Transfer Deadline Day. Or as West Ham call it; Tuesday.

Here we go then.

Sky were reporting yesterday that deals were unlikely at West Ham today. Moyes in his post-match presser last night suggested that there was a chance we do something to cover off a couple of injuries.

Personally, if Moyes is to persist with a back three, and with the number of games we'll have across the league and (hopefully) cup competitions, I think we need another CB and, ideally, a RWB. Another pacy attacker would be good too with Cornet, Ings and Scamacca still out.

But I think we'll end up not signing anyone. Shoots of recovery, albeit against Brentford's B team, Everton and League 1 Derby, may have convinced Moyes and Sullivan that players don't need to be replaced.

Besides, Chelsea may have signed every footballer on the planet before 11pm so there may be no-one left anyway.

Comments

• OCS, As you say it's Tuesday. We spent BIG in the summer but even so most of the teams, if not all of them, around us are bringing in new players. David Moyes will dither whilst others pounce. He is still in the mindset that there isn't an upgrade on Antonio out there! I wait to be surprised but then again.......
  • edited January 2023

OCS, As you say it's Tuesday. We spent BIG in the summer but even so most of the teams, if not all of them, around us are bringing in new players. David Moyes will dither whilst others pounce. He is still in the mindset that there isn't an upgrade on Antonio out there! I wait to be surprised but then again.......

I've a had a look. Of the bottom seven teams;

Wolves have signed six, Bournemouth, Southampton and Leeds have signed three each and Leicester have signed two. Everton are the only team not to have signed anyone, but I think that will change today.

Obviously there are no guarantees that these signings will change the course of the club's seasons, but it'll be interesting to see. Wolves in particular, with a lot of new players to integrate half way through the season.
  • Yup we brought in six (seven?) in the summer and that worked out well.
  • Doubt we'll sign anyone, think Moyes has settled into the back 5 formation and is keen just to get everyone fit and up to form

Yes we could do with a new CB but we have 4 senior CB for the 3 spots then Johnson/Cresswell who moyes has used as a CB in a 3 before

Cornet is supposed to be back in Feb, gives us a different option at LWB and across the front once he's up to speed

Ings/Scamacca are big blows but you can't buy a 4th senior CF when you play 1 up top
  • Doubt we'll sign anyone, think Moyes has settled into the back 5 formation and is keen just to get everyone fit and up to form

Yes we could do with a new CB but we have 4 senior CB for the 3 spots then Johnson/Cresswell who moyes has used as a CB in a 3 before

Cornet is supposed to be back in Feb, gives us a different option at LWB and across the front once he's up to speed

Ings/Scamacca are big blows but you can't buy a 4th senior CF when you play 1 up top

I'd be more comfortable if the four senior CBs didn't include an injury-prone Zouma and a 34 year old Ogbonna. It's a big ask for those two in particular to play the amount of games we have coming up over the next few months, IMO.

No issue with not buying another striker, but I'd like to see another attacker brought in on loan if possible. Cornet is due back, but it sounds like they won't know whether his treatment has worked until he plays a game. That to me is too big a risk given our predicament. So someone that can play across the front line, e.g. Sarr at Watford, would be useful, although there's no chance we get him on loan.
  • Callum Chambers seems to be the name doing the rounds ….
  • We should have learned last season that we need cover, especially if we're serious about our cup runs rather than just PL survival. CB is where we need someone in, although obviously a goal scoring forward would be nice too.
  • Got to be some loan deals to be had surely ? we have Europe / FA Cup / Relegation battle to contend with surely this is the best time to utilise the loan market to cover for those injuries we have.
  • Where's the tumbleweed emoji when you need it?

All quiet on the West Ham front; not a peep from any of the supposed ITKs, which with less than 12 hours to go is not a good sign.

Let's just pray to the Gods of Fitness that our squad can hold out for the next four months.
  • The London Stadium or the training ground appears to be a no go area for SSN!
  • Some chatter about us enquiring about Gallagher and/or Phillips on loan.

Probably nonsense, as CM is the one position where we have adequate (and fit) cover with Rice, Paqueta, Soucek and Downes.
  • Moffi signs for Nice
  • Nice is nice, to be fair.
  • Terrible biscuits
  • Hamstew said:

Moffi signs for Nice

On loan with an obligation to buy it’s being reported which we could have done?

• He wanted Nice tbf.
  • Fortune, where would you rather live and work Nice or Stratford?
  • So... anyone got any plans for the weekend?
  • Whitehorse that’s basically what he said
  • Whitehorsehammer, French or Premier League which is better for your career? Didn’t En Nesyri say London was too 🥶 for him! Moffi could still end up playing against us in the ECL.
  • Whitehorsehammer, French or Premier League which is better for your career?

Depends if you're good enough. 🤔
  • West Ham have made a bid for Cliftonville winger Sean Moore.
    The 17-year-old, who can also play as a full-back, is a Northern Ireland U18 international.
  • We're at that stage if the day 😄

Fake news I'm afraid. Andrei Sodomic isn't even a real footballer.
  • Can just imagine the taunting about his name.
  • I did think that but the Soucek like was genuine, maybe he was going along with the joke!
This discussion has been closed.