Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• ;ok

Just needs a run
  • Personally didn't think Johnson was overly impressive last night. Appreciate it was his debut and out of position but he was very tentative.
  • I mean.....He is a recently turned 19 year old who has never played a minute of EPL football up against the reigning Premier League champions who have already scored over 100 goals in all comps this year......on the opposite flank to where he is natural at

He isn't gonna give a MOTM performance, and it looked like City purposefully tagetted him but he stood firm, what else can you expect in that situation
  • I wasn't looking for a MOTM performance and I'm not writing him off but it was a bang ordinary debut.
  • edited February 2019
    Herb, at least he was an improvement on Arthur.
    The MOTM performance was on the other side of the pitch.
  • edited February 2019
    Wow IMO some well HARSH words re Johnson, not sure what u expected??...And playing out of his normal position...

Personally after watching whole game live on TV here thought he played well, and so did Manuel, so that's good enough for me....

Harsh.......
  • I can see where Herb is coming from, in the first 10 minutes they had about 4 chances down the left and the kid looked out of his depth.

He was flattered by the fact they didn't score, it could easily have been a very confidence denting debut...

But TBH I don't think Arthur would have done any better....
  • What harsh words?
  • edited February 2019
    IH, I wasn't actually referring to your comment, either I'm losing the plot or something but sure that there was another post by someone else that has disappeared?....

Not sure, perhaps I'm seeing things!!, Saying that, your comment of bang average, is HARSH!! imo
  • edited March 2019
    So, I’ve been thinking what I would like to see happen in the summer transfer window and this is my initial thinking. Obviously, things don’t pan out the way you want, e.g. someone else might want to leave or we might not be able to sell Hugill, etc.

Goalkeepers

Fabianksi
    Adrian - He will most likely leave
    New GK - Replacement for Adrian; a cheap backup for £5m

Fullbacks

Cresswell
    Masuaku - Sell for £7m
    Fredericks
    Zabaleta
    New LB - Replacement for Masuaku; maybe someone from the championship similar to Fredericks for £15m?

Centre Backs

Diop
    Balbuena
    Ogbonna
    Reid
    New CB - Maybe Gary Medel for £5m who can also play CDM

Central Midfielders

Rice
    Noble
    Sanchez - Sell for maybe £4m if possible
    Obiang - Sell for maybe £10m
    Wilshere
    Snodgrass
    Edimilson Fernandes - Sell for £7m
    New CM - A big signing, someone who’s powerful and has quality, costing maybe £30m-£35m

Attacking Midfielders

Lanzini
    Nasri
    Anderson
    Antonio
    Yarmolenko
    Diangana

Strikers

Arnautovic - Sell for £35m?, assuming he still wants to leave
    Hernandez - Sell for £10m
    Carroll - Release or keep and reduce salary
    Perez - Sell for £5m
    Hugill - Sell for £5m
    New CF - Replacement for Arnautovic; Maybe Maxi Gomez for £40m?
    New CF - Replacement for Hernandez; a pacy player for maybe £15m

25 player squad
    Maybe 15 non-home grown players

Revenue = £83m (8 players)
    Expenditure = £115m (6 players)
    Net Expenditure = £32m

What do you think?
  • pool are in for gomez it seems
  • Carroll is a gonna
  • Release Adrian, Reid, Wilshire, Zab and Carroll that saves c.£400k per week.
    Sell Hernandez, Perez, Edmilson, Masuaka, Hugill & Obiang - c.£50m
    But GK, RB, LB, CB, DM, CM, 2 x ST.

Need to spend £100m minimum.

So easy when it's not my money. ;cool
  • I'd keep Zab & Hernandez.
  • Zab, yes. Hernandez, maybe. Depends on who we can get in and whether we can afford to let him go.
  • I don't think Hernandez suits our style of play at all, though maybe that will change with Lanzini behind him
  • Hernandez has 9 games to convince me otherwise

I'd look to sell him for 2 reasons 1.) He doesn't really suit how we play 2.) He makes £140k a week and can get a decent enough fee for him

Release Adrian & Carroll, extend Nasri & Zab

Actively sell Arnie (35m), Masuaku (10m), Obiang (10m), Fernandes (8m), Oxford (10m), Perez (4m) , Hugill (4m), Cullen (3m) and Byram (1m).

Raises about £80mil give or take, plus I'd be open to listening to offers for Reid.

Spend most/all of that one 2 quality additions, one at CM and a striker

Invest an extra £20/30min on a new LB and striker who can compete for the first XI, plus a cheap keeper (maybe a young one?)

Fab
    Ryan Diop Balbuena Cressy
    Rice CM
    Antonio Lanzini Anderson
    ST

Gk
    Zab Reid Ogbonna LB
    Noble Snodgrass
    Yarmolenko Nasri Xande
    ST

Assess the likes of Johnson, Browne, Diangana, Holland, Trott, Neuville, Diallo at pre season, see if any can fill some of the above spaces/fill up the squad
  • IronHerb said:

Release Adrian, Reid, Wilshire, Zab and Carroll that saves c.£400k per week.

Adrian, Zab and Carroll are all at the end of their contracts at the end of the season but Wilshere has a contract until 2021 and Reid until 2023!!! Buying out those two would be rather expensive.

What about Byram, on our books until 2020?

Arnautovic is going nowhere, the Chinese aren't going to offer £35m in the middle of their season, no other team would pay £35m for him and no other team will offer him those sort of wages.
  • Aslef,

If that is the case, & you could be right, Marko needs to realise that and knuckle down and start playing again. ;ok
  • I think Marko has looked his normal committed self when he's played recently, but the boss is reminding him that he's not Messi and he can sit on the bench if he throws his toys. I like the way Pelle is handling it, but I fully expect him to be back in the XI within the next couple of weeks, and tbh I'd expect him to be our main man again next season.
  • He can't play if the gaffer doesn't put him on and at the moment the gaffer prefers Hernandez.

Arnie only got 20 minutes against Newcastle, 26 minutes and an assist against Fulham, 22 minutes against Palace.
  • edited March 2019
    Unsure how much we will have in the budget in the summer, do we spend big on the two key areas we need sorting and then pick up a few bargains like Balbuena?

Any new arrivals apart from the obvious CDM & Striker will depend on who leaves. I would think we will need another GK, LB as cover for Cressy, probably a back up CH especially if the rumours about Ogbonna going back to Italy are true & if Reid doesn't recover fully. Midfield looks good IF they can all stay fit. If Marko stays would we consider paying a lot for a back up striker?
  • I'd be surprised if we went big on a CDM. Rice is very clearly the man there, and we're not going to spend £20m+ on a subsitute DM. I reckon we'll end up going for a similar sort of player to Sanchez, or someone who can play multiple positions.

IMO the priority is up front. We're likely to be losing at least 2 of the 4 we have, and possibly more than that. We need reinforcements and improvements. I definitely think that LB is a problem for us. Masuaku isn't good enough and Cresswell can't do it alone all season. Other than that, I think the rest should be any upgrades that are available, and replacements for people out the door.
  • edited March 2019
    Masuaku is a funny one. You see a glimpse of why he’s worth keeping & then several games where you think there must be better left backs in the Conference. I thought he was pretty good on Saturday when he came on & was really focused. But you know if he starts on Saturday he’ll get given the runaround by Calum Patterson.
  • Id really like to see us get a dynamic centre midfielder who offers energy, pace & power

I mean Doucoure would tick this box, but I assume his aspirations are probably greater than joining us

Id say a fully fit Ruben Loftus-Cheek would be a shout, but he's a bit risky

Also Masuaku has got all the tools physically, and is actually very good at 1vs1 and always has been, but he just lacks the intelligence to cut it as a premier league full back. He just gets caught dosing every single game.
  • Lukerz said:

Masuaku is a funny one. You see a glimpse of why he’s worth keeping & then several games where you think there must be better left backs in the Conference. I thought he was pretty good on Saturday when he came on & was really focused. But you know if he starts on Saturday he’ll get given the runaworund by Calum Patterson.

I think he's fine in games where we are doing a lot of the attacking and we are in a comfortable position. Also where the opposing RW/RB is not really that good.

Games against better sides and better players, he is so erratic and prone to a stupid tackle or loss of concentration.

I only really like to see him on the pitch when he is basically playing as a LWB/LW.
  • ;hmm See the Hammers are of to china in the summer .And there was me thinking it was just Arnie they wanted
  • Masuaku has to go he is not a defender and he isn't a winger.
  • That makes him a wide midfielder then. ;whistle
  • Hopefully not as wide as Benni McCarthy.

Or is he selling nylons out of a suitcase?
This discussion has been closed.