held in the highest regard in West Ham history, but it's not a crime to imagine there are places we would like to at least try for and seeing an argument that he may not be the man to take us further.
  • MIA on neither occasion do I recall Moyes being interviewed and all the media speculation a month before they were sacked. Also do you know if he was sacked or did he just say I’ve had enough of this.
    It was him who banned Steidten from the dressing room because he was trying to get in a new manager whilst also seemingly trying to be one of the management team.
    If what we are led to believe ie that Moyes and the board would decide what will happen at the end of the season is true then unless he said he was going or they told him they would need to look for a replacement in the event of his leaving then what they did is tantamount to constructive dismissal.
    I think that Moyes has far more integrity and honesty than Steidten or the board.
    I will be interested to see if Nobes decides to stay because he was against Lopetigui and reputedly made that known.
  • I don't think Mr.West Ham will let a change of manager cause him to leave the club he loves.
    For a start, where would he go?
  • Constructive dismissal? He's got a couple of months left on his contract and didn't sign the contract he was offered. Therefore I think it's only right the club seek out other managers to replace Moyes.
    I wish to thank Moyes for what he's done as manager and wish all the best and really hope he gets a great send off in his last game at the London stadium.
  • Was it a case of Nobes not wanting him but pushing for Almorim? That’s fair but the guy either made his mind up about us quickly or vice versa. I doubt Nobes was massively against Lupetigui but preferred the other guy?

I’m very curious to know whether it’s all Tim regarding TFs now? Or we are going a certain way and he, the manager and Sullivan are on the same recruitment page… Theoretically

• I will be interested to see if Nobes decides to stay because he was against Lopetigui and reputedly made that known.

Amorim was the first choice (apparently) for Noble and Steidten but he wasn't interested in coming to us. We can't force someone to come to us. I can't see Nobes falling on his sword over this.
  • Not sure Nobes has a sword nor a real role. Steidten is often described as sports director with Lopetegui as head coach ie a continental set up.
    I thought Nobes was sports director.
  • Moyes will get a really good send off. For gokdness sake, we got a trophy!