Southampton v West Ham United. FA Cup 5th Round, Wednesday 2nd March, 7:30pm. BBC iPlayer.

Comments

• edited March 2022
    OCS, I've got a bullseye with someone that we finish above Spuds ( out of bravado) I'm beginning to regret it.
  • We have Fornals playing as a wing back but our squad depth is absolutely fine.
  • Why oh why are a couple of the youngsters not getting any minutes?
  • Also, CB should have come off for Vlasic, not Fornals. Stick Fornals as a LB. No need for all those CBs plus Johnson when 2-1 down.
  • Not to worry. Two games to play in the EL then that’s over and we don’t need to worry about it.
  • Zouma
    Vlasic
    Kral
    Arreola

Moyes has to take blame for this summer, 3 of those above have been shocking transfers

Too often we look at what Moyes didn't do in the transfer windows, but we also need to acknowledge that what he did do wasn't great either. Four first team signings and he doesn't trust three of them to be regular starters. Throw in Benrahma from the previous summer and you have to begin to question his judgement on the transfer front.
  • edited March 2022

Why oh why are a couple of the youngsters not getting any minutes?

Can’t even blame Fredericks or Yarmelenko tonight, all down to Moyes and his decisions…
  • Personally, that was another advert as to why VAR needs to go other than to determine offsides. The pen was always going to be given when you see it back & Dawson was poor, but he’s clearly waiting to initiate contact instead of shoot & for me that is basically cheating. Ref was right first time but VAR gets involved as usual.
  • Zouma
    Vlasic
    Kral
    Arreola

Moyes has to take blame for this summer, 3 of those above have been shocking transfers

Too often we look at what Moyes didn't do in the transfer windows, but we also need to acknowledge that what he did do wasn't great either. Four first team signings and he doesn't trust three of them to be regular starters. Throw in Benrahma from the previous summer and you have to begin to question his judgement on the transfer front.
    Let's sack him. What do you think?
  • edited March 2022

Happy days

Moyes takes plaudits when he does it right but he has to take blame when it's wrong

Hasn't changed the formation today depsute Southampton being all over us, got the sumer window SOOO wrong and decided not to invest in Jan (how is Diop having to fill in LB?)

Loved this season but this is hurting, it's the hope that kills you

Just sad to see our season dying out

I think he did change the formation twice and it didn't work.

One when Soucek came off and he brought on Benrahma. Putting Lanzini into CM is almost like a change in formation.

Then he definitely changed it when Vlasic came on. You see Rice holding three fingers up when he speaks to Vlasic. It went from a 5 to a 3 at the back with the wide two much higher up.

Our squad depth is bad and Moyes isn't currently able to get the extra bit out of players that he was getting before.
  • I try to take losing in good grace but the way Borja has done for us in the last two games has really angered me. He got a penalty at the LS when it should have been a free kick, today as Lukerz said he looked for the foul after committing one himself and to cap it all he does down as if he has been poleaxed when challenged by Johnson. The wordle fans can think of a five letter word beginning with “C” that sums him up.
  • Thought we didn’t get the final pass right tonight. Bowen was poor, and we missed Cresswell’s crossing as we couldn’t get a goal by passing through them.

Does Kral even sit on bench now? He could sneak away as nobody would look for him. Even when Soucek gets injured he doesn’t get a look in!

At least we will get a couple of weekends off now.

….and Keown’s commentating was pants as usual. - “Southampton beat an in-form West Ham team”, and other gems. 🤦‍♂️
    ⚒ COYI⚒
  • I try to take losing in good grace but the way Borja has done for us in the last two games has really angered me. He got a penalty at the LS when it should have been a free kick, today as Lukerz said he looked for the foul after committing one himself and to cap it all he does down as if he has been poleaxed when challenged by Johnson. The wordle fans can think of a five letter word beginning with “C” that sums him up.

• The commentator on my stream kept saying how we were favourites to get 4th place saying that we would pip ManU to 4th. No mention of Arsenal or Spurs. Not sure where they're finding these people.
  • ScotHammer, Which weekend’s do we get off as both the teams we are due to play on March 20 & April 16 are out of the FA Cup as well.
  • Zouma
    Vlasic
    Kral
    Arreola

I'm not suggesting that at all. But the man has to be open to fair criticism. His signings have been hit and miss at best. Soucek, Bowen and Coufal have been hits, although the Czech's form has taken a big dip this season. Zouma has been a very good signing, and Dawson has been better than expected, but Benrahma, Vlasic, Kral and Areola have all struggled.
  • Moyes isn't brave enough

The club has had out of form players for months and we are lacking for ideas yet no youth players have had a look in

The only reason Johnson is even playing is because Coufal going under the knife after being poor all season

What does Soucek need to do to get dropped?

How many times are we going to bring off Vlasic (or Yarmolenko)from the bench even though he's shown consistently he isn't a game changer?

Why even buy Kral? And why not try to replace him in Jan, Moyes kind has obviously been made up on him

Why not throw on Perkins, Chesters, Oxo-Flex etc. Maybe they aren't that good but they will probably try and make something happen

Or why not give Alese or Baptiste a go, how many goals have we conceded this year because of individual errors of Dawson or Diop

Moyes has done so much for us but his limitations are all to see

As I said, it's sad as I think we have the best CM in world football, someone to build around as well as Bowen and Zouma, two genuinely class players but the team is regressing

Getting worried for when Rice leaves this summer
  • Yeah Rice certainly isn’t going to be interested in maybe making a quarter final at best and finishing 6th
  • Zouma
    Vlasic
    Kral
    Arreola

I'm not suggesting that at all. But the man has to be open to fair criticism. His signings have been hit and miss at best. Soucek, Bowen and Coufal have been hits, although the Czech's form has taken a big dip this season. Zouma has been a very good signing, and Dawson has been better than expected, but Benrahma, Vlasic, Kral and Areola have all struggled.
    Every manager in the history of football has some signings that work out and some that don't.
  • Lukerz said:

Yeah Rice certainly isn’t going to be interested in maybe making a quarter final at best and finishing 6th

Tbf even if we did get top 4 I think he'd leave, he is just a couple levels above us

Losing faith Moyes is proactive enough to sign someone to replace him even if we get £100mil plus
  • Moyes has done so much for us but his limitations are all to see

5th in the league and in the last 16 in Europa? I'll take those limitations.

• Champo 👍 That's a good point on Kral. Moyes clearly doesn't rate him, but nor was there any effort to bring in someone else (I'm ignoring the phantom Phillips bid in January). If he can't get on the pitch even when Soucek is injured then there's literally no point in having him here. Just give his place on the bench to Ekwah for first team experience. Or a training cone.

I'm also bit concerned that both Coufal and Masuaku were carrying injuries going into January, which have now ruled them out, but again nothing was done in terms of cover. The lack of depth has left the first team horribly exposed and it showed again tonight.
  • ScotHammer, Which weekend’s do we get off as both the teams we are due to play on March 20 & April 16 are out of the FA Cup as well.

I should have said have a rest, less games crammed in,etc, rather than weekends off. Just trying to find a positive side!
  • Moyes has done so much for us but his limitations are all to see

5th in the league and in the last 16 in Europa? I'll take those limitations.

So will I , but that's because we are historically a mid-to-low table prem club, and Moyes limitations apply to a team like us which which is why he has never made it at a genuinely big club and will never....and it's why Rice will leave us this summer because that's our mentality and he's above this level, and once he goes I expect us to revert to type

And yes I'm delighted we are into the last 16 of the cup as it is going to be very hard to make the Europa next season
  • Oh well out of the cup again, never mind at least we’ve still got stuff to play for.
    Oh no apparently we’re doomed to lose out on everything now.

Unbelievable.
  • Zouma
    Vlasic
    Kral
    Arreola

Every manager in the history of football has some signings that work out and some that don't.
    Of course they do. But a club like ours with relatively limited resources have to get considerably more right than wrong, otherwise you're creating more problems down the line.

Straight question then; are you honestly happy with Moyes' business in the last two windows?
  • Slacker said:

Oh well out of the cup again, never mind at least we’ve still got stuff to play for.

Unbelievable.

Why is it unbelievable? You know what happens on here when we lose. Some voice their frustrations and concerns, others question why people feel that way. It's the same dance every time.

The fact is we're out of two competitions and in all reality won't go much further in Europe. It's going to take a big effort, and some luck, to finish in the European places this season and that would be a disappointing result given where we were in January with the opportunity to strengthen and consolidate.

I'm delighted we're still 5th and fighting, but we weren't very good again tonight and people are allowed to be disappointed with that.
  • I didn’t think there was a lot in the game, genuinely. A screamer (which I was disappointed with Areola), a penalty & a last minute goal when we were chasing/tired. It was an even game that could have gone either way & we would have been the beneficiaries had we taken more care in our approach play. We had the clearest chances but didn’t convert, our decision making was poor with the final pass & we didn’t have much to bring on.
  • Just a note on Andre Mariner, too.

Stopped the game immediately when Broja copped a ball in the face (we had possession) but let's Southampton attack having watchedSoucek whacked in the face with a stray elbow.
  • Slacker said:

Oh well out of the cup again, never mind at least we’ve still got stuff to play for.

Unbelievable.

Why is it unbelievable? You know what happens on here when we lose. Some voice their frustrations and concerns, others question why people feel that way. It's the same dance every time.

The fact is we're out of two competitions and in all reality won't go much further in Europe. It's going to take a big effort, and some luck, to finish in the European places this season and that would be a disappointing result given where we were in January with the opportunity to strengthen and consolidate.

I'm delighted we're still 5th and fighting, but we weren't very good again tonight and people are allowed to be disappointed with that.
    Last weekend we won ( narrowly) and people were fulsome in their praise, tonight we lost ( narrowly imo) and we’re rubbish again and the rest of the season will fall apart and Moyes is getting it all wrong.
    You’d be forgiven for thinking it was a Spurs forum.

And btw OCS you might want to be careful with your predictions, the old track record isn’t that great.😉