Southampton v West Ham United. FA Cup 5th Round, Wednesday 2nd March, 7:30pm. BBC iPlayer.

Comments

• I thought we looked good and were causing problems until they scored. I think a big part of the problem is clubs have worked us out and we are not allowed to counter as much as we used to be, hence Antonio looks out of form but half of it is clubs know just to not give him space in behind them to run into. I think Moyes lacks a plan B and the players to implement one. We have decent enough players on the bench in Benrhama and Vlasic but they fail to alter a game when coming on. That was near on 60m worth of subs this evening but it did nothing.

In my view give a few a rest at the weekend and make the match against Sevilla next week a cup final.
  • Yep the Sevilla game is more important than the Liverpool one for me to. We won't get anything out if that imo.
  • One question I have about Moyes' transfer strategy is his talk about wanting someone like Antonio. Actually, I think we need someone a bit different. Not so much that the system has to completely change but enough that he can still play when the other team forces a change.
  • People are now moaning about other people moaning. If people want to moan, let them moan in peace. It would be a boring place if everybody was positive all the time.
  • edited March 2022
    Don’t get all this about Moyes, he deserves loads of credit of course, we all know that, but why is he by some not allowed to receive any fair/ constructive criticism, we all make mistakes including him, if we can praise him when he’s done something worth praising, great, but he must also be able to receive slack when he’s not impressed.
    The same goes with players and the team in general….
    Slacker: it’s great you are so positive and always see the positive side of things but when he sometimes makes a bad call it’s only fair it should be pointed out, the same as the team IMO.
  • People are now moaning about other people moaning. If people want to moan, let them moan in peace. It would be a boring place if everybody was positive all the time.

Does that apply to people moaning about the reasons people are moaning....

• Straight question then; are you honestly happy with Moyes' business in the last two windows?

We clearly needed a striker in January. Moyes wanted Lingard. He didn't get him... whose fault is that is open to debate.

• Straight question then; are you honestly happy with Moyes' business in the last two windows?

We clearly needed a striker in January. Moyes wanted Lingard. He didn't get him... whose fault is that is open to debate.

So was that a yes or no to the question?

The blame lies more with the owners than Moyes in my opinion.
  • Don’t get all this about Moyes, he deserves loads of credit of course, we all know that, but why is he by some not allowed to receive any fair/ constructive criticism, we all make mistakes including him, if we can praise him when he’s done something worth praising, great, but he must also be able to receive slack when he’s not impressed.
    Slacker: it’s great you are so positive and always see the positive side of things but when he sometimes makes a bad call it’s only fair it should be pointed out, the same as the team IMO.

True of course, nobody is immune to criticism but what seems almost laughable to me is the reactions to losses and wins. One match we’re back on track and the next we’re rubbish and the manager needs to sort it out.
    Honestly I wouldn’t have expected that from West Ham fans, Spurs/ Man U yes, but not us.
    Maybe I’m too long in the tooth these days but I tend to look at the bigger picture rather than every individual match or even half way through the first half as some seem to do on here.
  • I think losing Soucek was the turning point I thought we were doing OK causing them problems both goals seem to come against the run of play but our forwards are not really firing at the moment and we did n't take our chances. I don't think Southampton looked better than us they just scored a worldie and got a pen then caught us at the end. Games go like that sometimes , Im looking forward to the Sevilla games and we are still having one of our best seasons in the last 40 odd years
  • We played our best available team and lost to a team below us in the league with 8 changes and with a much stronger bench, I think a moan is allowed. Yes we are doing well, but we are unable to kick on with our current squad depth. Finishing high in the league is how we recruit and keep players by doing well, that means staying in Europe. I hope we actually have saved our best for next week and get through vs a tough draw. I still fancy us to get a result.
  • I still think the performance was poor, mainly from an attacking sense, but i'm actually not that bothered about being knocked out as I don't believe there is any possibility we could win a cup whilst teams like Chelsea, Liverpool or City are in the later rounds still.
    I think our best bet of any success in the Europa League. I hope the lads are up for it but our squad depth could again be the issue here imo.
  • edited March 2022
    MrsGrey said:

People are now moaning about other people moaning. If people want to moan, let them moan in peace. It would be a boring place if everybody was positive all the time.

People are now moaning about people moaning.about people who moan on here. I think this is unfair, and am looking to blame Moyes, the players, GSB, and probably UEFA/FIFA as well.
    Sorted! ⚒️

The blame lies more with the owners than Moyes in my opinion.
    Sounds to me like Moyes is getting a free ride here

He has said he's in charge and was backed, various ITK (who are actually ITK) have said moyes is in charge and its him and his team who have made the calls

He wanted Lingard and didn't get him, that's still on him for not identifying an alternative because if United weren't going to sell him then how can the board be blamed that Moyes has an impossible target
  • Slacker said:

Don’t get all this about Moyes, he deserves loads of credit of course, we all know that, but why is he by some not allowed to receive any fair/ constructive criticism, we all make mistakes including him, if we can praise him when he’s done something worth praising, great, but he must also be able to receive slack when he’s not impressed.

True of course, nobody is immune to criticism but what seems almost laughable to me is the reactions to losses and wins. One match we’re back on track and the next we’re rubbish and the manager needs to sort it out.
    Honestly I wouldn’t have expected that from West Ham fans, Spurs/ Man U yes, but not us.
    Maybe I’m too long in the tooth these days but I tend to look at the bigger picture rather than every individual match or even half way through the first half as some seem to do on here.
    I understand your point, however what are we then supposed to comment on in each match thread???
    Pitch looks great?
    Like the ref’s kit?
    The away fans were great ( yeh, they were )…
    Ref’s having a nightmare performance…

But nothing to do with the performance?
    You get my point!!
  • edited March 2022
    Maybe we could have a post match mumblings/concerns thread after each game then those who are that bothered by any negativity can choose to ignore it.

• Sounds to me like Moyes is getting a free ride here

He has said he's in charge and was backed, various ITK (who are actually ITK) have said moyes is in charge and its him and his team who have made the calls

He wanted Lingard and didn't get him, that's still on him for not identifying an alternative because if United weren't going to sell him then how can the board be blamed that Moyes has an impossible target

I disagree. The pattern of the January window is Sullivan to a tee (third time its happened with us under his stewardship). Anyway you clearly don't rate Moyes and this is way off topic so we may as well leave it there.
  • I know Moyes has previously said stuff about it being on him on not signing a striker but I felt like this past window was different. In a couple of weeks ahead of the deadline he made very clear he wanted one and I felt like he was trying to hint that the owners needed to act.
  • Southampton are no mugs at home they are unbeaten in 12 they are a decent hard working team with some decent players . I agree our lack of recruitment in January is costing us and I think the summer window will be critical if we are to maintain being a top half team or not
  • Hamstew said:

Maybe we could have a post match mumblings/concerns thread after each game then those who are that bothered by any negativity can choose to ignore it.

How about “The knee jerk Thread”?
    Desperately needed I reckon.
  • Slacker said:

Hamstew said:

How about “The knee jerk Thread”?
    Desperately needed I reckon.
    Whoever creates it can call it what they like I guess.
  • Slacker said:

I understand your point, however what are we then supposed to comment on in each match thread???
    Pitch looks great?
    Like the ref’s kit?
    The away fans were great ( yeh, they were )…
    Ref’s having a nightmare performance…

But nothing to do with the performance?
    You get my point!!
    I’ve never really held back if we’ve performed badly ( Kidderminster was one) and likewise if we played great ( Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U) but what I don’t think I’ve done is start slagging off the team and individuals from about ten minutes in. A game is over 90 minutes and a season is 40 odd games.
    There’s constructive criticism and there’s negative chirping, there’s a difference.

• Woohoo Vlasic coming on

Best striker of the ball at the club apparantly

2 goals in 1400 minutes....

What a strange post. 🤔
  • MrsGrey said:

People are now moaning about other people moaning. If people want to moan, let them moan in peace. It would be a boring place if everybody was positive all the time.

Just moaning about moaning. I'm not moaning about people moaning or moaning in general. If I'm being honest, I can't be bothered to moan about anything hahaha
  • horsham, There is a story doing the rounds in the Portuguese press that IF we had offered another £8 million for Nunez we could have signed him but we didn't. That has the sound of a David Sullivan type of transfer deal IMHO.
  • And if we'd offered £20m for Lingered we would probably have got him too. If, what and maybe come to mind,
  • IronHerb, I still reckon Manchester United would have turned that down from us believing we are serious competition for them.
  • But we're obviously not, well according to lots on here.
  • They were probably concerned we would take the European Conference League position off them. =)