The manure match thread - Home, 2nd Jan 2017

167891012»

Comments

• edited January 2017
    My view is that the game has now got so fast, and players are so used to gaming the system, that it has gone beyond the ability of the 'human referee' to do the job 'in real time' to a satisfactory standard.

You either bring in technology to assist or accept that 'in game' there will be errors.

Technology already plays a huge part pre-game (player fitness, game analysis, tactical strategy etc) and now post-game too, with the FA Panel using video technology to review red card decisions given, instances of red cards missed, and other issues such as racial abuse etc.

We have one kind of 'in-game' technology - the goal-line beepy thing. So football isn't the last pure sport, holding out against the pernicious influence of the 21st century and honouring the dubbin-smeared traditions of muddy, jumpers-for-goalposts sportsmanship. ;biggrin

For me, it's a no-brainer to take the next step.
  • edited January 2017
    MrsGrey said:

For me, it's a no-brainer to take the next step.

Tbh, for most people it's a no-brainer, but the game is ruled by dinosaurs.
  • The resistance isn't all bad though. Hawk eye in football has been well adapted and seems faster than in other sports, which naturally have more breaks in them. The concerns about technology slowing the game's pace might've contributed to how they adapted the technology.

I'm for tech if it doesn't slow the game down. If it does, I'm against it and I'm not actually that worried about mistakes anyway. I accept they happen and are part of it all. Soon we won't have anything left to discuss.
  • Slizzy, that's because you can't appeal a two yellow red card ;ok

I know that, I was just adding it in there as another "red"
  • MrsGrey ;ok

I don't know how it would work in practice I just like the idea of it. Could the FA conduct their own interview with the ref post game? Idk that's for the detail people to work out.

I actually think that it wouldn't always be that sort of statement. Since Howard Webb has been on BT Sports with in game analysis, I've personally gained a greater appreciation of the role of the ref. Sometimes I'll be screaming about a decision and then he'll explain why, by the law, the decision was correct. If that sort of stuff happened post game from the ref then I would appreciate that too.

I also think that if we are saying that these highly paid officials (because they do get paid very well now to be preofessional referees) are not able to be interviewed after the game because of fairness as an employee, I don't think managers or players should either.
  • Outcast, if the player is rolling around and the relevant staff come onto give treatment that's is a good few minutes of stopped play that can be used for a quick review, same as when the ball is in the net or out of play - so time is not really the issue. Or even when the ref has blown and the wall is setting up etc.
  • Obviously very pleased the card has been rescinded, especially as I was worried it wouldn't be but fortunately common sense prevailed.

However, I'm getting really sick of these decisions. As far as I can tell, we've been given 7 straight reds in domestic football since the start of last season, and 5 of those have been rescinded. In addition, there have been at least 2 opposion players (Schweinsteiger and Aguero) that I can remember, and can't help feeling there may be another one, that have been allowed to play the full 90 minutes and have subsequently been given retrospective bans for stuff the refs allowed on the day. So match day officials have wrongly had us at a numerical disadvantage 7 times in the last season and a half, bet Jose "champion of bad decisions" Mourinho can't claim that.

5 rescinded cards out of 7. Match day refs feel free to do this to us, but definitely not to the big clubs (note who the retrospective action players play for). Call it what you like, but it's an uneven playing field with this current crop of referees, and we need to be lobbying for change.
  • Change will only happen if they bring in a challenges or video system
  • There was plenty of time for Dean to have asked for a review and get a decision before Jones had stopped rolling.
  • I think he's still rolling.....
  • Last seen rolling toward the Dartford Tunnel. Rumour has it he's heading for the French coast
  • We knew it wasn't a red card before Fegouli (it may not be spelt right, live with it!).

I had received a text from half a dozen mates watching in TV and an alert that GNev had tweeted that is wasn't a red.

The ref getting info that that is wasn't a red would not have held the game up at all, given that Jones 'required treatment'.
  • edited January 2017
    from Garth Crooks' team of the week:

"Manchester United's Marcus Rashford was that player against a desperately unfortunate 10-man West Ham.
    The player had only been on the pitch for a little over 30 minutes and he transformed the match.

It was just as well because referee Mike Dean practically destroyed it with another dismissal this time after only 15 minutes. I'm beginning to wonder whether the Premier League can afford Mike Dean. He's bad for business.

When he sent off Southampton's Nathan Redmond for an innocuous trip on Tottenham's Dele Alli on 28 December I said Dean should "consider his position". Now it's time for the Professional Game Match Official Board to carefully think through whether his judgement has become impaired.

He seems to be the only referee intent on ruining evenly balanced contests for the viewing public by sending players off totally unnecessarily. It's time for him to go." ;clap ;clap
  • I wish Garth would tell us what he really thinks about Mike Dean! ;wink
  • Quite possibly the best thing I've ever heard (read) Garth Crooks say
  • Did you see the video of his opinion on the day? He was not impressed!
  • edited January 2017
    While all the criticism is being directed at Dean, the lino (Simon Long) who bottled flagging Ibra + 2 others offside escapes censure. I think he should also be getting some heavy flak. ;angry
  • I see that Mike Dean has been demoted to the Championship this weekend.

Leeds V Barnsley - Now thats a game crying out for silly red cards...
  • ;fishslap

"Mike Dean. Demoted to the Championship. Has just given a penalty. For handball. And the handball was outside the box."
  • He's a liability.

At what point does he have his whistle rescinded?
This discussion has been closed.