Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• The last time we tried something like that we were relegated.
  • Does anyone think Moyes can deliver 5-6 wins from the next 13 games? Given the record over the last year, I can't see that. So changing manager is the only option.
  • Changing to who. What manager would want to come in this late in the season with a potential relegation on his cv.
  • Pengeman said:

Does anyone think Moyes can deliver 5-6 wins from the next 13 games? Given the record over the last year, I can't see that. So changing manager is the only option.

Nope. We're going down if keep it as it is.
  • steve said:

Would it really be to bad to replace Moyes with Noble until the end of the season ,He knows most of the players .give him some help and see where we are at the end of the season

Normally I would say no but I do perhaps think it could work. I think our problem is that Moyes has the idea we need do what we are doing but better, but I think we need be more attacking and look for goals, allow the team to be let off the lead a bit.

I think Noble could be the motivating force that makes a difference and gives them permission to play. I would rather a carefully planned appointment of a manager that looks a longer term solution, but failing that I think Noble and Nolan could be a reasonable gamble as both are leaders.
  • As much as I dont like him, Redknapp could come in alongside Mark to help him. I would so prefer that! Like him or not (and hes the epitome of football dodgy), Harry is West Ham as is Mark. I'd rather, if we went down, that those two brought us back up.
  • Noble has been "Sporting Director" for 63 days

Nolan managed Leyton Orient for 11 weeks and Notts County for 19 months. Both were in League Two and he was sacked from both.

Redknapp hasn't managed since September 2017

Brooking has said on numerous occasions that he has absolutely no interest in managing again
  • There’s always Big Daddy Sam available
  • I think Noble being in the job 60 odd days is irrelevant. Its his character and association with the club that'd count for something.

Same for Redknapp he's been associated with us forever and has more than enough smarts to manage and for the years of non management to be ignored. I'd wager he still eats and drinks football and doesnt like being away from the game
  • Bottom line is the board have completely dropped the ball on this one, IMO.

Had they pulled the trigger in November, after the Leicester game, then they had six weeks to get a replacement in, allowed them to embed their ideas and given them a transfer window to address any area of concern.

By letting it drag on, and giving Moyes life after life, there are now only 13 games left and in our position who is likely to take us on knowing it's likely to be a short-term thing? If the board had Moyes’s long-term successor in mind - someone who would take on the project irrespective of what league we're in (a Carrick or a Parker for example) - then fine, but I have zero confidence that they do.

So I think we're stuck with Moyes, irrespective of how many more games we lose. I think the board has basically been ambling towards the Championship with their eyes wide open for months, and are trusting wholly to luck that we'll somehow avoid it.

I've been Moyes Out since November. Probably earlier than that, to be honest, because the decline has been evident for longer than five months, but I've accepted that he'll be here for at least the rest of this season, because as far as I'm concerned our board is as useless as he has been this season.
  • We'll according to a reliable source on twitter, West Ham have no intention of sacking Moyes
    It really is incredible.
  • The board won’t sack him & I’d argue that is the right decision.

This is an example of modern football, where a manager does well for a period & then has a bad season or so & gets sacked. It will happen to Howe if Newcastle’s run continues. Then you repeat. Manager either does well, doesn’t, replaced.

Moyes is not a bad manager. In his two spells here, he’s saved us from relegation twice, only with half a season remaining on each occasion, & achieved 6th & 7th with a European semi-final. We have had some big results against excellent sides (Liverpool, City, Spurs, Sevilla, Lyon).

This season has been a shambles & we can only hope we get through it & stay up. The question is do we completely start again or do we allow Moyes a chance to rebuild.
  • edited March 2023
    Lukerz said:

The question is do we completely start again or do we allow Moyes a chance to rebuild.

Rebuild? But who else but him has built what we have now, this shambolic team? He has had many chances to rebuild, players that he wanted were bought, millions and millions spent - to what purpose? His operation mode is sitting back all game and hoping that we can get something on the counter. But we hardly ever get anything, we are not good enough for that. Players have lost confidence in themselves and in the way he makes them play. And it will be like that until he goes, or is forced to go. Moyes will be Moyes, I don't expect any sparks of genius from him. His past achievements are history. His teams play boring football; full stop. We need a fresh face and a new start as soon as possible. Because our team is visibly falling apart.
  • I just can't agree that the right thing is that he stays. We go down if he stays imo so what difference would it make if he's here or not except him going might lift the place a bit.
    Thing is many of us were saying he needed to go before the world cup but we ended up sticking with him as people believed we would turn it around. Well we haven't and we're running out of time but we're still expected to put up with him.
    And before there is a "who do we get then" comment, well its the boards fault for not acting sooner and there are people at the club being paid thousands of pounds to make these decisions, not some random guy on a forum.
  • I want Out, but ultimately doesn't make a difference, no other managers out there who I think can turn it around. I also don't think Moyes is going to turn it around either.

So with that said ultimately got to be In, and sack him when we get relegated and recruit a young manager like Burnley did with Kompany. No use bringing in Sean Dyche or any other manager to take us down with and hope they bring us back up, has to be done when we are officially relegated so the new manager doesn't have half a seasons games of a squad that will not be there next season.

• The past carries little credit. Leicester had to sack Ranieri after the won the EPL championship. Moyes, achievements of the last to seasons will matter little if we get relegated. Key players will be sold at knockdown prices and rebuilding will be difficult. There are so many former EPL teams languishing in the championship league and we will just be another statistics.

It is the need of the hour. If Benitez is keen, WHU should appoint him. If not give senior coaches and Noble a chance. U-18s are flying. Give Robson a chance.
  • Pengeman said:

If Benitez is keen, WHU should appoint him. If not give senior coaches and Noble a chance. U-18s are flying. Give Robson a chance.

Definite no to Benitez for me, another "past his best" manager imo.
  • Hamstew said:

I just can't agree that the right thing is that he stays. We go down if he stays imo so what difference would it make if he's here or not except him going might lift the place a bit.
    Thing is many of us were saying he needed to go before the world cup but we ended up sticking with him as people believed we would turn it around. Well we haven't and we're running out of time but we're still expected to put up with him.
    And before there is a "who do we get then" comment, well its the boards fault for not acting sooner and there are people at the club being paid thousands of pounds to make these decisions, not some random guy on a forum.

All comes back to succession planning. It's needed on the pitch and it's needed in the dugout. Which is why the board is as culpable as Moyes for our current situation, IMO, because I don't believe we have either.
  • Lots of folks suggesting Noble could step in but doesn’t he need his coaching badges to do that?
    Anyone know if he’s got them?
  • Gotta be Carrick 😜
    Boro are flying 🧣
  • You can't need Coaching badges slacker,don't tell me Lampard and Gerrard have them if they do must only take about an hour to get one ,Noble could have his by supper time =)
  • Slacker said:

Lots of folks suggesting Noble could step in but doesn’t he need his coaching badges to do that?
    Anyone know if he’s got them?

I think he could, but we would be fined for games that he managed without his licence. This has been spoken about recently as Will Still doesn’t have his badges but is manager of Reims in France.
  • edited March 2023
    steve said:

You can't need Coaching badges slacker,don't tell me Lampard and Gerrard have them if they do must only take about an hour to get one ,Noble could have his by supper time =)

Er…..
    https://www.claims.co.uk/knowledge-base/football-law/coaching-qualifications/

• Daily ⭐️ Sunday

Scott Parker 🌪️ has conceded his time in charge of Belgian side Club Brugge might be coming to a close after an embarrassing 3-0 defeat by relegation strugglers KV Oostende on Friday
  • We have currently less than a point a game

There were calls for him to be sacked before the WC

There were still calls in December..Now we are into March there are still calls

He doesn't know how to turn this around, hes arguably had 3 months longer than he should've been given

Now with 13 games remaining we are in a horrible position

If.we stay up, it will be because there are 3 teams worse than us, we haven't earnt anything this season

• If.we stay up, it will be because there are 3 teams worse than us, we haven't earnt anything this season

True but not true. The 3 worst teams go down every year so we will have earned our place.
  • edited March 2023

C&H, so taken with a pinch of salt, but if this a genuine view of the board, it's interesting that cost seems to be main prohibitor rather than a genuine belief that Moyes will turn it around.

If they know the alternatives are expensive, they must have been asking around, which suggests that confidence in Moyes isn't as high as is being made out.

As always with Sullivan, I suspect it's all about the money.
  • The team were running on empty. Lol what a load of trash.
  • Always amazes me that you’re not prepared to spend money on the most important piece of recruitment at the club. Happily spend £10m on Kehrer, though.
  • edited March 2023
    Let’s be honest, we’re having a very similar season to Leicester. Two sides with, apparent, good squads on paper, both struggling to consistently get results. I’m sure Leicester fans would’ve swapped a rout at Brighton over a loss to Southampton.

It can happen, good squads & good managers put through a tortuous season where everything seems to go wrong.

Personally, I don’t think the signings we made were very good. Paqueta, Scamacca, Cornet, Aguerd, Emerson, Kehrer, Areola have basically offered very little. 2 goals for Paqueta, no games since October for Cornet, Aguerd injured most the season…the best one has been Scamacca.