Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• I’m going to put myself out there and dare to question the master’s calcs

Per excel, 1 Oct 2020 to 30 June 2021 is 272 days which is just shy of 39 weeks.

Preparing now for Alderz to hit me with a counter...
  • https://www.claretandhugh.info/wage-bill-takes-cut-but-losses-mount/

Free transfers is about all we can afford or are they feeding stories again so we don't expect anything

Anything on that site is from Sullivan, so yes, I suspect it's designed to excuse the minimal spend we'll see over the next 9 days.
  • If that is true and we saved £200k or two weeks wages to end his contract it has to be poor, for those two weeks wages surely it would be better to keep him as a bench option in case of an injury crisis (that he may not be part of ).
  • Paid 85% so £600k saved.
  • I’d expect we also saved money on bonuses etc. Otherwise we’d have just kept him as a back-up, for the sake of saving almost nothing.
  • We paid of his remaining time

So if he would be earnt £4mil we saved £600k, as we paid off 85% of his wages

And as Jorderz said, he likely got bonuses for appearances, appearances off the bench and just being involved in the 18

So likely it was more than that, for a player who wasnt anywhere near the first team
  • I don't know what the truth is, but WHU are being linked with Danny Welbeck, another sick-note and perpetually injured player. Welbeck has been paid-off by Watford and his contract has been cancelled. Can;t see why WHU would want him, especially as they just cancelled Jack Wilshere's contract, It would be bizarre to sign Welbeck after selling Hugill and Arjeti. With his record of injuries he would hardly ever be fit.
    https://www.teamtalk.com/news/west-ham-transfer-latest-danny-welbeck
  • McAvennie says he has heard that West Ham are looking to sign Welbeck – a move he thinks should be avoided.

Frank after some publicity methinks.
  • We paid of his remaining time

So if he would be earnt £4mil we saved £600k, as we paid off 85% of his wages

And as Jorderz said, he likely got bonuses for appearances, appearances off the bench and just being involved in the 18

So likely it was more than that, for a player who wasnt anywhere near the first team

Possibly also a loyalty bonus at the end?
  • Well we wouldn't have paid a crowd bonus....or would we?
  • Welbeck / Dawson

The next level
  • The thing that gets me is that Covid has affected everyone, but we're the only club with a negative balance on transfers apart from Leicester of £150k. No-one else has been affected by no gate revenue it seems, just G&S.
  • You can't see me but I'm shaking my head in disbelief!. It maybe lazy journalism but if true then I obviously hope to be proved wrong and they perform well. Not exciting signings that fill me with hope though
  • God please NO surely even these clowns 🤡 in charge wouldn’t sign him, wait Mido benny and now welbeck
  • Pengeman said:

perpetually injured player...... his contract has been cancelled.

Can;t see why WHU would want him,

But penge, you have actually answered your own question before you have asked it...
  • I’m going to put myself out there and dare to question the master’s calcs

Per excel, 1 Oct 2020 to 30 June 2021 is 272 days which is just shy of 39 weeks.

Preparing now for Alderz to hit me with a counter...

Didn’t he leave on 5th October? Which would be 268? Which you’d round down to 38 weeks? 🤔 Tbh I’m glad someone else is promoting #Spreadsheets

I know people are saying he would have got bonuses, but if the bonuses come from playing or being in the squad then we haven’t really saved on that, because when was he near the match day squad?
  • When the first team played the stiffs lol or recovery room v an Andy Carroll 11
  • Wiltshire to rangers according to sky sports
  • So if he ends up with them and gets paid, say £20k a week, then he ends up a winner right, having pocketed almost £4m from us also?
  • Good luck to him.
  • Winston played 90 mins on Sunday and Kansas City have another game tomorrow, if he's in the starting XI then I'd say he's well on his way to getting his fitness back.

Not only was he in the squad but played full 90 minutes and scored the only goal after 67 minutes sign him up lol 😂 😂
  • In August he played a couple of games for them, and then disappeared again. His ability means he will be a nailed on starter in the MLS if he’s fit, so if he can play 90% of the remaining games then maybe his fitness has come back.
  • Hopefully the "powers that be" are keeping tabs on him
  • Might be less strain in that league, he can probably get away with just having good positioning and not have to rely on his body as much.
  • Might be less strain in that league, he can probably get away with just having good positioning and not have to rely on his body as much.

Middle of a back three should enable him to do that for us too though?
  • Maybe. Though I felt Ogbonna was doing a lot of cleaning up for Balbuena against Leicester. If Diop gets back to his best then it might work. Would love to see him back.
  • Still can’t see it think his West Ham days are over
  • Listen, his days are 99% done here. But let us dream for goodness sake.
  • edited October 2020
    alderz said:

In August he played a couple of games for them, and then disappeared again. His ability means he will be a nailed on starter in the MLS if he’s fit, so if he can play 90% of the remaining games then maybe his fitness has come back.

Winston's record at Kansas City

July he spent five games on the bench

22/08 Minnesota (A) 90 mins
    28/08 Houston (H) 90 mins
    30/08 Colorado (A) 40 minutes, hobbled off with a groin injury

03/09 Dallas (H) - not in the squad
    06/09 Houston (A) - on the bench, played the last 13 minutes
    14/09 Minnesota (H) - not in squad
    19/09 Dallas (H) not in squad
    24/09 Orlando (H) on the bench, played the second half

04/10 Houston (A) 90 minutes
    08/10 Chicago (H) 90 minutes

Can't find why he missed the Minnesota and Dallas games. If he stays fit and if Kansas City decide not to make his move permanent then he would be useful as a fifth CB (or 6th if we sign Dawson).

Meanwhile Talksport reckon we're in negotiations to sign Josh King

https://talksport.com/football/771026/west-ham-talks-josh-king-agent-bid-bournemouth/
  • If Josh King lets us play the same way we do with Antonio - then yes please- Been many seasons we have a triangle replacing a square replaced by a circle.
This discussion has been closed.