Southampton v West Ham United. FA Cup 5th Round, Wednesday 2nd March, 7:30pm. BBC iPlayer.

1234568»

Comments

• Sounds to me like Moyes is getting a free ride here

He has said he's in charge and was backed, various ITK (who are actually ITK) have said moyes is in charge and its him and his team who have made the calls

He wanted Lingard and didn't get him, that's still on him for not identifying an alternative because if United weren't going to sell him then how can the board be blamed that Moyes has an impossible target

I disagree. The pattern of the January window is Sullivan to a tee (third time its happened with us under his stewardship). Anyway you clearly don't rate Moyes and this is way off topic so we may as well leave it there.

I do rate Moyes and always have but he's not above criticism

Have I said I want him sacked? Have I said this is a bad season?
  • Just catching up for the morning.

It's clear everyone should be able to moan, celebrate and share views as what else is the point of a forum? we have the official club site for factual news.

As for the match I think the player that changed it was Broga. He got the penalty and scored the third, he is turning into a top notch out and out striker, which is exactly what we need.

On to Sevilla now (once Liverpool is out the way) and I have not been as excited about a game in a long while.

• edited March 2022
    There seems to be a bit of a thing on here and West Ham social media generally whereby if you criticise Moyes it means you want him sacked.

It is possible to think that he's done a great job whilst also thinking he has made mistakes. That's where a lot of us are. Doesn't mean we want him out, or are ungrateful for what we've achieved under him; it just means that we think he, like anyone, makes mistakes and those mistakes can be discussed.
  • Reading through this thread after the game last night was about as depressing as when the tories won the election.
    The sniping and general gloom was unreal.
    We lost to a team on a roll, a premier league team, it was a pretty even game and 3-1 was very flattering to Southampton.
    Yeah there’s reasons that we lost, of course there are, and it’s yet another year without a Wembley visit but I just find it a bit odd that the whinging and moaning gathers such momentum so early in games.
    Just watch, if we go to Liverpool at the w/e and play well and come away with a point or a win we’ll suddenly be world beaters. We’re not and we’re not rubbish either.

• Slacker, I don't know if I agree with you or not. I think people have a right to criticise and I think there are things to criticise. At the end of the day, we wouldn't have much to talk about if we were silent after games. I don't think all of the criticism has been as harsh as you made out.

But I generally do think people are very quick to get on a player/the team's back. In the stadium, in particular, I find support is very conditional. A few bad touches and everyone's groaning. Not much done to just try and lift the team.
  • Slacker, In an ideal world we would have nothing to complain about but as a West Ham supporter I suppose I should be used to having my dreams fade on a regular basis. What I find disappointing is that we had a chance to replicate or even better last season but for whatever reason we have not done anything to give us a better chance of achieving that. Yes it’s a dig from me again about the last transfer window. I am happy to be proved wrong but I can’t see this season ending the way many of us hoped it would.
  • Tbh Outcast that doesn’t happen at away games. I’ve only witnessed it once , it was away to Liverpool under Curbishley and it looked the whole team couldn’t wait to get off the pitch after about ten minutes. They were quite rightly booed off at the end.
  • edited March 2022
    Slacker said:

Reading through this thread after the game last night was about as depressing as when the tories won the election.
    The sniping and general gloom was unreal.
    We lost to a team on a roll, a premier league team, it was a pretty even game and 3-1 was very flattering to Southampton.
    Yeah there’s reasons that we lost, of course there are, and it’s yet another year without a Wembley visit but I just find it a bit odd that the whinging and moaning gathers such momentum so early in games.
    Just watch, if we go to Liverpool at the w/e and play well and come away with a point or a win we’ll suddenly be world beaters. We’re not and we’re not rubbish either.

Because, in the moment, people are depressed. Ultimately, we all want to the club to win a trophy; some on here have been lucky enough to experience that, but many, including myself, haven't. Last night was a good opportunity to get a step closer. Realistically we weren't going to win it anyway with Liverpool, City and Chelsea still in, but a trip to Wembley wouldn't have been out of the question with a good draw. And yes, Southampton are a decent team in good PL form, but they made 9 changes from that PL team. Barring Cresswell and Fabianski we had our starting PL eleven out there. I don't think expecting a win, or at least a better performance, was particularly unrealistic.

The reason I think people 'go early' is because certain things have become quite predictable. Soucek has been out of form pretty much all season, so when he misplaces every pass in the first 10 minutes people think 'here we go again'. Not saying it's right, but it's an understandable reaction. Same when you see Antonio struggle to control the ball in games; some get disheartened quite quickly because we keep seeing the same things happen each game knowing there's no viable alternative.

On your final point, I don't think many will claim we're world beaters if we beat Liverpool. There'll be a few tongue-in-cheek posts of 'we're massive', or 'we're winning it all', but generally there'll be surprise and delight, but nothing more than that.

It's admirable that you and others can stay more emotionally stable after each game; I do envy it. I've tried, but I can't do it. If I'm not happy about a performance, or want to have a moan or a gripe then at least on here I feel somewhat validated (by some). I've tried talking it through with my 3-year-old but if it ain't Go Jetters, he ain't interested.
  • OCS, I have tried to be more philosophical when we lose & do manage to do that on the odd occasion.
    Apologies to those who think otherwise but I am past the level of judging our season on whether we beat Tottenham or not, it's what we have to show at the end of the season that is more relevant to me now. Our wins v Chelsea and Liverpool will matter little if we finish Eighth or below as it could have been better as my expectations have been raised. David Moyes is reported to have criticised the players after last nights performance but he is playing players who need a rest, but he has no options, so he will continue to flog them until they break as there are no realistic alternatives or he thinks there aren't.
  • Yep completely agree. I come on here and have the odd gripe and moan and because I really don't have anyone else to discuss west ham with and it makes me feel a bit better. My 9 year old will but he'll usually back up and argument with a FIFA player rating so not quite the same.
    I had no idea it was that bad on here but guess it's annoying for some though so I think personally I'll just stop it all together on here, it's no biggy.
    Maybe I'll just PM you OCS when I want a winge lol.
  • Moaning or otherwise all the talk on here during and after a game is no more than we’d all say to the guy sitting/standing next to us in the stadium each and every time something happens. It’s a natural thing unless you don’t care one way or another.
    I’ve been lucky enough to see us in 4 FA Cup finals with 3 wins and a defeat. They were all highs in an otherwise normally dry 70 years as a fan. I’m more used to being excited when we pull off a relegation escape than being disappointed when we fluff opportunities to win or come close to winning something so the past two seasons have been fairly calm during the week but on match days the passion is there and so one of joy or despair is going to happen.
  • Hamstew, We need a differing set of views posted on here otherwise I'll think I am the only one he feels things aren't as they should be & they will have to up my medication! =)
  • Hamstew said:

Maybe we could have a post match mumblings/concerns thread after each game then those who are that bothered by any negativity can choose to ignore it.

That's the reason I started the post-transfer window thread. I know not everyone sees the need for complaining about what happened (or didn't happen), so it was basically for those that did.

We shouldn't have to have a separate thread for match day gripes though; they're all valid opinions and it would be a boring forum if every match thread consisted of:

"Antonio's playing well."

"Yep."

Like you Ham, I come here for chat about West ham that I don't get elsewhere. It's a safe place to vent and debate and I hope people will continue to use it for that. I know some posters have been driven away by interactions on here and I wouldn't want to see it happen to anyone else.
  • I guess my overarching point is that in my opinion Moyes is our best manager in 40 years and the job he has done since he took over has been nothing short of a miracle. Of course I'm disappointed to go out of the cup and see another trophy slip by but on another day we would have been 3-0 up after half an hour. Plus we have a European game on Thursday the like of which we haven't seen since before I was born. And the reason we are going there is mainly down to the manager.
  • horsham, Moyes or Lyall?
  • David Moyes is reported to have criticised the players after last nights performance but he is playing players who need a rest, but he has no options, so he will continue to flog them until they break as there are no realistic alternatives or he thinks there aren't.

Yeah, just seen the post-match interview on the OS. Called out Dawson for his role in the second, and said there wasn't enough quality from the front three.

I respect his honesty (although I'm not a big fan of a manager publicly criticising his players), but he has to take some of the responsibility. Bowen, Soucek and Antonio have played so many minutes and all are probably suffering because of it. He's playing them into the ground but did absolutely nothing in January to help them.

Yes, the players need to improve, but there are so few options to change things if they don't. And that is absolutely not the players' fault.
  • edited March 2022
    Having had a chance to reflect, we lost that game because we were a bit like the West Ham of old; flimsy. We can bang on about Lingard, Moyes, transfers, Benrahma, Vlasic, Soucek, strikers, depth etc but the reality is we lost because we were flimsy & indecisive. From the powderpuff first half shots from Soucek, to the hesitancy from Dawson. We let in some very poor goals that this new West Ham doesn’t normally concede. We were indecisive in attack despite some good pressing & passages of play (especially from Fornals) & we were indecisive in defence. I’d rather not focus on players we don’t have & talk about the ones we do. Let’s not keep giving them a get-out by saying ‘it’s the depth, they’re tired’. Individual errors & indecisiveness lost us the game yesterday. We had chances, we had openings, we were hesitant & poor in decision making. We gave away sloppy, easy goals.
  • Antonio, unfortunately, is guilty of many of those poor decisions.
  • home to city tasty draw not easy for citeh