The "I know its only September but..." transfer thread

Comments

• C&H (I know...) are saying that the investment made by the Czech chap will cover debts so fans shouldn't expect any money for January signings.

I do wonder if, by Christmas, we're still top 4/5 and still in the EL they'll bother to strengthen. By luck or otherwise, Antonio has lasted so far so maybe they think they can get another six months out of him before signing support.
  • Anyone feel like Antonio has changed his game a little bit, even compared to last season? He's still physical of course but I don't remember as many big sprints down the wing that he would make last season. Was wondering whether he's adapting his game now to preserve his body and focusing on being in the areas where he's most useful as a striker rather than an overall nuisance.
  • Cant see Lingard being a goer, Newcastle will blow us out the water with something like 20m for him with 6 months left on his contract.

Hlozek would be an interesting one despite being really young.

The transfer fee is irrelevant in his situation.
  • I don't want Sparta Prague to be a feeder club for us.
  • Anyone feel like Antonio has changed his game a little bit, even compared to last season? He's still physical of course but I don't remember as many big sprints down the wing that he would make last season. Was wondering whether he's adapting his game now to preserve his body and focusing on being in the areas where he's most useful as a striker rather than an overall nuisance.

I certainly think Kevin Nolan might have had a word about all that running :p
  • We do have Bowen and Fornals who make those runs these days.
  • IronHerb said:

Cant see Lingard being a goer, Newcastle will blow us out the water with something like 20m for him with 6 months left on his contract.

Not in January it isn't. If Newcastle say to Man Utd they'll give them £20m, then they won't let him come to us for less, and they are very clearly prepared to let him go on a free in the summer so they are unlikely to budge on their price.

Yes he seems to have realised his hamstrings aren't really up to him hitting the afterburners and going warp speed
  • alderz said:

IronHerb said:

Cant see Lingard being a goer, Newcastle will blow us out the water with something like 20m for him with 6 months left on his contract.

Not in January it isn't. If Newcastle say to Man Utd they'll give them £20m, then they won't let him come to us for less, and they are very clearly prepared to let him go on a free in the summer so they are unlikely to budge on their price.
    I might be wrong here but doesn’t Jesse hold the
    trump card? He’s within his rights to run down his contract and leave in the summer as free agent with a nice fat signing on fee.
  • Slacker said:

alderz said:

IronHerb said:

I might be wrong here but doesn’t Jesse hold the
    trump card? He’s within his rights to run down his contract and leave in the summer as free agent with a nice fat signing on fee.
    Sort of. It depends really. Because I don't think Man Utd care about losing him on a free. I would imagine that he will want to leave and play football sooner rather than later, which would mean that it depends on Utd and their January asking price. Alternatively, he might not care about an extra 5 months of not playing, and decide that he'll wait and go on a free in the summer for big bucks.
  • Yup that was my thinking really alderz , I suppose another element is that the World Cup is happening half way through next season but if he is playing regular football from next August it could still be enough time to get in the squad.
    Alternatively he could get in Man U’s team next month start ripping up trees, and get a nice new contract.
  • Jesse apparently really enjoyed his time here and yet still chose to stay at Man Utd and fight for his place.

I can't see a relegation battle at Newcastle being all that tempting, even if he does have a clause in his contract that lets him leave for free if they go down.
  • If Lingard leaves Man Utd it will be for West Ham. He knows Moyes loves him; he knows he'll get games at West Ham and he obviously loved his time here.
  • I'd like him but he's Northern born and bred and tgat may be a deciding factor if the likes of Everton or Leicester were interested
  • alderz said:

IronHerb said:

But it's where Lingard wants to go, not the size of the fee. If they want him out and it's late in the window the price becomes more negotiable.
  • If Lingard did come to us can he play in the europa league having played for Man u in the champions league.
  • IronHerb said:

alderz said:

IronHerb said:

But it's where Lingard wants to go, not the size of the fee. If they want him out and it's late in the window the price becomes more negotiable.
    But that’s what I’m saying. I don’t think Man Utd care about letting him go for free, so I don’t think the fee will become more negotiable. Certainly based on what they did in the summer.
  • I was thinking earlier about transfers, not necessarily just for January but the summer too.

Last summer I felt there were 7 positions we needed signings for, we got 4 of them but one was on loan. For the record, I felt that was a very good window, we weren't going to do it all in one window. We got CM (on loan), CB, GK and a CAM. We didn't get LB or two strikers.

The reason I was thinking about it is because of future losses to the squad. Benrahma for Afcon means CAM joins the list for January, in the summer we lose Kral (loan), Noble (retirement) and will have to fight to keep Rice and maybe Soucek! We're going to need minimum 2 CMs.

I've seen enough from other players that I no longer think we need 2 strikers, 1 will suffice.

So LB, striker, CAM and 2 CM, a minimum of 5 gaps in the next year.

Btw, I'm not saying we need to sign this many, promoting youth if ready works and I'm not saying it will all be done in the next year, this is just my view of where our squad gap is and where the target should be.

Unless we sell someone, I don't think we need another permanent CAM right now, but I'd take Lingard on loan again for the second half of this season. He starts from scratch and needs to re-prove himself.

Striker wise, I'd like Osimhen.

CMs, no idea. Could we afford/tempt Doucoure? Kral on a permanent if he proves himself?

LB is tough too, no idea right now.

Sorry for the essay, I wanted to write things O.o
  • steve said:

If Lingard did come to us can he play in the europa league having played for Man u in the champions league.

He might be playing in the Europa if he stays with United =)
  • If Lingard leaves Man Utd it will be for West Ham. He knows Moyes loves him; he knows he'll get games at West Ham and he obviously loved his time here.

So Newcastle it is then.😉
  • On 27 March 2018, UEFA announced that it would phase out the cup-tied rule for the Champions League and Europa League, starting in the 2018–2019 season. ... This means that players can represent two clubs in the Europa League and Champions League, but only a maximum of one player per club.

Would he get into our team at the moment? Who would he replace?

Also, West Ham seem to be at the point where people earn their place in the team, and need to work hard to keep it, or to win it back. For all his good points, I’m not sure he definitely would or should get more starts with us.
  • He would definitely get more starts with us than them, in that, he would actually start some games. Not every signing has to be someone who will start every week. Lingard would be a better option off the bench than Yarmolenko, Lanzini and Vlasic (at the moment). All of them have started games this season.

Would he get into our team at the moment? Who would he replace?

Also, West Ham seem to be at the point where people earn their place in the team, and need to work hard to keep it, or to win it back. For all his good points, I’m not sure he definitely would or should get more starts with us.
    Benrahma.
  • IMO we really should go for Lingard in Jan.

I feel Man U were hoping he would sign a new contract. Now it seems he almost certainly won't (and I don't blame him, he's not getting games) I think they wouldn't mind getting a few quid back in for him in Jan as opposed to him leaving for nothing in the summer. Especially as Pogba is looking likely to not renew too, and replacing him leaving for free will cost them some mullah.

I agree that Newcastle will offer more than us. However, I hope that due to his history and success with us Lingard will simply turn the black and whites down, and tell MU it's us he wants, so they either accept the amount we offer or he waits 'til the summer.

I do feel though, if we don't get it across the line in Jan, by summer that's a full year of him being away from us and memory fades. He may then be more receptive to a moneyed Newc (if still in the prem) or another northern side may chance their arm, which is more convenient for him.

Plus of course it's cover for Benrahma when he goes off for the ACON Jan/Feb.

Get it done in Jan please Daves!
  • Lingard will go to Everton or sign a new contract with Man U

He's got his family up there and a £3m house in Cheshire
  • I don’t see Lingard coming. It was the summer or nothing for me. The chance he now gone. We’ve moved on & I think so has he.
  • It would appear that Moyes doesn't think so.
  • Lukerz said:

I don’t see Lingard coming. It was the summer or nothing for me. The chance he now gone. We’ve moved on & I think so has he.

I’m not sure what you’re basing “we’ve moved on” on, because everything I’ve read seems to suggest we’ll be going back in for him, which is sort of the opposite.
  • I haven’t seen anything other than rumour. I haven’t heard Moyes say that.

I think his location is very significant. I can actually see him signing on loan for another 6 months in January & seeing out his contract but I don’t believe he will sign a 3 year permanent deal here.

He has a lot of ties in the north & a lot of people who rely on him.
This discussion has been closed.