Transfer Deadline Day. Or as West Ham call it; Tuesday.

Comments

• edited January 2023
    Must admit I really thought we'd bring in at least a CB after letting Dawson go, absolutely crazy to let him go and not replace him with better, but there's been very little to suggest it's going to happen.
  • If you tap on photo next to his Twitter name it brings up a picture in which there are several young footballers including Soucek.
  • Must admit I really thought we'd bring in at least a CB after letting Dawson go, absolutely crazy to let him go and not replace him with better, but there's been very little to suggest it's going to happen.

I'm sure the reason we didn't let Dawson go in the summer was because we couldn't replace him. And yet we've just let him go without a replacement.

I get that Aguerd is fit now, but Dawson was still picked ahead of Kehrer and Ogbonna, which suggests Moyes saw him as an important player. To actively weaken your options in the midst of a relegation battle seems a bit odd to me.
  • edited January 2023
    Reports that Manny Longelo could make his loan at Birmingham a permanent deal for £400k.

If this happens, it will feel like a bit of a youth team exodus. Alese, Perkins, Ekwah, Greenidge, Ashby and now maybe Longelo gone in a short period of time.
  • Fortune will be pleased.
  • Must admit I really thought we'd bring in at least a CB after letting Dawson go, absolutely crazy to let him go and not replace him with better, but there's been very little to suggest it's going to happen.

I'm sure the reason we didn't let Dawson go in the summer was because we couldn't replace him. And yet we've just let him go without a replacement.

I get that Aguerd is fit now, but Dawson was still picked ahead of Kehrer and Ogbonna, which suggests Moyes saw him as an important player. To actively weaken your options in the midst of a relegation battle seems a bit odd to me.
    I saw somewhere that Dawson was going in the summer, but was asked to stay to cover for injuries. The fact he may now be first choice (arguably ) is not really part of the argument/agreement. We have just stuck to our side of the deal IMO.

Reports that Manny Longelo could make his loan at Birmingham a permanent deal for £400k.

If this happens, it will feel like a bit of a youth team exodus. Alese, Perkins, Ekwah, Greenidge, Ashby and now maybe Longelo gone in a short period of time.

For every youth that is at West Ham, very few make it to the first team. Some don’t even make it in the lower leagues. For every Rice, there will be several Nkagia’s. Where is he now? He also left for better chances, allegedly.
  • MrsGrey said:

Fortune will be pleased.

Yes because they are needed. =)
  • Other teams around us in the relegation battle have strengthened and we have kept Moyes and signed nobody . There are not any other sides as bad as Everton we can beat currently so things look really bleak. A cup win here and there is not good enough and however much I like Moyes I feel the board should have sacked him. The players are not performing anywhere near the level needed to win our relegation battle and we just haven’t got the firepower.
  • Didn't we sign Ings.
  • MrsGrey said:

Didn't we sign Ings.

Pesky facts.
  • And Everton haven't signed anybody.

But otherwise, your post is .. erm...
  • edited January 2023
    To be fair, Hutton didn't say every team around us has strengthened.

Fact is that Southampton, Bournemouth, Wolves, Leicester and Leeds have all signed more players than us. Obviously we have no idea what bearing that will have in final league positions, but I can understand the concern with our business (or lack of) in this window.

Don't get me wrong, Ings was a good signing, but does nothing to address the perceived issues at the back, nor the distinct lack of pace in the team.
  • Broken record time.
    Nobody knows who we may have tried to sign.

That is all.
  • But it is only a perceived issue at the back isn't it.
  • So it appears Spurs have too many players on International Loan that they have had to tear up Matt Dohertys contract so that he can go to Atletico Madrid. Expensive mistake by the looks of it. Shame.
  • edited January 2023
    IronHerb said:

But it is only a perceived issue at the back isn't it.

For some it's an issue, for some it isn't.

No-one is right, no-one is wrong.
    Slacker said:

Broken record time.
    Nobody knows who we may have tried to sign.

That is all.

It's largely irrelevant who we tried to sign. Who we tried to sign will have no impact on the rest of the season. Getting deals done, or failing to get them done, will.

IMO, of course.
  • I know we spent a lot in the summer, but our PL existence is on the line, so our dealings in this window seem very strange. I've no issues with Danny Ings coming in although he's not exactly an exciting signing, but bizarre to let Dawson go without having someone lined up to replace him given our CB injury woes (don't we always seem to have issues with CBs?).

If we'd basically told Dawson he could go in this window when we refused to let him go in the summer, then we should have been on the look-out for the last 5 months, if not, then we shouldn't have let him go. I get that £3.3m is a good price for him with so little left on his contract, but it will hardly be good business if we go down because of inadequate cover at CB.
  • So player X decides to go elsewhere instead of us, for any number of reasons and that reflects badly on our our recruitment policy?
  • Slacker said:

So player X decides to go elsewhere instead of us, for any number of reasons and that reflects badly on our our recruitment policy?

Possibly, if it's in a position where we have decided we definitely need to bring someone in, then a decent recruitment policy would have a second, third and fourth choice already identified.
  • So Danny Ings will be enough to keep us up !
    We need more than one player who has seen his best days. A waste of money.

• I suspect only Everton will feel more underwhelmed with the transfer window than us atm; not only didn't they bring anyone in but they sold Anthony Gordon.
  • Enzo Fernandez to Chelsea from Benfica for £106m !!!!!

River Plate to Benfica Aug 22 for 10M
    Benfica to Chelsea Jan 23 for 106m

That's a lot of profit to make in five months. Although it's reported River Plate will get 20Million of the fee due to a sell on fee.
  • OCS, Yes you were right yesterday was Tuesday but in other parts of the country it was recognised as another sort of day. :p
  • Over the last 5 seasons we have spent the 4th highest in transfer net spend in the premier league. How is buying a player like Ings going to help us improve or paper over the cracks of our awful transfer policy?
    Look where we are! The scattergun / no clear plan or playing style policy continues. We buy players to leave on the bench or don’t suit the Premier league like Paqueta and Scamacca and continue with our out of form players.
    This has been going on so long now any improvement is very short lived and seems it is more by luck than judgement.
  • Over the last 5 seasons we have spent the 4th highest in transfer net spend in the premier league. How is buying a player like Ings going to help us improve or paper over the cracks of our awful transfer policy?
    Look where we are! The scattergun / no clear plan or playing style policy continues. We buy players to leave on the bench or don’t suit the Premier league like Paqueta and Scamacca and continue with our out of form players.
    This has been going on so long now any improvement is very short lived and seems it is more by luck than judgement.

This is exactly why I don’t think spending is the way out of trouble. There is no obvious recruitment strategy, and we seem to buy players based on availability in many cases. I don’t think bringing in Any Old Bod would make a single bit of difference.

Our squad is good. It’s really good. We just need the manager to get them firing.
  • Hutton - I think Ings will help us this season but I totally agree with your comments re scattergun transfer policy
  • Well, there was something inevitable about yesterday's proceedings. We finish the window with a smaller squad than we started it with, and are down a senior CB.

We also lost a CM option - although one that Moyes rarely used - and sold four Academy players.

Assuming Torino haven't yet exercised their option on Vlasic, in terms of the financials we had a net spend of c.£5.5m. Ings is now said to be our highest earner (reported to be £125k p/w), which will have been largely offset by the wages saved on Dawson (£45k p/w) and Randolph (£35k p/w).

So there we go. We go into the second half of the season in 16th place, three points of the bottom but in the ECL knock out stages and still in the FA Cup. We have injuries to four key players and fewer options at the back.

We've transitioned to a back three but only have one natural wingback, which is why the Ashby situation is so frustrating because he was our most natural modern fullback that could have been an option on the right.

If everyone is fit, our match day squad is good:

Fab
    Zouma Ogbonna Aguerd
    Coufal Rice Paqueta Emerson
    Bowen Scamacca Benrahma

Areola, Cresswell, Kehrer, Downes, Soucek, Fornals, Cornet, Antonio, Ings

But with current injuries to Zouma, Cornet, Ings and Scamacca, and our injury record in general, I don't think we'll see that squad too often.

But it's all on Moyes now. He's made his bed. Let's see how this one pans out.
  • If it’s that bad OCS there’s always Chelsea.😉
This discussion has been closed.