Hammers ⚒ v Peacocks 🦚 - FA Cup - Sunday 9th January, 2pm

edited January 2022 in Match Threads
Peacocks? Me neither.

So the Wombat derby in the FA Cup third round. Doesn’t get much better. Never has there been such a grudge match since, well, yesterday’s Hamstew derby.

Moyes is likely to rotate which worries me as it won’t leave a lot of options to include given our injuries & no Benrahma.

Outs:
Ogbonna’s knee
Zouma’s hamstring tendon
Benrahma’s presence in the UK

Doubtful:
Cresswell’s back

I’d go:

Areola
Fredericks - Dawson - Diop - Masuaku
Kral - Rice
Vlasic - Lanzini - Fornals
Bowen

Of course, a lot depends on whether Cresswell is available. If he is, I’d want him to get some minutes at LB.

Comments

• We really must smash them.
  • I would be surprised if they play full strength as they have a real relegation fight on their hands.
  • Peacocks is a new one to me
  • alderz said:

Peacocks is a new one to me

Got a bit of the Pro Evo about it
  • I read somewhere that was the name of 5he their original ground
  • Lukerz said:

Peacocks? Me neither.

Now we’re just picking nicknames based on the emoji’s available! Can’t wait for the “smiley face” derby.😂⚒
  • Epsom is right. Bentleys Breweries owned the stadium originally and it was named after the pub, which I think is still opposite the ground.
  • edited January 2022
    The Old Peacock, 251 Elland Rd, Beeston, Leeds LS11 8TU has been there since 1826 and the site opposite became known as The Old Peacock Ground.

At some point (1920s/30s??) The Old Peacock Ground became more commonly known as Elland Road

Leeds Woodville played there from 1902, in 1904 Woodville became Leeds City who were also nicknamed the Peacocks. After City's demise in 1919 Leeds Utd (formed out of City's reserve players) inherited the ground and the nickname,

City played in blue and yellow, United played in blue and yellow 1934 - 1960
  • Bentley's Brewery owned the pub and the land opposite, in 1878 they flattened the site to create a company sports field. It remained in private use until 1897 when Holbeck Rugby Club leased the site and began developing it into a proper stadium. Holbeck went bust in 1904

The current Old Peacock pub was built in 1963 behind the original pub which was then demolished.
  • edited January 2022
    The old Old Peacock

The new Old Peacock

• Quick question. I've got a couple of tickets for this game. How long do they take to be emailed to you? Seems like i should have them by now but only a confirmation email.
    Cheers.
  • You will probably get an electronic ticket email sent to you. Have you received an email instructing you to complete the Covid Declaration yet? Once that is filled in they will email the ticket, probably on Thursday or Friday.
    This is the process for ST holders and I would imagine it is the same for ticket buyers.
  • IronHerb said:

You will probably get an electronic ticket email sent to you. Have you received an email instructing you to complete the Covid Declaration yet? Once that is filled in they will email the ticket, probably on Thursday or Friday.
    This is the process for ST holders and I would imagine it is the same for ticket buyers.

Oh perfect thanks. Yeah I filled that out this Morning. Cheers Herb
  • Alves, Coventry and Odubeko recalled from their (not that successful) loan stints to boost the U-23 squad who have a game on Monday. It seems Moyes will probably give some of the senior U-23s (Ashby, Longleo. Baptiste, Alese, Okoflex) a chance against Leeds. However, I think Leeds will field a strong team as a win would boost their confidence for EPL games. We also need to win a trophy and so would expect Moyes to be pragmatic. Come on the Hammers!
  • Pengeman said:

Alves, Coventry and Odubeko recalled from their (not that successful) loan stints to boost the U-23 squad who have a game on Monday. It seems Moyes will probably give some of the senior U-23s (Ashby, Longleo. Baptiste, Alese, Okoflex) a chance against Leeds. However, I think Leeds will field a strong team as a win would boost their confidence for EPL games. We also need to win a trophy and so would expect Moyes to be pragmatic. Come on the Hammers!

I think it's Anang that's been recalled, not Alves
  • I think both Anang and Alves have been recalled.
  • This article on the OS is from 2 days ago and is about how he played, and that Anag, Coventry and Odubeko have been recalled, with no mention of him also being recalled.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2022/january/04-january/loan-watch-frederik-alves-features-sunderland-three-players

And this article from the Northern Echo is from yesterday, and says he's "likely" to be recalled, as they have signed a new CB and Alves has caught Covid.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/19826234.sunderland-shelved-talks-frederik-alves-following-positive-covid-test/

If he has already been recalled, I can't see anything anywhere about it (not saying he hasn't been, I just can't find anything)
  • Ex said yesterday that Alves should return in the next couple of days so not returned yet.
  • It's quite frustrating really. I can only really think of Diangana at West Brom as a successful loan in recent history. I think Trott is doing fairly well at Nancy (15 first team appearances, albeit in the French second tier), but most of our loans seem to go the way of those recalled this week; limited minutes and limited impact.

That may be the case for most clubs, but we seem to hype up these kids, myself included, only to see them struggle in the lower leagues.

Not to say they won't still make the grade, but it's hard to see how Odubeko and Coventry can break into our team if they can't get regular football in the Championship with Huddersfield and Peterborough. So what's next for them? Six months in the U23s? It's regular football, but a step down. Loans to League One? Again, they may get more pitch time but I can't see that it'll be too beneficial.
  • I think there's something a bit broken about the system of loaning to the Championship. There's a lot of money involved in the Championship now and a lot of pressure and I think teams get these young players in on loan just to fill out their squad but they will rarely risk playing them in case they make mistakes. Diangana was a very rare example and probably largely due to Bilic being manager.

I don't know what the alternative is but maybe it's to loan abroad.
  • I suppose there's a benefit in terms of them training regularly with the first team (ie men rather than boys). But I agree, it would be much better if they actually got match time.
  • I think there's something a bit broken about the system of loaning to the Championship. There's a lot of money involved in the Championship now and a lot of pressure and I think teams get these young players in on loan just to fill out their squad but they will rarely risk playing them in case they make mistakes. Diangana was a very rare example and probably largely due to Bilic being manager.

It's what the bigger clubs seem to do. That said, Mount had a great spell at Derby, so it is possible to succeed in this country.

It may just be that our U23s aren't actually that good. PL2 for a reason, maybe.
  • Maybe they're not that good but I'm not sure. I think playing and training in certain set ups makes a big difference. If you don't make it in a lower-level set up it doesn't mean you wouldn't have in the better one.

The thing about Diangana and Mount is they both had managers with a connection to the club they came from. They were prepared to put belief in them and take that risk on. The manager is key.
  • Hamstew said:

IronHerb said:

You will probably get an electronic ticket email sent to you. Have you received an email instructing you to complete the Covid Declaration yet? Once that is filled in they will email the ticket, probably on Thursday or Friday.

Oh perfect thanks. Yeah I filled that out this Morning. Cheers Herb
    Got my ticket email today. If you don't receive before midday tomorrow then phone the ticket office.
  • Got mine today also. Cheers Herb
  • edited January 2022

I think there's something a bit broken about the system of loaning to the Championship. There's a lot of money involved in the Championship now and a lot of pressure and I think teams get these young players in on loan just to fill out their squad but they will rarely risk playing them in case they make mistakes. Diangana was a very rare example and probably largely due to Bilic being manager.

It's what the bigger clubs seem to do. That said, Mount had a great spell at Derby, so it is possible to succeed in this country.

It may just be that our U23s aren't actually that good. PL2 for a reason, maybe.
    Mount did have a great season at Derby, but that came the season after he got 18 goals and assists in 29 Eredivisie matches for Vitesse Arnheim, and played in 6 Europa League matches. Conor Coventry going to the Championship after 9 games for Lincoln a year earlier isn't really the same.

Loans abroad could be a solution, but it's not really working out for Goncalo Cardoso in Portugal, and it didn't for Xande Silva in Greece either.

Maybe we're just bad at picking the right clubs?
  • I think we are bad, in general, at finding suitable clubs. I don’t know how much diligence goes into this process but maybe with Kretinsky’s links & Newman’s expertise we will get better at that. Maybe a partnership with Prague would be a way forward, like Chelsea do with Vitesse & alderz mentioned Mounts development. I get the impression a club makes an offer for a player we don’t consider part of our top 20, we agree, but we haven’t really thought about how that player fits in with that club, whereas when we sign players we do a lot of work to how they would fit in with us.
  • I think a lot of loaning out is about seeing if the players are made of the right stuff, and in most cases they aren't. We are not alone in this, after all how many young players make it to the top, so we shouldn't feel too bad about it.
    Some can, and do, make decent careers in the Championship and below, some in non league and some drift out of football. Natural selection at work.
  • Moyes suggests he may have to play some fringe players in this game due to the PL rearranging the Norwich game for Wednesday.