The manure match thread - Home, 2nd Jan 2017

Comments

• edited January 2017
    I'm going to forget about the referee for now. ;angry Not worth it.

Now I have recovered from the disappointment, which wasn't with anything we had control over, there are many positives to take from that game. We need to play like that in every game going forward and then we will achieve Slav's top half finish.

Our performance was excellent apart from a couple of misses.
    For most of that game it was easy to forget that any side had a man advantage and for us playing against a team like ManU with 10 men for 5/6 of the game and to be able to say that speaks volumes.

Obiang was again fantastic, Ogbonna had a good game, Nordveit did well given he is not a right back, Reid as always reliable and we will miss Kouyate for a few weeks. Antonio is an incredible player but he needs to learn how to finish with his feet. Carroll did what he was brought on to do. Cresswell and Lanzini did a good job as we expect of them but credit to them too.

Right, now for that referee........nah can't be bovvered.

• Losing Feghouli was a especially big blow as he looked pretty dangerous early on and the poor touch that led to the tackle was the first mistake he'd made

Now it's a shame that we now lose him for the next game as I can't see it being resinded

Payet poor again thought he was the right player to bring off you can't just have a player not pulling his weight in the hope we get a free kick

Kouyate will be a big miss, him and Obiang were colossal and a main reason we kept them out for as long as we did and we need him back from the ACoN asap

Many positives especially the attitude of the players so hope we can push on with a new striker coming in as we were made to pay from not having a proper striker today with Antonio's 2 big chances
  • If Feghouli's red card isn't rescinded - I know, I know, it should be - would it be a one game ban or three. I think it's three for violent conduct. Does a supposed 'lunge' count as violent conduct?
  • edited January 2017
    Mike Dean - he just loves those spuds
    ;biggrin

• Adam,

3 games. ;ok
  • Where to start? First and foremost I can't have but express my pride for how WHU performed and responded to the difficult circumstances because there's been lot of negative things written and spoken about this WHUFC team so this season but they showed tremendous heart, work-rate and really gave everything they had; In addition to these qualities we also played some really nice stuff at times and looked much more like our normal selves which is a positive intent and a strong skill based game.

I can only echo what others have said about Mike Dean's performance, it was dismal and to be honest, just abit sad because it's predictable because he is like that the majority of the time-completely OTT and far too impressionable+easily influenced. I feel sorry for Feghouli because he's waited for his chance and he started the game off really well, so to be dismissed for that is gut wrenching. It was a clear 50/50, the ball was clearly there to be won and competed for, but Dean was clearly influenced by Jones rolling around in agony (received minimal treatment) and the players surrounding and harassing the referee immediately as they sensed a chance to con a red card; clear guidelines issued this season about penalising surrounding the referee, no?! I genuinely believe had Mike Dean dispersed the MUFC players first then Jones wouldve been in a less melodramatic state and he would've issued a yellow instead. Don't even get me started about the 2nd goal!

As for us, we put in a really good performance and its definitely something we can build on. The goals conceded were a clear result of playing with 10 men for so long because Antonio couldnt get back to help Nordveidt vs Rashford, etc, etc but to play for so long against a side of MUFC quality was always going to be a serious challenge. My on query could be whether Slaven could've perhaps made some subs earlier to counter attack the physical and mental tiredness.

I'd probably pick out Lanzini, Obiang and Antonio as my stand out players; Lanzini's best performance of the season and much more akin to last season, Antonio put in a real shift ( as per) but combined better in his open play and when he moved upfront he looked alot more assured than in previous appearances through the middle. Obiang was my MOTM; Phenomenal engine, so much great defensive work (some of it would be overlooked/underestimated) and so fearless/composed on the ball- to receive the ball under the substantial pressure he was under and to keep calm, back his technique and retain the ball then move it on or carry it forward really was the signs of a potentially brilliant player for us.

;scarf ;scarf ;scarf ;scarf

• Compared to the Arsenal/Burnley/Hull games, this was an outstanding performance. We had no chance of getting anything after the red, unless they also had a man sent off at some point. So all we could do was play with pride and for the shirt.
  • edited January 2017
    The red will be rescinded. I don't think I have ever seen a such agreement across the board about a red card being wrong. Even Carroll on Chico had some talking about Carroll's intent.
    In fact the only way in my opinion it remains is if they ban Jones. Both player's went in almost identical with Jones actually with the higher feet.
  • edited January 2017
    Just how bad was the officiating?

1) The red
    2) The offside goal
    3) The wonder save from Randolph coming from on offside players shot
    4) the blatant Reid handball in the last minute
    5) Nordtveit's first half lunge
    6) Kouyate's slightly high tackle

Jeez it was bad.
  • My major worry is that with so many pundits saying what a bad decision it was, the FA back Dean to make some kind of point.
  • They regularly rescind red cards. I think they'll make their decision fairly.

I am, though, a bit worried that it won't be overturned because they won't all of them see it as a clear referee error. (Doesn't it have to be unanimous to be overturned?)
  • We were discussing that very thing this morning.
  • I believe it does have to be all three in agreement
  • That Jose/Payet stuff was pretty embarrassing.

Couldn't be a more obvious case of tapping up without actually saying to him come and join us.
  • Luke, what are you referring to?
  • The pat on the head when Payet was subbed I'm guessing is what Luke referred to
  • That Jose/Payet stuff was pretty embarrassing.

Couldn't be a more obvious case of tapping up without actually saying to him come and join us.

The old Harry Rednapp manoeuvre.
  • NEoldiron said:

Luke, what are you referring to?

Yeah what jay said.

He whispers something to Slav with his hand over his mouth (as it his opinion is needed if Slav wants to sub him) then makes an obvious slap of his head as if to say hard luck/well played.

Focus on your own players.
  • Conspiracy everywhere. ;lol
  • I've just looked at the off-side goal again and at the lino - I'm sure I've seen him in another game where he again bottled making a decision. ;angry
  • I hope in as little as 3 -5 years we will look back at these times and wonder how we ever took so long for video referral to become the norm.

This aside however I still don't understand why all disciplinary issues are not reviewable after the match, why is it that a yellow cannot be overturned but a red can? why can something the ref has seen and dealt with not be reviewed if seen to be clearly wrong? In my view any disputed points regarding play should be able to be reviewed. Obviously not goals but any disciplinary matters must be as then players know they can play fairly and be dealt with fairly, and also no one will get away with what some do.

On refereeing I do not watch much European football aside from champions league but is the standard of refereeing better or worse? it appears more and more Premiership matches being decided by referees unable to do their job, Mike Dean is clearly only league one standard if that.
  • edited January 2017
    Absolutely claretandbluesky.

Within seconds of the red card yesterday and before Feghouli had even left the pitch we were all getting messages from those watching at home to say what a huge blunder [polite version] Dean had made.

Why can't the 4th official have a look at his monitor and say in their ear pieces... "err Mike, you need to reverse that red mate".

• From what I can tell the 4th official just holds up the board for subs and added minutes.
  • He also takes the abuse that the ref should get.
  • No reason though, given he is a ref, that his responsibilities cant be added to.
  • Still fuming

;angry
  • Surely also, the lino has got to give an explanation as to why he did not rule Ibra's goal blatantly offside.
  • It was astonishing. The lino is in line with the 2 offside players, who were clearly offside, and Ibra was even further ahead of them. How could he not see it? What did he think he was seeing?
  • Bottled it because it was Ibra, IMO
This discussion has been closed.