Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• The way I see it right now, if we have any lengthy injury to Fab, Rice or Haller our season would likely be significantly compromised.

And I’d be very concerned if either first choice centre back was unavailable too.

And that doesn’t even take into account loss of form.
  • baracks

So, you're looking forward to the season, then... :wink:
  • Yes, bring it on :lol:
  • If Liverpool have lengthy injuries to Mane, Salah and even Firmano there season will also be severely compromised.
    You can go down the league and take 3 key players away from all teams, bar City, and I think seasons will be compromised in all cases.
  • So, roughly speaking, the monies from the sales of

Arnie
    Pedro
    Edmilson
    Perez
    Obiang
    Browne
    Byram
    Oxford

Has been pretty much used to buy Haller, with a bit left over

I hope, as Jennifer Aniston would say, he’s worth it!
  • Liked what I saw of Haller today. Would have thrown Chicharito into that group for a straight swap. Think we got a deal there!
  • I love saying ‘Alleeeuurrr’ in a really French accent also
  • edited August 2019
    Here's what I make the current squad: (edited in light of OCS post)

13 Roberto (G)
    1 Lukasz Fabianski (G)
    2 Winston Reid (D)
    4 Fabian Balbuena (D)
    5 Pablo Zabaleta (D)
    21 Angelo Ogbonna (D)
    23 Issa Diop (D)
    26 Arthur Masuaku (D)
    18 Pablo Fornals (M)
    8 Felipe Anderson (M)
    10 Manuel Lanzini (M)
    15 Carlos Sanchez (M)
    11 Robert Snodgrass (M)
    22 Sebastian Haller (F)
    9 Javier Hernandez (F)
    7 Andriy Yarmolenko (F)
    32 Xande Silva (F)

= 16 17 players

Home grown
    25 David Martin (G)
    3 Aaron Cresswell (D)
    24 Ryan Fredericks (D)
    16 Mark Noble (M)
    19 Jack Wilshere (M)
    30 Michail Antonio (M)
    33 Josh Cullen (M)

= 8 7 players

Academy age

41 Declan Rice (M)
    45 Grady Diangana (M)
    53 Ben Johnson (D)

So, if no one goes, we have one space left, which can be filled by a home grown player.

To get a non-HG player , we would need either to move a player out, or to drop Silva from the squad.
  • If you see the rumours, a centre back will likely be the only addition, most likely Long if we can sort out a permit
  • Pretty sure Snodgrass doesn't count as home grown.
  • He's a Brit, isn't he?
  • I'm sure I looked it up once and he's not home grown
  • OCS

Good point. He started in Scotland, and didn't got to Leeds until he was 21, and HG only counts for English and Welsh clubs.
  • :whistle:
  • Doesn't that mean that we don't have a spare place?
  • Well-spotted OCS. I’m surprised nobody else spotted that :whistle:
  • Rice thinks not getting Europe would be a failure. Not sure we have a defence good enough for a top 6 / 7
  • Well, he sort of said that.

He meant finishing 7th, which is not always European football,
  • MrsG

No, we have 24 senior players (including Cullen and Silva) so room for one more HG.

I would imagine if we get the Yank, we would be looking to move out Oggy.
  • :ok: yes, that's what I meant - it would have to be a home grown player, or stay unfilled.
  • That would be harsh on Oggy.
  • Herb

Probably, but would we really need 4 CDs at the expense of having Silva in the squad?
  • Maybe not but then Reid should be the man to go.
  • I'd forgotten poor Reido! That would be 5 CDs, which would be too many for sure.
  • It’s a shame we have another Carroll situation with Reid. High wages, long contract, injured all the time. His contract ends in 2023! I don’t think anyone will buy him and he probably won’t go since, no-one would match his wages.

Unless he gets over his injury problems...
  • Reid is not another Carroll.
  • Reid worked really hard for us, did everything he could to stay fit (zero part lifestyle).

He flew in from a NZ games to play 90minutes for us in the same international break where the likes of Kane didn’t play in a friendly for his county in his club home stadium.

Reid has suffered as a result of a chronic back problem,

He’s not even in the same building as Carroll.
  • edited August 2019
    But the situation is still the same, in as much as we have a player that has been, and looks likely to continue to be, injured for large parts of the remainder of his contract.

No-one will entertain buying him, so unless we pay him off, he's here for another three years on big money and is unlikely to play.

• Big Oli :hmm:
  • A brief view from me would be that I feel we need another striker. The first team looks great but I would fear Haller getting injured or not taking immediately to the Premiership and Chico cannot play up alone.

It's worth noting that a window shouldn't only be evaluated by just who we buy but retention also and we haven't done too bad. Arnie is a big loss but I feel we expected it and effectively had little say in it. I am sure we had enquiries for others however but have managed to retain Rice, Diop, Anderson and Lanzini.

Whoever Leicester buy this window it will be hard to see it as a success as they have just failed retain their best defender.
This discussion has been closed.