Covid19: Support and Chat

167891012»

Comments

• edited May 2020
    I can't see any reason why those who voted for him last time will vote Democrat this time round.

Furthermore, if the state of the economy is the deciding factor, they aren't going to blame him for its decline.
  • They didn't vote for him so much as vote against Clinton. After four years of Trump they might want a "normal" politician in the White House
  • Of course everyone wants the country to reopen, the economy to recover and normality to return, however the reality is that it needs to be done carefully and when it is safe to do so.

There is a strong swell of support pushing for the states to reopen in spite of the danger and I have to assume that many are Trump supporters.

My fear is that Trump will be actively pushing and promoting the cause to re-open solely to ensure he maintains his bases vote
  • They didn't vote for him so much as vote against Clinton. After four years of Trump they might want a "normal" politician in the White House

Whilst that might be true the Republicans are all well and truly behind Trump. The Dems are still split. It really does have a Clinton vs Trump feel again. Biden v Sanders considerably split the vote between the Dems very much like the Labour party with Corbyn and other candidates. The hope is people will see what Trump has done in the last 4 years that those who are Bernie Busters will vote Biden this time around instead of not voting at all like some did when they chose not to vote in Clinton after Sanders was sidelined.

Bidens case would very much receive a boost if he did choose Warren as his running mate from a Dems perspective. I think that would persuade a few Sanders supporters .
  • There are some really strong VP candidates, especially female ones, but I not convinced that Warren is the answer, IMO, I think she has been a great public servant but she has nonetheless lost a broad swell of support, I would like to see a fresher face, Stacey Abraham’s a front runner in my book and would be a great running mate.
  • Of course everyone wants the country to reopen, the economy to recover and normality to return, however the reality is that it needs to be done carefully and when it is safe to do so.

There is a strong swell of support pushing for the states to reopen in spite of the danger and I have to assume that many are Trump supporters.

My fear is that Trump will be actively pushing and promoting the cause to re-open solely to ensure he maintains his bases vote

The latest polls found that 75% supported another 2 weeks of lockdown while only 10% wanted it lifted immediately. Other polls over the last month showed that more people were worried about the lockdown being lifted too soon than wanted it ended as soon as possible.

There is a vocal minority staging protests with Trump's support and in some cases organised by people connected with Trump's re-election campaign that get a disproportionate amount of media coverage.

There is also a much larger "silent majority" (© Richard Nixon) who are staying at home because they are still worried about Covid-19.
  • As you are probably aware there is a push to open up the States and our fearless leader recently visited a mask factory in Arizona, (needless to say he chose not to wear one) the music playing in the background..........Live and let die.

Needless to say I doubt that was a pure coincidence
  • edited May 2020
    As long as the economy is open for the polls in November he doesn’t care how many die
  • Really don't see how opening schools, especially for the young age groups that have been suggested, is going to see social distancing adhered to. Nurseries, reception classes and year 1 classes are expected back from the 1st of June; how on earth anyone expects a class (even if it's a smaller class than usual) of 4 or 5 year olds to stay 2m apart at all times throughout a school day is beyond me.
  • I can't really say anything regarding the UK but here in Germany the idea is to start a slow spread of the virus to get immunisation started. Also, children's psyches are so vulnerable, if you isolate them for too long this can cause permanent damage. So control the spread of the virus and clamp down on outbreaks rather than keep everything down with permanent damage to children, family and economy.

But then Germany do have a better health system and do not have as many cases.
    Nevertheless I do think we need a kind of normality in order to bridge the gap until we have treatment or a vaccine, that might take another year and you can't keep people in lockdown for that long without asking for trouble. The main thing is that the countries now have to use what they have learned and also talk to one another.
  • Except the french, and the scousers and dirty Leeds and oh yes any spud :lol:
  • I love the new slogan "Stay Alert"

reminds me of the old graffiti
    BE ALERT
    Your country needs LERTs

:yercoat:
  • Can't believe the Cummings press conference this evening, he came across dreadfully imo. No way he survives this unless he's got serious dirt on Boris (which is perfectly plausible :lol: ). Completely unrepentant which is so disrespectful imo. He's got to go.
  • Cummings is going nowhere because he does the work that Boris is too lazy to do himself

When Boris was Mayor of London he appointed more Deputy Mayors than Ken or Sadiq because he likes having a title but can't be bothered doing anything other than turning up for a bit of publicity

The country had a choice, it chose Boris, its going to have to live with that choice for the next 4 years.

No sympathy from me
  • A Tory MP, a former minister, said in despair this week:

“This is a cabinet of fools led by a hollow narcissist who is nothing without his svengali.

A more perfect summary is hard to imagine.
    To think that the (un)dynamic duo have also led us into the worst period of our history since erm, the last worst period of our history. :biggrin:

And echoing Aslef, from Marina Hyde in the Guardian:
    "The thing about Johnson is that he desperately wanted to become prime minister, and he desperately wanted to have been prime minister. It’s just the bit in between he struggles with."

Also this
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/29/dominic-cummings-cutout-appears-at-rugby-league-match-in-sydney-australia

:lol:
  • So a Knighthood for Marcus Rashford?

Helped raise c.£20m and got the government to change policy on Meal Vouchers for vulnerable kids.

A worthy candidate imo in these days of dishing them out like confetti to a number of nondescripts.

• He'll probably be up for an MBE. Nothing much higher, I wouldn't think. Lots of sportspeople have been doing charity stuff and fundraising so I don't think what he had done will be ranked as being significantly above and beyond what others have done...
  • Not sure about that. I think creating the pressure to change a government policy is significantly above what others have done as it's more systematic and stable. I think even his own charity work beforehand stands over most.